New pipeline for TACP

From my perspective and recollection the more accurate hindrance was ACC being reluctant, even after Desert Shield and Desert Storm to buy into the need for ETACs until 2000. AFSOC was a bit more proactive with CCT under the Special Tactics Squadron capability umbrella. JTAC was neither a qualification or certification until 2010. JTAC implemented in 2010 significantly beefed up training, qualification and certification of the ETAC qualification program.

AFSOC is actually the air component of USSOCOM, so easier exists as the air component command provides the assets it owns. AFSOC owns Special Tactics Squadrons and the enlisted Combat Control Specialty. AFSOC also created SOF-TACPs to fulfil its component command obligations to USSOCOM, ACC had minimal, if any, involvement in this.

Last edited:
From my perspective and recollection the more accurate hindrance was ACC being reluctant, even after Desert Shield and Desert Storm to buy into the need for ETACs until 2000. AFSOC was a bit more proactive with CCT under the Special Tactics Squadron capability umbrella. JTAC was neither a qualification or certification until 2010. JTAC implemented in 2010 significantly beefed up training, qualification and certification of the ETAC qualification program.

AFSOC is actually the air component of USSOCOM, so easier exists as the air component command provides the assets it owns. AFSOC owns Special Tactics Squadrons and the enlisted Combat Control Specialty. AFSOC also created SOF-TACPs to fulfil its component command obligations to USSOCOM, ACC had minimal, if any, involvement in this.
The initial SOF-TACP's were ACC assets.
4 man teams assigned to SF Groups, and the Ranger TACP's.

I have love for all of you. I really do.

Maybe another post needs to be made, maybe a discussion... point being, as a guy that’s a Troop Chief, right this second, I gotta tell you- there is a lag in information as to what capabilities are what.

BL- I value TACPs and Controllers equally, separately, and sometimes mutually exclusively than what’s been explained here.

Maybe a little less guessing and a little more asking what the current situation may be is in order, no?

Back