Post Progress Reports Here

Well unfortunately I failed on my goals as I have possibly injured myself (once again). I got my 7 miler down and to 7:40 pace and my 3 miler around a 7 minute pace but I woke up one morning and I could barely walk. I have a pain on the lateral backside of my knee near the fibular head. It hurts when I flex my knee and extend my leg without support under my hamstring. I have a physical therapy appointment for evaluations next week because I have taken two weeks off and it hasn’t gotten better. I’m hoping it’s not anything that will require serious time off because I’m ready to get back at it. Anyways I’m still in the gym but staying away from anything leg related until I get the clear.

Going to Run a UBRR today; Still in process of swapping to WVARNG, farther along than before.

January report:
two PT tests taken:
83PU/88SU/15PLU/12:43RN
90PU/89SU/19PLU/13:00RN

6mile run: 46:26 [5 mile split: 37:38]
Training for this: 2 mile run repeats once a week

Rucking: total miles: 30
Longest: 10miles
ruck repeats of 1 to 2 mile per interval at a pace of 13:30-14:30 per mile. Conducted twice a week. Half of the intervals were conducted on treadmill at a 6% grade for hill training, those sessions were at a 15:00 mile pace.

I got good news from my PT. All of my ligaments and my meniscus are fine so that’s a big relief. Basically I had a minor strain on my popliteus muscle, and I’m back on a running plan again. I did a 2 mile run in 13:50 yesterday and it felt fine. Hopefully I can start talking to a recruiter by summer.

Hello, 30-year-old male. Prior service 6 years Air Force. Currently working on getting a contract to get into the Army and go to SFAS. Early last September I gave myself a PT test of sorts to just see where I was after 5 years of college and laziness.
Weigh-in: ~250lbs
Air Squats: 34
Hand release push-ups: 20
Sit-ups: 25
Lunges: 30
Pull-ups: 1
Russian Twists: 25
Back extensions: 60
Dips: 3
1.5mi run: ~15:30

I've worked almost every day since then to get back on track and in shape.
Last week I tested myself based on my previous AFSOC standards:
500m swim: 8:22
Push-ups: 38
Sit-ups: 31
Pull-ups: 5
2mi run: ~17min

Currently, I'm in a 9-week cycle that looks like this.
M,W,F:
AM session - cals, run, stretch
PM session - cals, swim, stretch

T,TH,S:
AM session - Yoga, cals, climbing-specific workout
PM session - swim, stretch

Sunday - Rest

Let me know if any of you verified guys have input or suggestions. I have a good friend that recently separated from active duty SF that I've been getting help from so my program may be a little dated.

Posting because it’s been a while and there’s been some progress in this journey. Found out California is revamping its REP-63 program and got in contact with the proper recruiters. This is huge news considering Utah was one of the few states still offering REP-63. From what I’ve heard (please correct me if this is irrelevant to the thread), the program will function similarly to the Active Duty 18x (going to Infantry OSUT, Airborne, nd SFAS).

My plan is to continue working on fitness (I’ll post baselines and more progress when available) and continue communication with recruiting and work on my paperwork.

Hello, 30-year-old male. Prior service 6 years Air Force. Currently working on getting a contract to get into the Army and go to SFAS. Early last September I gave myself a PT test of sorts to just see where I was after 5 years of college and laziness.
Weigh-in: ~250lbs
Air Squats: 34
Hand release push-ups: 20
Sit-ups: 25
Lunges: 30
Pull-ups: 1
Russian Twists: 25
Back extensions: 60
Dips: 3
1.5mi run: ~15:30

I've worked almost every day since then to get back on track and in shape.
Last week I tested myself based on my previous AFSOC standards:
500m swim: 8:22
Sit-ups: 31
Pull-ups: 5
2mi run: ~17min

Currently, I'm in a 9-week cycle that looks like this.
M,W,F:
AM session - cals, run, stretch
PM session - cals, swim, stretch

T,TH,S:
AM session - Yoga, cals, climbing-specific workout
PM session - swim, stretch

Sunday - Rest

Let me know if any of you verified guys have input or suggestions. I have a good friend that recently separated from active duty SF that I've been getting help from so my program may be a little dated.

If your friend recently got off active duty, he probably has pretty good advise. Not knowing your exact training plan, that looks pretty solid if “cals” is a legit workout and not just 20 push-ups and a pat on the back. I’m not a huge proponent of wasting money on a box gym membership, but CrossFit-style workouts that focus on work capacity are fantastic. I believe THOR3 has some of their programs out there as well. Priority should be on running, rucking, calisthenics and as DZ often likes to point out, grip strength. Cardio and grip/pull strength are invaluable.

As an aside, if your profile picture is an actual picture of you, I might considering changing it in the information technology age. I’m not overly paranoid like some, but there are definitely reasons to minimize what you put out there online in the 21st Century if aspiring to a career in special operations (see the ISIS hit list a few years back).

If your friend recently got off active duty, he probably has pretty good advise. Not knowing your exact training plan, that looks pretty solid if “cals” is a legit workout and not just 20 push-ups and a pat on the back. I’m not a huge proponent of wasting money on a box gym membership, but CrossFit-style workouts that focus on work capacity are fantastic. I believe THOR3 has some of their programs out there as well. Priority should be on running, rucking, calisthenics and as DZ often likes to point out, grip strength. Cardio and grip/pull strength are invaluable.

As an aside, if your profile picture is an actual picture of you, I might consider changing it in the information technology age. I’m not overly paranoid like some, but there are definitely reasons to minimize what you put out there online in the 21st Century if aspiring to a career in special operations (see the ISIS hit list a few years back).
Thank you for your input. Yes, "cals" is a specific workout that is either HIIT or circuit depending on the day/cycle I'm focusing on. I use a local climbing gym that has CrossFit type workout equipment so I either find or program my own workouts based on advice and my current stats. I agree with the paranoia of technology I just wasn't too sure how filled in my profile had to be to get responses and be involved in this community. I appreciate the feedback.

Fitness update:
2/23/20 Weigh-in: 242lbs
~60# ruck-run 5miles 1:13:34
2mile run 16:46
Sit-ups: 51
Pull-ups: 6
750m swim (sidestroke) ~15minutes
Dips: 5
Hex-bar dead-lift 5x3 @ 350#
Squat 3x5 @ 235
Bench: 3x3 185#

@Snuffy33

Probably a good idea that you remove your actual photo, however if you read the site rules you will see that your current photo is a “no go”. as well”.

Because the site takes vetting as serious as it does, members may not have a photo represents them as something they are not.

Since you have not yet gone to selection and are not a Green Beret, you’ll need to choose something different

Thanks for your understanding.

Community Rules

@Snuffy33

Probably a good idea that you remove your actual photo, however if you read the site rules you will see that your current photo is a “no go”. as well”.

Because the site takes vetting as serious as it does, members may not have a photo represents them as something they are not.

Since you have not yet gone to selection and are not a Green Beret, you’ll need to choose something different

Thanks for your understanding.

Community Rules
Rectified

Thank you for your input. Yes, "cals" is a specific workout that is either HIIT or circuit depending on the day/cycle I'm focusing on. I use a local climbing gym that has CrossFit type workout equipment so I either find or program my own workouts based on advice and my current stats. I agree with the paranoia of technology I just wasn't too sure how filled in my profile had to be to get responses and be involved in this community. I appreciate the feedback.

Fitness update:
2/23/20 Weigh-in: 242lbs
~60# ruck-run 5miles 1:13:34
2mile run 16:46
Sit-ups: 51
Pull-ups: 6
750m swim (sidestroke) ~15minutes
Dips: 5
Hex-bar dead-lift 5x3 @ 350#
Squat 3x5 @ 235
Bench: 3x3 185#

Not sure how tall you are, but proper diet/cardio would be big focuses for me if those numbers are accurate. Lighter weight will help with everything. Keep working hard. Believe it or not, when I started my train up as a civilian I was in a similar situation physically. Probably worse at 270 lbs or so and only 6 foot. There’s no magic to it as I’m sure you’re finding out. Baby steps, every day. Discipline and the sky is the limit. Good luck.

Not sure how tall you are, but proper diet/cardio would be big focuses for me if those numbers are accurate. Lighter weight will help with everything. Keep working hard. Believe it or not, when I started my train up as a civilian I was in a similar situation physically. Probably worse at 270 lbs or so and only 6 foot. There’s no magic to it as I’m sure you’re finding out. Baby steps, every day. Discipline and the sky is the limit. Good luck.

I'm about 6'1 depending on who is measuring (that's the average of the answers I keep getting. I'm down from 260 and that was almost exactly a year ago. I've seen more rapid weight loss recently as I've focused on a more caloric restricted diet (I'm focusing on consuming ~2,000 calories a day + rough macros for my goal) my BMR is ~2,200 a day based on age and resting heart rate, but I'm also working out for about 2+ hours 6 days a week. My goal is to gradually drop weight but maintain as much strength as possible while getting as fast over ground as possible in all modes. I've set a target for roughly June 2021 to be ready.
On a side note to anyone, I have some specific training questions for this summer as I work a field job and live out of a truck in the mountains all summer. I'd like to run some ideas off someone for how to continue to train and improve while basically camping for 3.5 months straight.

June 2021? If you have life stuff until then, okay, but you’re 30 and not getting any younger. As DZ has said in the past, the pipeline will square you away physically if you work hard and aren’t a POS. Once you can pass tape and pass a Big Army standard PT test, if there’s no life stuff in your way, I’d just send it.

Edit: For those of you that can pass a PT test, that doesn’t mean slack off and stop working. Yes, you can show up to OSUT not a stud and by the time you get to Selection, physically crush it. But, it’s a hell of a lot harder and requires significantly more effort and extra work. Put in the work now, and once you ship don’t let up. This is the way.

June 2021? If you have life stuff until then, okay, but you’re 30 and not getting any younger. As DZ has said in the past, the pipeline will square you away physically if you work hard and aren’t a POS. Once you can pass tape and pass a Big Army standard PT test, if there’s no life stuff in your way, I’d just send it.

Edit: For those of you that can pass a PT test, that doesn’t mean slack off and stop working. Yes, you can show up to OSUT not a stud and by the time you get to Selection, physically crush it. But, it’s a hell of a lot harder and requires significantly more effort and extra work. Put in the work now, and once you ship don’t let up. This is the way.

Yes life stuff, I'm finishing my master's degree and will be done roughly May 2021 (honestly if it wasn't such a big deal I'd just leave now and send it as you suggested). I also don't currently past muster on the tape test. I can pass a PT test (not crush)

SOCM Update: Recycled CTM and sat around for a month waiting to class up. Licked my wounds and got back on the horse. Passed CTM. In Trauma III now. Having a blast. The instructors are fantastic. The reality of practicing medicine is setting in. Really beginning to understand how any decision I make will affect my patient’s outcome for the good or bad. I feel up to the challenge.

Started on this forum as a civilian. Just graduated the 22 week infantry osut. My first APFT was 242, my final APFT was 282 for my age group, . Maxed the run and sit ups (12:42 2 mile, 85 sit ups). Ready for airborne if covid-19 doesn’t get in the way. Still have a lot of to improve on. Trying to surround myself with the right people.

Started on this forum as a civilian. Just graduated the 22 week infantry osut. My first APFT was 242, my final APFT was 282 for my age group, . Maxed the run and sit ups (12:42 2 mile, 85 sit ups). Ready for airborne if covid-19 doesn’t get in the way. Still have a lot of to improve on. Trying to surround myself with the right people.

Good shit man and congrats! How was basic being a little bit older? Is it easy to find the right people?

My enlistment process is at a standstill with covid. But more time to train.

Good shit man and congrats! How was basic being a little bit older? Is it easy to find the right people?

My enlistment process is at a standstill with covid. But more time to train.
Age is not as much of a factor as I thought it would be. If you enlist as an 18x you will probably be around a lot of other 18x guys. They are generally a little older and more mature, but anyone over 20 with a 110 gt score can get the contract. Even a few of 11b’s were older and joined knowing they would take pay cuts from their civilian jobs. Just find the guys who are focused and take training seriously and it’s gravy. I tried to befriend everyone even the ”shitbags” because, for me, it made my OSUT experience drama free. Some of the younger “shitbags” would entertain themselves by trying to piss off the gung-ho 18x-rays. Stay focused and work hard and you will gravitate towards other likeminded people. I am in airborne now and most of the guys here are more focused than the guys at OSUT.

Hey folks,

Figured I’d post as I haven’t gotten an opportunity to in a while. Got to Benning for OSUT in Jan, and classed up within 10 days. Benning is far different as a prior service dude (and on the infantry side), but the cadre here are top notch (at least my company). All of the prior service 18X’s I got placed with are STELLAR dudes. The younger kids are hit or miss. Some excellent, some dirtbags; as expected. The only foul up right now is this same COVID quarantine. Lost a bunch in the realm of fitness; not sure how much I can say, but there are a lot of restrictions. Snagged a set of Monkii Bars (Improved version of a TRX), and am getting the work in again.
I’m hoping our training timeline doesn’t get pushed back (grad date is end of June), but am looking forward to getting to selection with a great bunch of dudes.

Keep kicking ass gents,
El Jaguar

Back