Post Progress Reports Here

I’ve gotten my diet/nutrition down, fitness is coming along too. I’m down to 206lbs feeling fucking great. Last weekend I did a 20 mile ruck in 8k elevation in some gnarly terrain and felt like an animal. Which is nice cause I still can’t run for shit.

Recruiter is swerving me hard. Still won’t let me take the ASVAB until I get my med waivers approved. Frustrating cause I’ve been trying to enlist for almost 11 months now. But I still call/text him once a week to try and get something rolling. I feel like I’ve made no progress but I’m still motivated. At this point do I find another recruiter in another town? Idk what to do.
Good work man.

It's hard to say if you should get another recruiter. Waivers can often times take a long time to be approved but he should be helping it move through the necessary channels as quickly as possible. 11 months to get a waiver approved sounds like too long, but I didn't need any waivers so I don't have any personal experience with them. If you feel like he is stringing you along. It may be time to get a new one.

Could you give some insight on what the terrain looks like? Should I be doing 12 miles in soft sand?

What times should I strive for 5 mile and 12 mile ruck?

If you can do them on dirt trails with sand, then perfect. I did most my training on asphalt cause that's what I had available to me at the time, but camp Mackall is all dirt roads with a decent amount of sand and hills.

You should strive to get your walking pace to a 14:00 min mile consistently. And work your ruck weight up to 55-60 pounds total. Rucks at selection are around 70 pounds, but me personally, I never trained with more than 55 pounds so I wouldn't injure myself. Remember you want selection to be your peak.

Could you give some insight on what the terrain looks like? Should I be doing 12 miles in soft sand?
What times should I strive for 5 mile and 12 mile ruck?
Google "Sandhills of North Carolina" - AND include the quotation marks.
Anything under the 3hr mark on a 12mile ruck with 55lbs or over should do it.
- camp Mackall is all dirt roads with a decent amount of sand and hills.

as @DZ says, some movements, runs, rucks, are on asphalt, some are on sand, and some are in the sandhills, and some are in the woodline. Be prepared for anything. As the cadre will say and say often - "Do the best you can". 8-)
WELCOME TO NC:
NC.JPG

First progress report: talked to a recruiter last week and got everything set up for my DD-368 to be released from my ARNG contract and sign on active duty with an 18x contract. Waiting now for my BLC date in Oct so when they do my rank determination paperwork they won't take my E5 from me. After I graduate BLC in Nov I'll turn in my 368 and hopefully that'll have a quick turn around on the National Guard's end.
In the meantime I am running five times a week following a plan a marathon runner friend of mine created for myself and my wife and rucking once a week at the moment which I will probably up to 2x a week down the road. I am following a Mountain Tactical SFAS training plan for the strength portion of my training and am making good progress.
Looking forward to getting my paperwork pushed through and going back through Basic for a third time now, which will be all sorts of fun I'm sure. My wife has a Jan ship date for an active duty PSYOP contract so we are having fun training for our respective selections together. Now to figure out what to do with the dog while we are in training...

Brief check in:

Landed a great new job for the near future. Moved to a city in the middle of nowhere (while work from home) because gyms were open. Mentally the sharpest I have been in a long while. Sustaining a winning mindset in the covid year.

Back in the gym has been a humbling grind, but thankful to be rebuilding quickly. Back to ~80% on all lifts and quickly regaining muscle while weight has plateaued (indicating a solid recomposition stage).

Started hitting the bag again at my new gym and actually snapped a chain the bag was hanging from during one of my workout a few days back (see pic). (Yeah it's dumb that I'm proud of it, but when you hit something over and over for years with no visible progress, dumb things make you smile). Picked up MMA gloves and want to join a nearby gym when they open as well.

Overall, I'm most satisfied that this door has not shut in my mind. The longer one contemplates something, the more realistic it becomes. Still unsure if 18x is my path rather than other government routes, but that's another story.

Stay well dudes. To the active guys and the vets, you're fucking legends.

Attachments

• IMG_8608.PNG
    IMG_8608.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
Hello,

Checking in for the first time.
I'm 28, 5'8" 170lbs
I began my reconditioning in Feb/March this year. My initial assessment in March was a 583 on the ACFT with the ball throw, sprint drag carry, and 2mile not maxed out. My 18mile with a 55lbs dry was 4hr38min.
Since then I have been primary using the Mountain Tactical Institute's protocols, which have me assessed on various distances for running and rucking while improving on the base fitness. My running fitness fluctuated over several months, the best overall scores have been a 2mile in 13m, 3mile in 20m and a 6mile in 44m43s. The ruck assessment I did few months back was a 6mile 45lbs dry with a rubber duck in 1hr6min. My strength and strength endurance number are as follows:
~230lbs for bench and full front squat
~75lbs weight pullup and a near BW push press
~110 burpee in 8 mins
~24 pullup when fresh, 18 pullup when worked-in
I am entering the strength phase of the training and I will be able to procure new run and ruck times come Nov/Dec.

My regret is that I did not do enough hill/flat sprints and soft sand training. I put too much emphasis on long and easy run/ruck and I was not educated that sprinting interval type work out is the most effective form of cutting down run time. I have been devoting a moderate amount of effort in grip work with a pair of FatGripz and a sand bucket.

Will provide a further update soon.

Administratively: I'm cleaning up any loose ends on my medical history that could potentially disqualify me. I am also scheduled for shoulder surgery. Post Op I will be doing all the physical therapy in the world to get back to 110%

Physically:
Prior to this new injury:
APFT 300 85+ push ups 85+ sit ups 12:47 2 Mile.
Current 5 mile 35:37
Fastest 12 Mile 2 hours and 40 minutes. Recent 12 Mile was EIB on August 28th 2 hours and 55 minutes.
Max pull-ups 13 (dead hang with metronome)

Can't really do much due to the nature of my shoulder injury so I'm getting better at cardio by training for a marathon + lower body and core calisthenics. Current mileage is at 25 miles a week with my longest run completed 14 miles. Adding 10% more to the load every week while increasing recovery as well.

First Progress Report:

I’m two months from shipping and I’m currently running about a 36:30 5 mile run. Been rucking with 60 pounds; hit a pretty good pace the other day when I hit a 6 miler with a buddy going option 40.
958AF134-015D-416A-BFEB-DC94D009334E.pngMy diet and sleep haven’t been consistently solid so I’m not where I need to be weight-wise. I could lose about 10 pounds and get even faster. I bring up weight because lately I haven’t been able to smash pull ups and push ups; not exactly sure what it is, but I feel that losing some weight, improving my diet, and sleeping better will get me to a better spot. I definitely have a few adjustments to make.

27331E3A-F88A-4AAD-A494-D690BF9D7B9A.png

November 2020:
Got in touch with the NG unit I plan on joining to start enlistment paper work.

Did ruck intervals this afternoon w/52.5lbs dry + 5L water
2x2 miles 25:15, 25:24
1x1 mile 12:39
5 min rest between intervals

Taking a lunch break then off to the gym to work APFT calisthenics, and to begin the reading assignment in the OP.

Alas, I've finally made my way back to SS after the craziness that is my current duty station and navigating the terrible, terrible Admin system that is the California NG.

I'm waiting on a promotion, and then immediately transferring; and then the real games begin.

I had to take the OPAT yesterday with my recruiters. It consisted of a medicine ball throw, standing long jump, deadlift, and a pacer test. All the standards were extremely easy. Didn’t realize this test existed until the recruiter called me on the same day to tell me I needed to take it. I had just got done with some PT and a run, but figured I’d knock it out. All I have left is to ship out come January.

Hello members, here for an update.

Finally finished the pure strength portion of Military Athlete's programming, about time to start running and rucking again.

Managed to do some practice on some basic fieldcraft skills, knots, orienteering, and etc. However, I have not actually get to utilize them in the field yet. Will get to do so this coming break.

Read and audiobook'ed some of the books I've come across over around the topic of SF, and branching out as well. Spent a good bit of November with The Gulag Archipelago, abridged (released Oct. 2020) . Aside from the excellent quality in narration, I get feeling that the book's invaluable insights resonate with the SF motto, thus its worth a mention here in the progress thread.

Will report back when the MTI program starts to re-assess my ruck and run times again.

Hello, I am an Active Duty 2LT 11A. I am currently the executive officer of an IBOLC company while I wait to recover from injuries. I have orders for 10th MTN, 3rd BCT in Ft. Polk.

Prior to joining the Army, I double majored in Computer Engineering and Applied Mathematics with a minor in Physics. I played D1 Rugby before getting a really bad concussion and switched to MMA.

I'm no PT stud and if there is one thing that IBOLC has taught me, it's that I'm incredibly injury prone compared to my peers. I am currently recovering from a severe stress injury in my hips and other issues with my knees and bones. I am currently running 3-5 miles every day, but I can only manage an 11 minute pace. When I was in cycle, I did manage to pass the first 5 mile in 39 minutes, I failed the second one with a 41:36 due to stress injuries and was then told to stop running. I have just started running distances over 1 mile again 2 weeks ago.

Going the Special Forces route has been a long time dream of mine and I hope that I am cut out for it. Realistically, although I will have quite a bit of time before I am eligible to apply for SFAS, I know that I will have a lot more that I can bring to an ODA if I get more PL time and that all starts with getting tabbed.
So here are a few updates since I last posted:

I've been running about 23 miles per week for the 7 weeks following along with the "Run with Hal" 8K program to get my running speeds faster. Unfortunately last week, they caught a new stress fracture in my foot so I had to resort to non impact cardio until today. It turns out I have low vitamin D so they prescribed me some. Hopefully the stress injuries start going away now. My 3 mile time is at a 9:20 pace and my 5 mile is at a 10:07 pace so they are still pretty abysmal but at least they are going down.

I've been doing the Operator Template from Tactical Barbell to increase my strength. I've been doing Dead Lifts, Squats, Bench Press, and Military Press as my block. My lifts are up significantly and I hope I can keep the progress up.

I am 27 years old, 6'0", and currently around 170lbs.

I leave for BCT in less than 3 weeks followed by 68W AIT. Last month I completed Mountain Tactical Institute's Humility program. I have been training in the middle of the day to prepare for the San Antonio summer heat. I did a 5.5 mile trail run on Saturday with a time of 46:14. My 2 mile run time is 13:10. I haven't done any rucks over 8 miles recently, but my 8 mile with 45# was 1hr 51min with an average of a 14:30/mile. Max rep pull ups with palms forward is 16. I aim to do as much personal PT during freetime in BCT. Despite being in decent shape, one of my challenges is trying to not eat crap food as often as I have been. Working at a hospital during COVID has resulted in lots of free pizza from local restaurants!

I will post an update again once I am in AIT!
Update:
Just returned from AIT a few weeks ago. I performed well physically, scoring a 551 on the ACFT with my lowest scoring event being the Standing Power Throw at 8.0 meters (which is a 70/100... yikes.) I definitely need to practice my technique more for that event. During BCT, I did well with the rucks but ended up getting MRSA/cellulitis from a blister I incurred during the final FTX. This was even after changing my socks frequently, so I need to do some more research on the forums for techniques to avoid this happening again. During AIT I was given to opportunity to be able to use the brand new gym facility as often as I could. I put lots of emphasis on leg exercises that will hopefully help me with rucking and overall endurance. I am enrolled in school to finish becoming an RN by 2022 (National Guard): I aim to be in a good position to leave for SFRE shortly thereafter.

Self improvement goals until graduating as an RN:
1. Work on improving flexibility and mobility with bodyweight exercises and stretches
2. Continue to become accustomed to moving under the weight of a rucksack and find a foot-care routine that works well for me
3. Continue to develop study habits that will help me to be successful should I be fortunate and get selected to attend the Q-course

Update:
Just returned from AIT a few weeks ago. I performed well physically, scoring a 551 on the ACFT with my lowest scoring event being the Standing Power Throw at 8.0 meters (which is a 70/100... yikes.)
Tip on this from someone who has been a trainer, maxes the power throw every time, had been one of the earliest certified NG bodies, and has generally gotten people to be able to get way better by making some small adjustments;

1) If you know what a clean is (or a power snatch), think of the motion like that. Your power generation is 100% coming from the hips on that, as it usually does with "power" movements.
2) Cup the medicine ball, don't hold it on the side. Cupping helps make sure you don't yeet it directly behind you, and tends to make sure the force you're providing makes it leave your hand closer to the optimal angle.
3) Use allllll of your leg power. Think of this like the power jump from the Conditioning Drills. If I want to show off and get it farther, I full power jump straight up because that extra height will give you distance. Just remember to land and not fall over the line.

The thing about the ACFT is that there are SO many more vectors to work within the lines of good form but also optimize your movement so that you get the most out of the least.

Also remember that leg tuck, and the push-ups are where you make your money on points.

As for my progress, we're restarting IVO Square One...
Trying TB as it'll incorporate my beloved big lifts while giving me the laterality to throw in BW movements on rings and for PFTs as well as ruck and run a lot, all of which will get me good for a selection trip after a (hopefully happening) mobilization, and fit nicely with Fire Academy for my volunteer dept.

In other news, I hate cardio.

As for my progress, we're restarting IVO Square One...
Trying TB as it'll incorporate my beloved big lifts while giving me the laterality to throw in BW movements on rings and for PFTs as well as ruck and run a lot, all of which will get me good for a selection trip after a (hopefully happening) mobilization, and fit nicely with Fire Academy for my volunteer dept.

In other news, I hate cardio.
Well, I still hate cardio.
But making it all loaded movement with an added 50lbs is at least useful to me. And I'm up 5 lbs. Paperwork is moving for promotion so that I can transfer in. Thanks ARNG?

Sorry I'm late to the party, fellas. I haven't been on here in a while. Anyway, quick background: I'm 29, I'm currently NG Stryker Infantry in a "Ranger Platoon" (a bunch of dudes training to go to Ranger School and SFRE). Prior to this I was Active Duty Air Force in a DAGRE section. I'm 6'1" and my fighting weight is 205 but after getting a little busted up prior to switching to the Army, I ballooned up to a chubby 255. Finally pulled myself out of the slump and I'm currently on the up-and-up at 230.

My last PT test was an RPFT about 2 months ago when I was still at 250:

Push-ups- 60
Sit-ups- 55
Pull-ups- 16
5 Mile Run- 46:02

This was an eye-opener for me because I was always a PT stud on AD. Needless to say I've been getting after it after that poor performance. My platoon has a prescribed training plan for calisthenics:

Everyday do:

Push-ups- 2min max reps, Rest 2 mins, then 3 rounds of 1 min on, 1 min off
Sit-ups- Same as push-ups

I'm also running way more now, following the Hal Higdon 10k plan (free app) which so far has included a lot of medium-long endurance runs at a slow pace. I can feel my endurance increasing drastically for 2 reasons: 1. this program feels legit and well thought-out 2. I was in the worst shape of my life so I'm making progress quickly. The body remembers.

The prescribed calisthenics are not cutting it so I'm thinking of starting Tactical Barbell at the recommendation of someone who used TB exclusively and claims to have excelled in SFAS and Q Course.

TLDR: Was fat and broken, currently fixing myself and making good progress consistently.

Heading to Benning this week. I’ll try to update here when I can, and hopefully I’ll be able to advise on the current training environment during this pandemic. I spent a lot of time practicing rucking 1-2 times a week the past couple months. Usually 40-50 pounds for 4-5 miles at a 13 minute per mile pace. This seemed to be a sweet spot for me. I achieved that pace using advice I read here sometime a while back; jog/shuffle on the straight aways and down hills, then walk the uphills. I’m hoping that I’ll be able to continue to lower my run times during OSUT. I’m just excited to have the opportunity and looking forward to the grind.

Back