Post Progress Reports Here

Last I checked pushups, sit-ups, flutter kicks, burpees, air squats, wall sits, etc. weren’t subjected to quarantine restrictions and don’t require equipment nor much space. And hopefully the cadre let you run, and use the pull-up bars, even if the running is only circles around the CTA. If you get out of shape it’s because you let yourself get out of shape. Don’t be that guy. Adapt. Keep working hard and keep your eyes on the prize.

I’m 30, 5’6 145lbs prior service marine, former Firefighter, and currently AD army. My last apft score was 67 pu 88 su and 13:40 2 mile. 27 pull ups 33 min 5 mile and 2hr 31 min 12 mile. I’ve been training for SFAS in alaska on and off for 2 years and i have class spot in August depending on how this COVID thing pans out. I’ve complete 2 milathlete programs (ruck based selection and 369 work capacity) thor3 10 week program and warfighter athletics performance tier 3. I didn’t find the rules on posting workouts but I’ll be happy to send these to anyone who wants them. I just started using the Soflete program for distance rucks. I have issues with both dieting and occasional over training. I’ve trained solo so its hard for me to tell if I’m doing enough. I’m an understanding of my limitations however I’m not a slave to them. I’ve read several books on SF and listened to countless podcast and interviews. I’ve read the Man in the Arena in high school and it’s been something that has stuck with (more like haunted) me since. I’m not sure if you wanted my thoughts on it or not.

I’m 30, 5’6 145lbs prior service marine, former Firefighter, and currently AD army. My last apft score was 67 pu 88 su and 13:40 2 mile. 27 pull ups 33 min 5 mile and 2hr 31 min 12 mile. I’ve been training for SFAS in alaska on and off for 2 years and i have class spot in August depending on how this COVID thing pans out. I’ve complete 2 milathlete programs (ruck based selection and 369 work capacity) thor3 10 week program and warfighter athletics performance tier 3. I didn’t find the rules on posting workouts but I’ll be happy to send these to anyone who wants them. I just started using the Soflete program for distance rucks. I have issues with both dieting and occasional over training. I’ve trained solo so its hard for me to tell if I’m doing enough. I’m an understanding of my limitations however I’m not a slave to them. I’ve read several books on SF and listened to countless podcast and interviews. I’ve read the Man in the Arena in high school and it’s been something that has stuck with (more like haunted) me since. I’m not sure if you wanted my thoughts on it or not.
Good work man, keep it up and don't hurt yourself.

I am 27 years old, 6'0", and currently around 170lbs.

I leave for BCT in less than 3 weeks followed by 68W AIT. Last month I completed Mountain Tactical Institute's Humility program. I have been training in the middle of the day to prepare for the San Antonio summer heat. I did a 5.5 mile trail run on Saturday with a time of 46:14. My 2 mile run time is 13:10. I haven't done any rucks over 8 miles recently, but my 8 mile with 45# was 1hr 51min with an average of a 14:30/mile. Max rep pull ups with palms forward is 16. I aim to do as much personal PT during freetime in BCT. Despite being in decent shape, one of my challenges is trying to not eat crap food as often as I have been. Working at a hospital during COVID has resulted in lots of free pizza from local restaurants!

I will post an update again once I am in AIT!

April:

I turned in all my med waiver paperwork 4 days before the shutdown, so it’s just been a waiting game. Talked to my recruiter and he’s hoping they’ll be able to open up sometime in May.

Quarantine is strange in the civilian world, but it’s allowed me to really focus on working out, eating healthy, and a lot less drinking. I’m feeling stronger every day.

Other than consistently working out I need to start studying for the ASVAB again. I took a practice test at the recruiting office again before the shutdown and got an 84. But that was 6ish weeks ago now.

This May help anyone who’s about to take the ASVAB - I’ve mentioned it before but the “ASVAB practice test 2019” in the App Store has helped me a lot. Along with YouTube on math. Cause I’m old and haven’t done math in years.

Anyone read any good books lately?

Age is not as much of a factor as I thought it would be. Stay focused and work hard and you will gravitate towards other likeminded people.

6yrs Infantry and 15yrs SF ~ 21 total ~ 6yrs in a SMU. SFAS Cadre for 3yrs. I kept Bubba's important points and deleted the stupid points. These three points are crucial.

Go back and read "Bubba's original post #59. Stick with it Bubba. :thumbsup:

6yrs Infantry and 15yrs SF ~ 21 total ~ 6yrs in a SMU. SFAS Cadre for 3yrs. I kept Bubba's important points and deleted the stupid points. These three points are crucial.

Go back and read "Bubba's original post #59. Stick with it Bubba. :thumbsup:
Anyone here looking for mentorship, take note. When someone with a resume like that posts, heed every last word.

Currently to follow my goal as to become a Green Beret I am following the recommended 16 week THOR3 program on the sorb website. I am increasing the ruck weight and distance however because if I started with as much weight as they want me to I would get no where.

I’ve found a lot of random programs out there that all claim to be the best and all promise unattainable goals so I just found this and since it was on the sorb website I’m rolling with it.

My main weakness so far is running, it’s what holds me back from scoring a 300 and what slows down my 5 miler, any tips on changing my program or finding another to help this would be appreciated.

My PT score fluctuates between a 280-295, my 12 mile ruck with 45lbs is 2:45:00, I can do 13-14 pull-ups, and my 5 mile is at 37min.

My goals are to get a 300 PT score, ruck 12 miler in 2:30:00 or a 15-20 miler at a 14:00-15:00 pace, increase my pull-ups to 20 reps, and get my 5 miler around 35min.

Currently to follow my goal as to become a Green Beret I am following the recommended 16 week THOR3 program on the sorb website. I am increasing the ruck weight and distance however because if I started with as much weight as they want me to I would get no where.

I’ve found a lot of random programs out there that all claim to be the best and all promise unattainable goals so I just found this and since it was on the sorb website I’m rolling with it.

My main weakness so far is running, it’s what holds me back from scoring a 300 and what slows down my 5 miler, any tips on changing my program or finding another to help this would be appreciated.

My PT score fluctuates between a 280-295, my 12 mile ruck with 45lbs is 2:45:00, I can do 13-14 pull-ups, and my 5 mile is at 37min.

My goals are to get a 300 PT score, ruck 12 miler in 2:30:00 or a 15-20 miler at a 14:00-15:00 pace, increase my pull-ups to 20 reps, and get my 5 miler around 35min.

Those are good goals. Make sure you emphasize rucking. The weight at selection will be heavier than 45lbs, and 2:45:00 12 mile will not be competitive.

You will have a heavy ruck on your back through most of selection, so get used to being under a ruck. If the THOR program doesn't already include these, I'd also recommend some lifts like squats, and dead lift, and something to improve grip strength like farmers carries. This will help prepare you for the weight you will carry during team week.

6'6'' / 210lbs

I'm early in my 18x structured training (started 2 weeks ago). I'm currently focusing on building cardio, leg strength, and feet. For the last 4 years I've been an upper body meathead so I'm just focusing on maintaining pushups and pullups (22 pr). Core will be the next major addition to my structured plan.

I'm currently rucking 5 miles 3x per week (2x with 45#, 1x with 65#). In between rucks I either walk 5 miles or run 5 miles. I've had a history of stress fractures (feet and lower back) so trying to slowly build up the miles. Combined per week hitting 25 - 30 miles. All of these miles are in hills. Planning on seriously tracking time soon.

Haven't had a timed mile in awhile but will probably run one mid next week. This weekend planing on doing a 15-20 mile ruck (20-30#) at a nearby national park. Will be great to get off the road and on to some dirt.

Did a 6 miler today with 65lbs, started off just trying to work my stride, ended up racing and having a little competition with one of my buddies halfway through. Ended at 1:16:34. My main struggle was my lower back so definitely should focus more on deadlifts and good mornings.

Plan to run a 5 miler tomorrow, so will post my updated time

Did a 6 miler today with 65lbs, started off just trying to work my stride, ended up racing and having a little competition with one of my buddies halfway through. Ended at 1:16:34. My main struggle was my lower back so definitely should focus more on deadlifts and good mornings.

Plan to run a 5 miler tomorrow, so will post my updated time

I'm not telling you to not run with a ruck on, but if you do- build into it slowly to acclimate your legs.

Training for selection, I never ran with a ruck on. I worked on getting my walking pace and stride down below 14:00 miles. At selection and the Q course I would run during the gated rucks. 50 left foots running, then 50 walking. Never running up a hill and always running down hills. That worked for me, and I never had a problem with stress fractures or injuries. Fast forward to language school and I was rucking every weekend and running the whole way, then playing basketball afterwards. I'd also put on a decent amount of miles during the week in my runs. I got a pretty bad stress fracture in my tibia because I wasn't listening to my body and didn't acclimate my legs to that kid of abuse. I knew my shin hurt when I'd run or ruck but I powered through because "I'm not a pussy". Eventually it was too much to handle, and I had to lay off running for 6 months and had to do physical therapy. Maybe I wasn't a pussy but I was stupid.

All this to say: don't over train, start slow/light and work your way up, and listen to your body in training.

Last I checked pushups, sit-ups, flutter kicks, burpees, air squats, wall sits, etc. weren’t subjected to quarantine restrictions and don’t require equipment nor much space. And hopefully the cadre let you run, and use the pull-up bars, even if the running is only circles around the CTA. If you get out of shape it’s because you let yourself get out of shape. Don’t be that guy. Adapt. Keep working hard and keep your eyes on the prize.

Good afternoon gents,

Almost done with OSUT. The quality of training here took a real nosedive with the COVID situation. In spite of it, a lot of my kids and I have really been able to notch up our fitness. It ended up being almost a godsend in terms of not being relegated to company PRT most days, therefore being given more time to focus on individual needs. More than half of my platoon is running sub-13’s, and we’ve spent extensive time in the field, which I hope will have all of us better prepared to ruck long hours. We’ve definitely been able to turn a bad situation into a positive. Can’t wait for airborne and student company. Hope the rest of you are crushing it too!

cheers,
El Jaguar

Pretty much trained and went through my career same as @DZ - ruck / run straightaways & downhill, walk uphill to make better time. Elevate your legs when you can during downtime.

One thing for SFAS and SUT prep that a few here and elsewhere and my protogé's have used and to accustom your feet to the insides of your boots, don't wear socks {starting with} twice a week. You may have a "few hot spots" after the first two days without socks. Rub those spots with isopropyl alcohol everyday to toughen the skin for the next week. After those hot spots dissipate move on to 3 days a week. (repeat alcohol step)

16 Day Check in:

Legs and calves noticeably bigger and stronger. 5 mile run (+/- 1100 feet) in 55 minutes (PR). Started at 76 minutes the first time a month ago. Making sure to not overtrain feet early on (one pin in each due to minor symmetrical surgeries). Covid fat is melting off. Can't wait to get back into the gym when they open here.

I’ve gotten my diet/nutrition down, fitness is coming along too. I’m down to 206lbs feeling fucking great. Last weekend I did a 20 mile ruck in 8k elevation in some gnarly terrain and felt like an animal. Which is nice cause I still can’t run for shit.

Recruiter is swerving me hard. Still won’t let me take the ASVAB until I get my med waivers approved. Frustrating cause I’ve been trying to enlist for almost 11 months now. But I still call/text him once a week to try and get something rolling. I feel like I’ve made no progress but I’m still motivated. At this point do I find another recruiter in another town? Idk what to do.

Back