Quitting smoking, need some encouragment!

Well done!!

There are still days that I miss smoking, but had I not stopped when I did, I don't think I would be here today.

I look at the cigar thread and wish I could partake, but I've made that mistake before.

I haven't had a cigarette since November 10, 2010. I too still have cravings and think, I can have one and it won't hurt. I refuse to do it.

The connection between smoking and alcohol intake is pretty direct. If you are smoking when you drink, the question is, do you drink alcohol every day?

I believe that qualifies as addicted.

Can't really agree with NavyBuyer here. I have gone 2-3 weeks, even on one year combat tours, without a drink and didn't have the urge to smoke. I have also drank more than a few on a given night without smoking. Regardless, I agree that smoking when drinking alcohol is very enjoyable and tempting and would seem to be very challenging for a regular smoker to separate.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have to come down on the side of @Topkick on this one. There are people who are social smokers, not unlike social drinkers, I wish I could have been a social smoker. I should find some time to look around for data regarding social smokers. Off the top of my head, I think the percentage of the population who are social users of tobacco is less than 1%. There are genetic links found with Alcoholics. The question then is, are there genetic links between social smokers?

There are volumes of research that have been done looking for genetic links with those who drink and become addicted to Alcohol (ETOH), and there are indeed genetic markers. The markers are found in post-mortem studies where access to enough brain tissue is available to see the markers. Alcoholics also process alcohol differently than nonalcoholics. Native Americans have a huge problem, again because of their hepatic processing of ETOH; they also have a higher rate of Gall Bladder Disease, but I am getting off track now. It would be really interesting to see if there is a genetic link with social smokers.

Data on social smoking numbers is lacking, though there are stats on prevalence.

"In the U.S., between 1996 and 2001, rates of nondaily smoking increased in 31 of the 50 states, going from 16% in 1997 to 19% in 1999, reaching 24% of current smokers in 2001.8 Probably because California has advanced tobacco-control policies that include smoke-free workplaces, homes, and public places, the prevalence of nondaily smokers increased from 26% of current smokers in 19928 to 28% in 2002 and to 30% in 2005."

Social Smoking: Implications for Public Health, Clinical Practice, and Intervention Research

Tobacco industry research is always far ahead of the science and med communities so they probably have the numbers. Market forces would prevent publishing them, IMO.

Data on social smoking numbers is lacking, though there are stats on prevalence.

"In the U.S., between 1996 and 2001, rates of nondaily smoking increased in 31 of the 50 states, going from 16% in 1997 to 19% in 1999, reaching 24% of current smokers in 2001.8 Probably because California has advanced tobacco-control policies that include smoke-free workplaces, homes, and public places, the prevalence of nondaily smokers increased from 26% of current smokers in 19928 to 28% in 2002 and to 30% in 2005."

Last edited:
Im right there with ya, Im trying to quit smoking. I don't even know why I do it, I hate the taste, it makes me feel sick, and I hate the smell of it, yet I continually do it and I feel like a giant dirtbag when I pt.

You can do it. It sounds like it might be more of a habit than an addiction. Find something else to occupy you fingers and your mind. Toothpick... pen... cinnamon gum... cup of coffee... there are many things that are better, or at least a lot less harmful, than smoking.

You can do it. It sounds like it might be more of a habit than an addiction. Find something else to occupy you fingers and your mind. Toothpick... pen... cinnamon gum... cup of coffee... there are many things that are better, or at least a lot less harmful, than smoking.
Ill try the gum, ill have the benefit of fresh breath and clean teeth, thanks for the help.

Just stop. All the other measures pale into insignificance next to will power. I've added to this thread over time, I know and the message is still the same, just stop. Don't be discouraged if you fall off the wagon, stop again. It took me five attempts and now haven't had a smoke for 27 years. You'll begin to taste food again, it's worth it mate.

I've had patients who were absolute wimps who never made it to JV sports in high school and were henpecked as hell stop smoking. I've had average Joes stop smoking. I've had some really tough guys stop smoking. I've also had lifelong smoking cessation failures across the entire patient spectrum as well. I was a smoker and it was for me more than habitual, the addiction to smoking has been well established over the decades so the habit idea is secondary. Because smoking is addicting not everyone will be able to stop.

Ther are many smoking cessation helpers out there. Chantix in my practice has had the best success rate. There are patches, gum, support groups and other steps to help along the way. The common denominator in success or failure is desire. If you are unable to stop smoking, the prime reason is most likely that you do not want to stop. That is where you have to start, do you really want to stop? If you are able to sit down a couple of times a day and write down the pluses and minuses of smoking, you may be on the track of stopping. I do not dismiss the "willpower" portion of stopping, the greater the will, the greater the chance.

You can increase the amount you know about the known dangers of smoking. If you can focus on the dangers-V-the reasons for stopping, over time you can alter your mindset into a position of not wanting to smoke. The plus-minus list mentioned above is a step in that direction.

Lastly is the hallmark of all addiction, and smoking IS an addiction, is a relapse. You may be able to string together periods of time when you are not smoking only to pick up again later on. It does not mean you can not succeed later on.

The absolute rules are that you should never quit quitting. When you decide to quit quitting, then all really is lost. Alcohol intake will usually result in lighting up, "just one"....which becomes, "what the hell". Some have said coffee is another reason, and it is a customary time to light up. I've not seen caffeine to have anywhere near the impact on one's resolve that alcohol has. If you don't want to stop smoking, you will continue to smoke.

Best of luck for all trying, and for those who have some time under your belt. There are times when the urge to smoke will hit you, even with many years of success.

Thank you, your words of wisdom will be very helpful in the days to come.

Back