Quitting smoking, need some encouragment!

Stick with mate, the first week may do ragged things to you psyche, but physically there may be some changes, your tongue may feel "fat" as your taste buds wake up again from being gassed etc.

so far it isn't too bad. I have noticed a deff improvement in taste, smell that's negligible as I'm still a bit clogged from the cold I'm getting over, and yes the craving are there but I try and focus on shit like cancer and emphysema to keep me not smoking.

You can do this brother. Keep your eye on the 25m target. Maybe that's meal to meal, day to day, or whatever, but keep chugging along and one day you'll wake up and be through it.

so far it isn't too bad. I have noticed a deff improvement in taste, smell that's negligible as I'm still a bit clogged from the cold I'm getting over, and yes the craving are there but I try and focus on shit like cancer and emphysema to keep me not smoking.

If you have flu all the more reason to quit JB.

If you have flu all the more reason to quit JB.

Wasn't the flu just a cold I got, almost past it, but it did help to get me past it. So into day three of quitting and still going strong. Cravings sometimes are strong but I push through em. I had a good number of beer's last night (to which I'll have to pay for next week in the gym lol) and was pleasantly surprised that I despite the strong cravings I have to smoke when I drink, was able to hold it off and not smoke. Here we go into day three, staying semper yut yut! :p

Johnny Boy: I just had a 64 y/o female that has COPD / Ephysema from smoking and needed to be intubated (breathing tube) inserted cause she could not breath w/o my help. She still smokes with oxygen and this a.m. awoke in severe distress / not responding to medications that I have. Unless you want a plastic inserting tube happy paramedic like myself hovering over you sticking a tube into you're trachea, STOP SMOKING BRO! It is a digusting habit and chics hate it also (well at least non-smoking chics). Oh, and the picture from Mara was a good reminder.

F.M.

You had to know there was going to be clip art associated with this thread...

Ucjwz.jpg

BAHAHAHAHA!!!! very nice marauder! thanks firemedic, things like that deff help to keep me clean! three days in without any nicotine what so ever, doing ok! sleep pattern is still shit due to the withdrawl but oh well, can sleep when I'm dead! other than that and the occasional cravings I'm doing good! no one else smokes here in the house so that helps, just gotta keep at it!

alright, well another day without any smokes done with! I'll admit today seemed like the worst so far, the cravings I had seemed the strongest and my temper flares were a bit more extreme, but can also chalk that up to lack of sleep as of late. Think I'll turn in early and TRY and sleep soundly through the night. Am keeping the faith and keeping my body clean of the smokes! Looking at the crap I'm starting to cough up does help me say "oh fuck doing that shit again" :p

Wasn't the flu just a cold I got, almost past it, but it did help to get me past it. So into day three of quitting and still going strong. Cravings sometimes are strong but I push through em. I had a good number of beer's last night (to which I'll have to pay for next week in the gym lol) and was pleasantly surprised that I despite the strong cravings I have to smoke when I drink, was able to hold it off and not smoke. Here we go into day three, staying semper yut yut! :p

Last edited:
Appreciated Red. Actually I've been drinking almost every night this week (end of semester fun not a habit lol) and honestly haven't had a problem with not smoking and drinking, but I do appreciate it. Have been pounding the liquids, and trust me I'm deff committed to quitting this time (it's my 4th attempt).

Well all, another day brightens, another fight against the withdrawl begins! Actually got a good, full nights sleep so not feeling so drag ass today. Had probably the worst cravings I've yet had yesterday but beat em back! Gonna keep myself busy today with some good reading and also some trigger time at the range! Been awhile since I fired off some rounds, so could use the distraction and practice! Thanks again to all for the support!

Johnnyboy, I just saw this thread. There is some excellent advice given for sure. I am an antismoking zealot. Why? Was I a smoker? No. Never. I just really hate the smell and smoke drives me crazy. Also, Ive been taking care of mother for the past 10 years or so. She has COPD and Emphysema from a lifetime of smoking. She is on O2 24/7 and is currently on 10 liters, which is ridiculous. She basically cant do anything or go anywhere. 10 liters per min O2 doesnt last too long with the portable tanks and yours truly has to lug them around if/when I do get her out of the house. I do everything for her. Shopping, laundry cleaning..everything. If you get the craving come on over and spend the day with me at her house. You will see your future and its not pleasant.
Stick to your plan. See your doc for an Rx for Chantix if you need to. Join a smoking cessation program if you need to. Many hospitals and the American Cancer Society offer them. Nicotine is more addictive than heroin. It isnt easy beating that addiction for sure but keep after it as noted above. Good luck and keep us posted!

Well sadly the range I was gonna rifle shoot at just got bought and became a private range, and the indoor pistol range here in town was closed till later this afternoon to the public so.....crap. Guess I'll pistol shoot tomorrow, but still, dunno what I'm gonna do about future rifle shooting being as that was the only one close by. Sigh....not sure how else to go about venting some pent up rage :p

Well sadly the range I was gonna rifle shoot at just got bought and became a private range, and the indoor pistol range here in town was closed till later this afternoon to the public so.....crap. Guess I'll pistol shoot tomorrow, but still, dunno what I'm gonna do about future rifle shooting being as that was the only one close by. Sigh....not sure how else to go about venting some pent up rage :p

Last edited:
Know anyone personally who has stopped smoking, and has some time under his/her belt? Might be a good resource for questions such as this.

RF 1

My sister is staying with me here at my grandfathers for a few weeks, she quit cold turkey too and has been helping. I try and keep busy with some Battlefield 3 (which sometimes does spike my rage meter lol), reading, and such, just keeping my mind off the smokes!

Back