Retention and Recruitment Crisis

Kinda wish I would have zigged, instead of zagged at times.
Had the opportunity to join the FFL many years ago.
The traditions they maintain in every aspect of Legion life is what I admire them most for.

Legio Patrie Nostra. I had a friend who was un Commandant de Compagnie in 2e REP. Jumped into Mali. Crazy stuff.

All initial active duty enlistments are 8 years of service. How much of that is active service differs wildly. I also did 8 active years. One enlistment, 2 active duty extensions.

Yup. X number of years Active (or drilling for Guard/ Reserve) and y number of years in the IRR, whatever combo, to meet the 8-year obligation. It was that way in '90, and I seriously doubt that's when the 8-year obligation started.

All initial active duty enlistments are 8 years of service. How much of that is active service differs wildly. I also did 8 active years. One enlistment, 2 active duty extensions.
I was referring to the FFL enlistments.
As to AD enlistments in the US Army. It was a total of 6 years when I joined in 1979. I did the entire 6 on AD.
I must have mis-read, pardon my mistake.

I was referring to the FFL enlistments.
As to AD enlistments in the US Army. It was a total of 6 years when I joined in 1979. I did the entire 6 on AD.
I must have mis-read, pardon my mistake.
You had a two-year IRR commitment afterwards, most folks never knew that. Lot of guys found out the hard way when OIF/OEF were running hard. Remember the meme with the fat soldier holding a stack of pizza's? He got out, got fat, and got recalled to finish his service (funny how weight rules were wavered for IRR Soldiers).

You had a two-year IRR commitment afterwards, most folks never knew that. Lot of guys found out the hard way when OIF/OEF were running hard. Remember the meme with the fat soldier holding a stack of pizza's? He got out, got fat, and got recalled to finish his service (funny how weight rules were wavered for IRR Soldiers).
I was on DEP starting May 1979. I hit the AFEES on August 1, 1979.
No offense to anyone here. But, I know exactly what it was because I was the one who signed the papers and, swore in on three separate occasions. IMG_1096.jpeg
This is what the minimum time obligation in 1979 was. It did change a year or two later not sure.
I chose the 6 year option and received the bonus money they offered.

This was a thing then, and it happened quite a bit.

I was on DEP starting May 1979. I hit the AFEES on August 1, 1979.
No offense to anyone here. But, I know exactly what it was because I was the one who signed the papers and, swore in on three separate occasions. View attachment 42247
This is what the minimum time obligation in 1979 was. It did change a year or two later not sure.
I chose the 6 year option and received the bonus money they offered.
I was never enlisted and never worked recruiting. So for the two-year enlistments, is it two active and four reserves/IRR, for a total of six? Or is it two active, two reserves for four total?

Although affecting retirees and not about retention, it's nice bullet regarding a fucked up admin/pay issue, and begs the question, "now tell me again why I would want to join?"

Navy forcing retirees to repay $7M after system 'error'
I ascribe to Mrs Miller's rule of "if I make a mistake in your favor, you get the higher grade, if I make a mistake not in your favor, I'll fix it".

You overpay me, how is that my fault?

This is the highest ranking Officer to speak out.

“For a number of reasons — cultural reasons, readiness reasons, equipment — it’s a weekly topic of conversation,” Mike reports. In his world, people are questioning if this is a credible force, and the war in Ukraine has made those questions all the more evident. His assessment? “It’s a tenuous system backstopped by a lot of committed people who will make it work.”

Cash-strapped Canadian Armed Forces 'tenuous,' veteran soldier says

Not to be outdone by the Army.

AF announces promotions and awards for Airmen who help with Recruiting duty via the WEAR program.

Actions speak louder than words, these blue falcon programs wouldn't exist if recruiting was going well.
What would you do differently to bring even more recruits into this service branch, and how/why do you think that would work better than @DA SWO's current solution?

What would you do differently to bring even more recruits into this service branch, and how/why do you think that would work better than @DA SWO's current solution?
Update medical standards. We toss pills at kids like they are candy, then DQ them (e.g. ignoring the fact the kids have been off ADHD meds for over a decade).

Update medical standards. We toss pills at kids like they are candy, then DQ them (e.g. ignoring the fact the kids have been off ADHD meds for over a decade).

Update and enforce uniformity. Getting a med waiver is often MD-dependent and like Forest Gump's box of chocolates.

Get rid of the stupid tat rules.

Increase morality waivers (I mean, who cares if you smoked dope as a teen?).

Decrease body fat standards. Boot/basic will get you in standards. Maybe have an entry PFT/PRT/whatever they call it these days.

Back