School/Mass shootings are now part of our culture.

Personal liberty versus the greater good. But, it also raises the question of where is the cut off at? One argument to be made is that we already live in a society that is watched and monitored by the government, so is it really that much of an issue to bring a kid in who is posting stuff that goes beyond edgy teenager angst? Or, much like the current gun control debate would it be the start of a slippery slope that once it's initiated there is no stopping it. Personally speaking I'm highly against giving up personal freedom, while I have no doubt enabling LE to have the freedom to grab someone for questioning or a vastly increased scope of surveillance and power would decrease potential crime. Do we honestly need to go the nuclear route?

This event much like the Texas church shooter has similarities in the sense that he fell through the cracks, in both cases federal bodies were aware but paid no attention. In Florida, even the local PD had repeated complaints and didn't even keep a file on the kid.

I'm not sure if it has already been covered by one of the other members but what is the process for something like this? A kid gets repeated complaints to the FBI and local LE about how he's wanting to shoot up the school, how do they go from there? Maybe one of the LE members on here can elaborate?

Some colleges have thier own police force. Wonder what campus assets were available.

What in our culture spawns these personality disorders to metamorphize into murder? Always seems innocents and soft targets. Bullying? Video games? Parenting? Is society as barbaric as it seems?

How on God's green earth did a 19 year old get a hand gun? That's against the law!!!

2 killed at Central Michigan University, gunman 'armed and dangerous' still at large

The US is awash in guns available to civilians, over 300 million of them. They aren't difficult to obtain, legal or illicit.

CRS Gun Control Legislation

Just ask anyone you see in south and west Chicago, for example, where someone is shot every four minutes and there have already been 67 gun homicides and counting. And its not yet even the peak killing season.

The US is awash in guns available to civilians, over 300 million of them. They aren't difficult to obtain, legal or illicit.

CRS Gun Control Legislation

Just ask anyone you see in south and west Chicago, for example, where someone is shot every four minutes and there have already been 67 gun homicides and counting. And its not yet even the peak killing season.

I believe Funky was being sardonic, but your post still raises a valid point. Gun laws in terms of age restriction do little to prevent someone from getting a gun if they want to. More often than not it makes it so people who are doing so legally have to partake in the horse and pony show.

Not sure if this was covered when this article was originally published.

If You Want to Know How to Stop School Shootings, Ask the Secret Service

This is a good piece, G. There is one statement that I would question, as follows:

...multiple people did come forward with concerns. The alleged shooter was on several different radars, but unless he was posing an imminent danger to himself or others, he couldn’t be jailed or forced to receive psychological services.

Like I mentioned earlier, a verbal or written threat to seriously injure or kill someone is a felony in Florida. If any of those students had reported his death threats he could've--and should've--been arrested. If the cops knew about his threats and didn't arrest him, then it's another major fuck-up for the Broward County S.O.

This is a good piece, G. There is one statement that I would question, as follows:

...multiple people did come forward with concerns. The alleged shooter was on several different radars, but unless he was posing an imminent danger to himself or others, he couldn’t be jailed or forced to receive psychological services.

Like I mentioned earlier, a verbal or written threat to seriously injure or kill someone is a felony in Florida. If any of those students had reported his death threats he could've--and should've--been arrested. If the cops knew about his threats and didn't arrest him, then it's another major fuck-up for the Broward County S.O.

Arrest isn’t a cure all, unfortunately. He’d have made bail and we’re right back where we started.

Arrests can’t be made on all crimes, even those the police are aware of. Broadly speaking, the state requires a complainant, a victim to bring charges. Sometimes the state itself can be the complainant, but in a threat case an actual person is required. If the police can’t convince the victim to press charges, then arrest isn’t happening.

I suppose an argument could be made that an arrest may have resulted in the seizure of his rifle. That wouldn’t have stopped anything; he certainly could have obtained another one by multiple means or chosen a different method of attack.

Arrest isn’t a cure all, unfortunately. He’d have made bail and we’re right back where we started.

Arrests can’t be made on all crimes, even those the police are aware of. Broadly speaking, the state requires a complainant, a victim to bring charges. Sometimes the state itself can be the complainant, but in a threat case an actual person is required. If the police can’t convince the victim to press charges, then arrest isn’t happening.

I suppose an argument could be made that an arrest may have resulted in the seizure of his rifle. That wouldn’t have stopped anything; he certainly could have obtained another one by multiple means or chosen a different method of attack.

Our judge will not allow a warrantless arrest of a charge signed by a victim unless the crimes falls under ORC definition of a “warrantless allowed” offenses, ie charges of violence. I just got off the phone with our prosecutor talking about the very same thing..

I am SO disappointed that REI got involved in this. I’ve spent literally thousands of dollars there...now I just don’t know.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...to-its-weapons-sales-nra-ties/&freshcontent=1

CamelBak water bottles, Bell bicycle helmets, Giro ski goggles — these products are all owned by Vista Outdoor, which includes gun and ammo makers among its brands and has a strong connection to the National Rifle Association.

And that’s part of the reason REI, a nationwide outdoor retailer and consumer co-op, announced Thursday evening that it would no longer be ordering CamelBak, Bell, Giro or any other of the 50 Vista Outdoor brands to sell in its stores.

I am SO disappointed that REI got involved in this. I’ve spent literally thousands of dollars there...now I just don’t know.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...to-its-weapons-sales-nra-ties/&freshcontent=1

CamelBak water bottles, Bell bicycle helmets, Giro ski goggles — these products are all owned by Vista Outdoor, which includes gun and ammo makers among its brands and has a strong connection to the National Rifle Association.

And that’s part of the reason REI, a nationwide outdoor retailer and consumer co-op, announced Thursday evening that it would no longer be ordering CamelBak, Bell, Giro or any other of the 50 Vista Outdoor brands to sell in its stores.

They're gonna have a problem. The amount of Vista products in an REI store (I'd never heard of Vista Outdoor) is extraordinarily high. This is a stupid move and is going to affect their bottom line.

Same shit happening up here. A place like REI, MEC and the Running Room both dropped Vista.

Back