School/Mass shootings are now part of our culture.

As far as the "staging" thing goes, as a layperson I get why the officers would follow those orders instead of running in. In a situation that chaotic, people are acting under incomplete information. It seems possible that as far as those officers knew, there may have been a very good reason why they were told to stage; perhaps they thought there was a team inside, perhaps the gunman was about to burst out of the school and get into a place where he (or they, I don't think the officers knew at the time) could have caused even more damage.

That's what I had thought as well, obviously I know nothing about these types of situations or how to handle them nor am I going to act like I do. But isn't it a somewhat decent reason (even if it sucks to do so)to setup for a second to understand what's going on instead of rushing into the chaotic unknown?

I think this is the same thing with the sheriff, I'd rather hear the decision making and thought process behind the command to set a perimeter before I damn them completely.

Depends on your job. If its what your trained and hired to do you go. It primordal for me because of training and experience. As for the Broward deputies it was a situation to violate the command and control to save lives. Job be fucking damned.

Depends on your job. If its what your trained and hired to do you go. It primordal for me because of training and experience. As for the Broward deputies it was a situation to violate the command and control to save lives. Job be fucking damned.

I agree with you completely, I wish they would have gone in sooner to try and prevent it from being as bad as it became. But maybe those deputies don't have the same mentality as you or a lot of the other members on here, whether it be from different levels of training, etc.

I don't know, guess I'm just trying to make sense of the absolute shit sandwich this thing has turned into.

I agree with you completely, I wish they would have gone in sooner to try and prevent it from being as bad as it became. But maybe those deputies don't have the same mentality as you or a lot of the other members on here, whether it be from different levels of training, etc.

I don't know, guess I'm just trying to make sense of the absolute shit sandwich this thing has turned into.

If the deputies didn't have the requisite mindset to go in and engage the shooter they should be ashamed to call themselves lawmen. The response paradigm for active shooter events is so well established now I have difficulty believing they didn't know what to do.

There is a point where a perimeter and other areas should be set up. It's OK to take a quick tactical pause, form into a fire team and then go hunt the shooter. If you're the first guy there i.e. the assigned SRO, the pause should last no longer than it takes to determine where the shots are coming from. But perimeters should not take priority over ending the violence.

If the deputies on scene were unwilling to enter the school then Starbucks is hiring.

I'm eagerly waiting for the transcripts of the radio traffic but what is clear is that there was a massive command failure here.

And if this doesn't make things from stupid to very stupid, I don't know what does.

Two Miramar SWAT officers suspended for heading to Parkland massacre

I actually understand both sides of this. If I'm close to the event, I'm definitely going. So are my guys. So, kudos to these detectives for taking the initiative.

Problem is, they were about 28 miles out of their primary jurisdiction and apparently didn't notify their department they were deploying to the active shooter. That's a problem, particularly where the lead agency hasn't requested aid.

I'm not sure it merits suspension from the team, though.

If the deputies didn't have the requisite mindset to go in and engage the shooter they should be ashamed to call themselves lawmen. The response paradigm for active shooter events is so well established now I have difficulty believing they didn't know what to do.

There is a point where a perimeter and other areas should be set up. It's OK to take a quick tactical pause, form into a fire team and then go hunt the shooter. If you're the first guy there i.e. the assigned SRO, the pause should last no longer than it takes to determine where the shots are coming from. But perimeters should not take priority over ending the violence.

If the deputies on scene were unwilling to enter the school then Starbucks is hiring.

I'm eagerly waiting for the transcripts of the radio traffic but what is clear is that there was a massive command failure here.

Damn, I was hoping that that wasn't the case. Just a complete and utter shit show on all levels. Thank you for explaining.

If a possible mass shooter wants to hone his craft, don't hand him a virtual boot camp (Opinion) - CNN

"There is at least one documented case of a killer using a first-person shooter game to improve his combat skills. According to the Guardian, the Norwegian shooter Anders Breivik told the court in 2012 that he used "a holographic aiming device" in the game "Call of Duty" to develop his target acquisition abilities." ~Jeremy Bailenson

This is out of control. I played Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Doom all kinds of video games and was always able to differentiate between fantasy and reality. It seems to me that everyone is looking to place blame on everything but the lack of parenting and family structure.

Opinions?

If a possible mass shooter wants to hone his craft, don't hand him a virtual boot camp (Opinion) - CNN

"There is at least one documented case of a killer using a first-person shooter game to improve his combat skills. According to the Guardian, the Norwegian shooter Anders Breivik told the court in 2012 that he used "a holographic aiming device" in the game "Call of Duty" to develop his target acquisition abilities." ~Jeremy Bailenson

This is out of control. I played Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Doom all kinds of video games and was always able to differentiate between fantasy and reality. It seems to me that everyone is looking to place blame on everything but the lack of parenting and family structure.

Opinions?

The author's argument is that a potential mass shooter can "hone his craft" by playing virtual reality, first person shooter games. How much honing really needs done by someone already bent on a mass shooting, who has access to guns that can fire in very rapid succession, toward defenseless and terrified targets confined to a small room or hallway? I would suggest, not too much.

On whether this "honing" contributes to "improve... combat skills," I don't know of anything that supports the notion besides the author's reference to an article in The Guardian on a far right terrorist's court tesitmony, though I could be wrong on that.

On whether the "honing" is a contributing cause of committing acts of lethal violence, the research is insufficient at this time according to the APA's Resolution on Violent Video Games.

Guess I missed the memo that I should run over people with my car, fly planes into buildings, buy a rifle an climb a water tower for target practice and go on hate filled murder rampages because I grew up playing games like GTA, AA, and DOOM :rolleyes:. The instances where mass shooters claim they used video games as training or couldn't differentiate between fiction and reality were already mentally ill to begin with. A recreational hobby didn't force them to do the things they did. Not to mention you can learn more about tactics and firearms by simply going on Google...

Maybe if parents were more involved and watchful, their kid wouldn't think the things they do in virtual reality are applicable to real life.

I don't think video games and movies really have much to do with any of this. If you are fuckered up enough to allow video games or movies to cause you to commit a mass murder, something isn't right in the first place and something bad was bound to happen sooner or later. I have been watching violent movies all of my life and have never considered killing innocents.

Another diversion. Mental illness left untreated and/or diagnosed is the root cause. All other stimulation is ancillary to the abnormal mental condition.

Last edited:
The author's argument is that a potential mass shooter can "hone his craft" by playing virtual reality, first person shooter games. How much honing really needs done by someone already bent on a mass shooting, who has access to guns that can fire in very rapid succession, toward defenseless and terrified targets confined to a small room or hallway? I would suggest, not too much.

On whether this "honing" contributes to "improve... combat skills," I don't know of anything that supports the notion besides the author's reference to an article in The Guardian on a far right terrorist's court tesitmony, though I could be wrong on that.

On whether the "honing" is a contributing cause of committing acts of lethal violence, the research is insufficient at this time according to the APA's Resolution on Violent Video Games.

I'm not so sure honing is the right term. I think desensitization is.

Guess I missed the memo that I should run over people with my car, fly planes into buildings, buy a rifle an climb a water tower for target practice and go on hate filled murder rampages because I grew up playing games like GTA, AA, and DOOM :rolleyes:. The instances where mass shooters claim they used video games as training or couldn't differentiate between fiction and reality were already mentally ill to begin with. A recreational hobby didn't force them to do the things they did. Not to mention you can learn more about tactics and firearms by simply going on Google...

Maybe if parents were more involved and watchful, their kid wouldn't think the things they do in virtual reality are applicable to real life.

Parenting is a lost art, and in my view, the death of the nuclear family has much to do with some of the problems we see today. Certainly there are single parents who do an absolutely excellent job raising their children--I know several. But the lack of a supportive family structure can be a contributing factor to unacceptable behavior.

I don't think video games and movies really have much to do with any of this. If you are fuckered up enough to allow video games or movies to cause you to commit a mass murder, something isn't right in the first place and something bad was bound to happen sooner or later. I have been watching violent movies all of my life and have never considered killing innocents.

I don't think there is a causal relationship here. I do think people tend to focus on the cause du jour--video games, in this case--and overlook the cumulative effects of the many, many other things that contribute to the problem. Violent video games aren't responsible for mass shootings on their own, but may contribute to the action in susceptible populations.

Back