Sua Sponte by dick couch

If it is the same guy we're talking about, we used to be in the same unit. Good dude.

We really should get him back here :D

There was a little bird pilot who did time in 7th SFG.
His brother was one of the Blackwater Pilots killed in Iraq.

I he's the one I think he is, he actually wrote a book about his exploits with the Night Stalkers and his time in Blackwater.

I he's the one I think he is, he actually wrote a book about his exploits with the Night Stalkers and his time in Blackwater.

Sounds like it might be a good read. Do you by chance remember the title?

Book description has been released. Can't wait to read it.

"Sua Sponte
Latin for “Of Their Own Accord”
The MOTTO OF THE 75TH RANGER REGIMENT

The 75th Ranger Regiment is a unique and distinct culture among the American military establishment. They stand alone, even among our other Special Operations forces, as the most active brigade-sized force in the current Global War on Terrorism. Since 9/11, The Regiment is the only continuously-engaged unit in the Army, and has had forty percent of its number deployed in harm’s way for the last decade. Their mission is unique. Rangers do not patrol, they don’t train allied forces, nor do they engage in routine counterinsurgency duties. They have a single-mission focus; they seek out the enemy and they capture or kill them. It sets Rangers apart as pure, direct-action warriors.

Army Rangers are not born. They are made. The modern 75th Ranger Regiment represents the culmination of 250 years of American soldiering. As the nation’s oldest standing military unit, The Regiment traces its origins to Richard Rogers’ Rangers during the pre-revolutionary French and Indian War, through the likes of Francis Marion and John Mosby, to the five active Ranger battalions of the Second World War, and finally, to the four battalions of the current Ranger regiment engaged in modern combat. Over that period, a standard of professional excellence and the forging of that excellence is distilled in the selection, assessment, and training of today’s Rangers.

Granted unprecedented access to the training of this highly-restricted component of America’s Special Operations Forces in a time of war, retired Navy Captain Dick Couch tells the personal story of the young men who begin this difficult and dangerous journey to become a Ranger. Many will try but only a select few will survive to serve in the 75th ranger regiment. Sua Sponte follows a group of these aspiring young warriors through the crucible that is ranger training and their preparation for direct-action missions in Afghanistan against the Taliban."

Hey Dknob, I was told by a 160th pilot about a Delta guy who went over to fly for them. He said the dude has burnt in two or three birds in his career, and that was in training!

I just finished Sua Sponte: The Forging of a Moderan American Ranger. It started off slow for me as Mr. Couch covered the history of Rangers in an abbreviated yet thorough review, which for me was all very familiar material. For anyone who is a non-Ranger, it is a good primer on Ranger history and some really great American figures such as Dan Morgan and Francis Marion.
He covered RASP 1 in a very thorough manner, and was vague where he needed to be. I think the non-Ranger reader will get an unprecedented look at what RASP 1 is like, and the Ranger reader will chuckle to himself while thinking "I know what REALLY happened here...". Mr. Couch was obviously a keen observer and shed an interesting light on the backgrounds of both the candidates and the cadre. For anyone who is an aspiring Ranger...this is a must read. I would have killed for an opportunity to read a book like this before I went through. I noticed he was particularly vague in his description of Cole Range, which I guess one could say is the 75th's version of "Hell Week" or "Team Week". For you prospective Rangers out there, just know that whatever you read in this book about Cole Range, it sucks about 10 times more than what is described. Also, every RASP class is different, it is an ever-evolving course, so don't take the training events described as gospel, but rather focus on the principles taught and the personality type the Regiment is looking for, as that won't change. The only dry part of this section of the book for me was the in depth descriptions of things I have done a hundred times before, but these descriptions will probably very interesting for the non-SOF types.
The RASP 2 section was very interesting for me, as I have never really known outside of generalities what goes on in this version of RASP. He had to be vague in some areas to protect the course, especially in reference to the board process and their version of Cole Range. I have a pretty good idea of how the course is run now, which I hadn't prior to reading the book.
He also covers SURT and Ranger School, and that section was brief and not really the focus of the book. Again, for the non-Ranger I am sure it will be very interesting.
He did a great job of capturing "the essence" of a Ranger training cycle. I say "the essence" because he had to leave a lot of details out, but that won't be immediately apparent to the reader unless you come from a SOF background. He mainly focused on the major training that takes place, and does a good job of describing it as well as explaining the purpose of the training.
Overall it was a great read, whether you are a Ranger or not. I would say it is a "must read" for any aspiring Ranger. I have to say it feels good to read something like this, it seems "our story" has finally been told. So many misconceptions fly around about the 75th, and this clears a lot of them up. He does a good job of explaining what we do: Killing or capturing the enemy. It is my opinion that the typical Ranger strike force package is the most professional, lethal, and effective direct action raid force in the SOF arsenal, with only one exception that resides up at ft. bragg (and consists of a majority of rangers anyway) and Mr. Couch does a good job of showing that. He also does a good sales pitch for us at the end, haha! I will personally be reccomending this book to my family so that they can better understand the great things that my younger brother is doing.

A lot of our guys are now going through Ranger cadre directed trainig, as we are forging our own Light Infantry/Direct Action unit.
This is a fantastic review indeed. I will recomend this book to a few guy that I know. They'll definitely need it. Thank you :)

I just finished Sua Sponte: The Forging of a Moderan American Ranger. It started off slow for me as Mr. Couch covered the history of Rangers in an abbreviated yet thorough review, which for me was all very familiar material. For anyone who is a non-Ranger, it is a good primer on Ranger history and some really great American figures such as Dan Morgan and Francis Marion.
He covered RASP 1 in a very thorough manner, and was vague where he needed to be. I think the non-Ranger reader will get an unprecedented look at what RASP 1 is like, and the Ranger reader will chuckle to himself while thinking "I know what REALLY happened here...". Mr. Couch was obviously a keen observer and shed an interesting light on the backgrounds of both the candidates and the cadre. For anyone who is an aspiring Ranger...this is a must read. I would have killed for an opportunity to read a book like this before I went through. I noticed he was particularly vague in his description of Cole Range, which I guess one could say is the 75th's version of "Hell Week" or "Team Week". For you prospective Rangers out there, just know that whatever you read in this book about Cole Range, it sucks about 10 times more than what is described. Also, every RASP class is different, it is an ever-evolving course, so don't take the training events described as gospel, but rather focus on the principles taught and the personality type the Regiment is looking for, as that won't change. The only dry part of this section of the book for me was the in depth descriptions of things I have done a hundred times before, but these descriptions will probably very interesting for the non-SOF types.
The RASP 2 section was very interesting for me, as I have never really known outside of generalities what goes on in this version of RASP. He had to be vague in some areas to protect the course, especially in reference to the board process and their version of Cole Range. I have a pretty good idea of how the course is run now, which I hadn't prior to reading the book.
He also covers SURT and Ranger School, and that section was brief and not really the focus of the book. Again, for the non-Ranger I am sure it will be very interesting.
He did a great job of capturing "the essence" of a Ranger training cycle. I say "the essence" because he had to leave a lot of details out, but that won't be immediately apparent to the reader unless you come from a SOF background. He mainly focused on the major training that takes place, and does a good job of describing it as well as explaining the purpose of the training.
Overall it was a great read, whether you are a Ranger or not. I would say it is a "must read" for any aspiring Ranger. I have to say it feels good to read something like this, it seems "our story" has finally been told. So many misconceptions fly around about the 75th, and this clears a lot of them up. He does a good job of explaining what we do: Killing or capturing the enemy. It is my opinion that the typical Ranger strike force package is the most professional, lethal, and effective direct action raid force in the SOF arsenal, with only one exception that resides up at ft. bragg (and consists of a majority of rangers anyway) and Mr. Couch does a good job of showing that. He also does a good sales pitch for us at the end, haha! I will personally be reccomending this book to my family so that they can better understand the great things that my younger brother is doing.

Just getting into it myself, agree it's a bit slow going at first but starting to pick up more steam! Interesting read regardless so far!

Back