Super Sweet Movie Discussion Thread

Chris Pratt on Terminal List, Kate Winslet on Mare of Easttown, John Krasinski in Jack Ryan, Jeff Bridges on the Old Man, Ryan Gosling and Chris Evans in the Grey Man, Michael B Jordan Without Remorse, Mark Wahlberg, Jason Bateman and Laura Linney in Ozark, Spenser Confidential, Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Lawrence, Don't Look Up, Ryan Reynolds with a heap of Netflix releases in the last couple of years, one of them with Dwayne Johnson and Gal Gadot, Scarlet Johansson's Black Widow along with all of the other Avengers series stuff going straight to Disney +, Adam Sandler, when did he last do a cinematic release? Nicole Kidman and Melissa Mcarthey in Nine perfect strangers, Kidman, Witherspoon and Dern in Big little lies, etc etc.
Personal opinions on their degree of talent besides, they're all traditionally cinematic performers.

Paramount has been running "Major League" almost on a loop for the past week or so but I'm not mad. Despite being as old and awesome as it is, that movie seems to get better almost every time I watch it.

Saw Black Adam last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it. If this is the starting point for DC Films going forward, I look forward to what's to come. Especially with James Gunn in charge of creative side. For Black Adam's first outing, they threw a lot of VFX heavy, action scenes, at it but it still felt balanced.
And to be honest I was just going to see Superman on the big screen. lol

Last edited:
Devotion will be in theaters for Thanksgiving. I'm looking forward to that; it looks promising and worthy of the big screen.
Saw Devotion last night.

It was good and, generally, stayed very true to the story, which I appreciated. As expected, the aerial cinematography was amazing. Liked the fact they gave the Korean War some attention with a little historical accuracy.

That said, while the movie tried to spend a lot of time on character development - and the characters were likeable enough, it just seemed to be missing something in terms of chemistry or something. I can't quite put my finger on it. It was a bit on the slower side in getting started and, at times, it felt like the producers maybe weren't sure what kind of story they wanted to tell. As a result, they weren't able to tie/transition between some of the story lines as effectively as they probably should've.

Nonetheless, it was still worth seeing in the theater. I give it around a 6.5...maybe 7.

Last edited:
Watched Slumberland this morning.

Is a good family friendly kids movie. Newly orphaned kid (Marlow Barkley) is sent to live with her uncle (Phillip Dowd) after her Dad, a Light Keep, dies.

Adjusting to death looks like the kid trying to find something very important in their dreams each night, meeting in those dreams a spaz outlaw (Jason Momoa).

Good cinematography and soundtrack. Mild conflict. Themes: "kid adult emotion" and "parents are people too" and "Family is forever," (I just made these up- if they actually exist- I got nothing, just how it seemed watching it).

A nice kid and adult movie.

Pepsi, where’s my Jet?
(Netflix)

I kinda sorta remember this playing out in the USA Today.

Short documentary about the kid (20 year old) who figured out how to collect enough Pepsi Points in the 90’s to redeem for the advertised Harrier Jet.

Binged four 40-minute episodes last night. A few thoughts:

- I didn’t hate the dude like I thought I would.

- Cindy Crawford may be more beautiful at 56 years old than she was “hot” in her 20’s. Wow.

- Pepsi f’d up multiple times but a billion dollar company is given a LOT of grace from the media, the courts, and even the government.

It reminded me of the 80’s when I’d play Mountain Dew blackjack. (Your “card” would be stenciled into the bottom of the can after you drank it)

Binging Bronson movies today. Finishing up "Breakout" now, "Hard Times" starts in a few. This is the definitive Charles Bronson flick. Think I heard him state during an interview once. That this was the movie he had always wanted to make. Depression era released convict. Who rises to the top of the bare knuckle fight game in and around New Orleans Louisiana.
It's Charles Bronson, 'nuff said!

Yo. Bullet train on Netflix- it’s a crazy thick ensemble cast and a well constructed movie. Put your brain in the late 90’s a la Oceans, mix in a Tarantino level of gore and a GREAT Brad Pitt. For a throwaway action movie? 8.75 or 9 out of ten.

Add in a dash of 'Lost in Translation' and you've nailed it.

Not theater-worthy (even coming as someone using AMC Stubs to watch it there for free) but still a fun actiony popcorn flick.

6.5-7 out of 10.

Last edited:
Back