Syria Thread

"During our strike of Iranian & Syrian terror targets, a Syrian air defence missile was fired despite clear warnings to refrain from such fire. As a result, a number of Syrian aerial defence batteries were destroyed," the IDF said.

:ROFLMAO:
Exactly lol.

Get out your popcorn. Is my assumption correct that large scale direct conflict between Turkey/Russia in Syria would not trigger Article 5 since this is outside of Turkish borders?

Erdogan has publicly considered invoking Article 5 a couple of times during the Syrian Civil War over the downing of a radar plane and the protection of a tomb but it was not met with any enthusiasm by NATO as a whole. From a civilian interpretation, it appears Turkey is barely a NATO member as they continually stymie us with fuqq boi moves (see Germans at Incirlik to name one). Fair to say they are the "Pakistan" of NATO?

Get out your popcorn. Is my assumption correct that large scale direct conflict between Turkey/Russia in Syria would not trigger Article 5 since this is outside of Turkish borders?

Erdogan has publicly considered invoking Article 5 a couple of times during the Syrian Civil War over the downing of a radar plane and the protection of a tomb but it was not met with any enthusiasm by NATO as a whole. From a civilian interpretation, it appears Turkey is barely a NATO member as they continually stymie us with fuqq boi moves (see Germans at Incirlik to name one). Fair to say they are the "Pakistan" of NATO?
Yes, that would have to be a non Article 5 request.

Us in a war with Russian on the side of Turkey?

NATO or not, no one is going to rush to Turkey's aid. We'd maybe provide some ISR support or something but even that is doubtful because of the Russian ADA presence.

I don't see NATO caring unless Russian went north into Turkey.

Us in a war with Russian on the side of Turkey?

NATO or not, no one is going to rush to Turkey's aid. We'd maybe provide some ISR support or something but even that is doubtful because of the Russian ADA presence.

I don't see NATO caring unless Russian went north into Turkey.

We could almost be talking about Libya too.

Turkey is deploying a fuck ton of regular army man power to take Idlib. The amount of takes on HETTs is rather impressive from a military lift perspective.

So after they take it, what are they going to do with it? Many people basically posit that Erdogan is trying to re-form the Ottoman state in modern times.

Turkey is deploying a fuck ton of regular army man power to take Idlib. The amount of takes on HETTs is rather impressive from a military lift perspective.

So after they take it, what are they going to do with it? Many people basically posit that Erdogan is trying to re-form the Ottoman state in modern times.

The Russians will only tolerate so much militarily and we'll only tolerate so much politically.

The Turks are out of the F-35 program and buying Russian ADA hardware. If they square off against the Russians, that avenue fails. If they think NATO will bail them out, I think that door is closed.

The Turks are overplaying their hand right now. Better to lay the smack down on Syrian/ Kurdish asses then pull out instead of messing with the bull.

Back