The ACA/ Obamacare Website Fiasco Thread

@JHD diabetes is a pre-cursor to 4,6,9 on your list. So therefore you can combine those as well as diabetes. You don't just have type 2 diabetes most of the time, it is like a combo meal, it comes with hypertension(increased risk of stroke, heart attack) also decreased perfusion further elevates risk of stroke. If health existed in a vacuum then yeah those other things are expensive, but when three of them are due to another disease, it changes your perspective on cost

Along the same lines as to smoking 2,3,4,7,11,10...

So now we are requiring tobacco, soda, and fast food companies to subsidize healthcare? let's add in the auto industry, because cars cause accidents, and let's add in companies that make chocolate and candy in general, then America will be healthy and healthcare will be cheap right?

So now we are requiring tobacco, soda, and fast food companies to subsidize healthcare? let's add in the auto industry, because cars cause accidents, and let's add in companies that make chocolate and candy in general, then America will be healthy and healthcare will be cheap right?

Who do we add to cover those injured in natural disasters, slip and falls on icy streets, and falling icicles? If we can figure that one out, we'll really be getting somewhere. @JHD, I can't at all understand how you can think these companies should be held responsible for people knowingly making choices that have well-documented health risks. IMO, the people that create healthcare burden becasue they chose to make unhealthy choices for years should not be covered by anyone. If they can't pay for it themselves, then too bad. We don't have an obligation as a society to keep every fatass alive for as long as possible while they continue to scarf down Big Macs, Twinkies, and whatever else they shove down their gullets.

No. Big tobacco 1st. Fast food 2nd. I get that you disagree. I disagree with paying for other people's medical bills, subsidizing their insurance, etc. I had nothing to do with their poor choices.

@CDG my point is you and I and everyone else is being forced to do exactly what you say we shouldn't be doing. My point is that if anyone can't pay for their healthcare and the results of their poor choices, the citizens shouldn't be forced by the govt to cover their health care.

If the govt wants to force someone to pay for it, force the companies that gained from the sale of the product.

Taking earnings from the taxpayer to cover these costs doesn't mean that the govt is kind and caring. Anytime the govt gets involved in helping fix a bad situation, they usually screw it up.

Here's a thought. If you make bad choices they are yours and yours alone. If you get cancer, diabetes etc because of them that is your problem not mine. I don't have the inclination to pay for your poor choices so stay the fuck out of my money. McDonalds, tobacco companies etc are not liable for YOUR poor choices. Man up and accept responsibility for YOUR poor choices.

The government has NO RIGHT to make you spend your money on something you do not want. Why they think they do is beyond understanding.

It is fucked up, this bill needs to be revoked.

There is a huge difference in the reasons nicotine is more addictive. It has just as much to do with Psychological and social reasons as it does for physiological reasons. Opiates cause a physical dependency, which nicotine certainly doesn't do to the same level.Opiates withdrawal can kill someone. Nicotine withdrawal not so much. Tell anyone who has been through opiate withdrawal that nicotine is more addictive, you will get laughed out if the room.
I think you miss my point. Why were those people in Kentucky not asked "do you drink alcohol" or "do you eat donuts" or "do you drink Big Gulps"? Why is smoking the only pre-existing condition that will cause a penalty in premiums for those that pay for their coverage vs seemingly to actually qualify one for Medicaid of Kentucky?

I think you miss my point. Why were those people in Kentucky not asked "do you drink alcohol" or "do you eat donuts" or "do you drink Big Gulps"? Why is smoking the only pre-existing condition that will cause a penalty in premiums for those that pay for their coverage vs seemingly to actually qualify one for Medicaid of Kentucky?

Because it is the only of those things that carries a Surgeon Generals Warning on the package.

Because it is the only of those things that carries a Surgeon Generals Warning on the package.
Sorry for the crappy picture as my camera on my phone is not the greatest but this is on a bottle of Bombay Sapphire I just happen to have ...it also appears on every bottle of alcohol we have in the house. It begins "According to the Surgeon General........"

2013-11-26_18.36.24 (1).jpg

Sorry for the crappy picture as my camera on my phone is not the greatest but this is on a bottle of Bombay Sapphire I just happen to have ...it also appears on every bottle of alcohol we have in the house. It begins "According to the Surgeon General........"

View attachment 9752

Oh duh. I don't know, that was the only thing I could think of..

Well, since we can assume that the Surgeon General's warning or lack there of doesnt answer why smoker's seem to qualify for Kentucky Medicaid without the penalties for smoking otherwise imposed by Obamacare, maybe we can just contemplate the December 2, 2013 cover of Time Magazine. (Ouch)
timedec22013.jpg

And if that cover of Time was not enough, more for the Pre-Turkey Day Obamacare bucket of fail.
http://swampland.time.com/2013/11/2...for-obamacare-website-team-as-deadline-nears/

Yet, Bataille warned that Nov. 30 is “not a magical day.”

“There will be times after Nov. 30 when the site, like any website, does not perform optimally,” she said. Heavy traffic could overwhelm the site, causing long delays for consumers trying to sign up for coverage. Bataille said that by Saturday, CMS will implement a “more advanced queuing system” for consumers forced to wait for one of 50,000 user slots. In addition, the website may recommend some users leave and come back during “off peak hours” and will have a system to e-mail consumers when they can return to the website and enroll in a health insurance plan.

A separate recent announcement indicates that, in addition to the trouble healthcare.gov, the federal government is falling further behind in its goal to implement other parts of the ACA on schedule. The Department of Health and Human Services said Wednesday that a new online insurance exchange for small businesses will not be operational until November 2014, more than a year after it was originally supposed to launch. The delay affects small businesses in the 36 states where exchange operations for individuals and small groups are being handled by the federal government.

And thanks to crashes, slow response times and software and hardware problems, healthcare.gov itself has fallen behind enrollment goals set by federal officials who had hoped 7 million individuals would sign up for new coverage through that exchange and those run by states by the end of an open enrollment period that ends March 31.

Will your car insurance go up when you get your new Audi? Should you pay the same rate as the owner of a '04 Tacoma?

If this wasnt so sad it would really be funny. "Still-fragile"? O_o

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/27/u...caution-on-health-site.html?hpw&rref=us&_r=1&

White House officials, fearful that the federal health care website may again be overwhelmed this weekend, have urged their allies to hold back enrollment efforts so the insurance marketplace does not collapse under a crush of new users.

At the same time, administration officials said Tuesday that they had decided not to inaugurate a big health care marketing campaign planned for December out of concern that it might drive too many people to the still-fragile HealthCare.gov.

Back