The ACA/ Obamacare Website Fiasco Thread

The thing people are failing to understand is that healthcare.gov is not an insurance site, you don't get any coverage through the website, or for that matter the government, the site just lists what coverages you qualify for, and shows you plans that meet that coverage. After you choose a plan, everything is done through a private insurance companies website. Mine for instance was all done through Blue Cross Blusle Shield. The government doesn't need payment info because they are not providing coverage, or being at all involved in healthcare choices.

Not like your submitted tax information is enough to be able to take every penny you have or anything.

Yep, that information is there, but a ton of other companies and organizations, including .gov already have their grubby hands all over it.

True, but generally speaking companies have processes in place in order to protect your data and are remotely proactive because it's your choice to be their customer (unless it's healthcare, in which case the government now says you have to buy their shit). Government? you're a forced customer. Period.

@comrade-z thank you for that post. Interestingly you mentioned about the government not releasing security information. This article was posted about that topic not too long ago, and shortly afterward this recent breach is announced.
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2014/08/19/obamacare-website-security/

After promising not to withhold government information over "speculative or abstract fears," the Obama administration has concluded it won't publicly disclose federal records that could shed light on the security of the government's health care website because doing so could "potentially" allow hackers to break in.

In addition to citing potential health-privacy violations, the government cited exemptions intended to protect personal privacy and law-enforcement records, although the agency didn't explain what files about the health care website had been compiled for law-enforcement purposes. Some open-government advocates were skeptical.
"Here you have an example of an agency resorting to a far-fetched privacy claim in an unprecedented attempt to bridge this legal gap and, in the process, making it even worse by going overboard in withholding such records in their entireties," said Dan Metcalfe, a former director of the Justice Department's office of information and privacy who's now at American University's law school.

Keeping details about lockdown practices confidential is generally derided by information technology experts as "security through obscurity." Disclosing some types of information could help hackers formulate break-in strategies, but other facts, such as numbers of break-ins or descriptions of how systems store personal data, are commonly shared in the private sector. "Security practices aren't private information," said David Kennedy, an industry consultant who testified before Congress last year about HealthCare.gov's security.

This article is a bit older but look what happened when this guy tried to tell them he noted a problem!
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmir...nd-an-obamacare-website-is-hackable-now-what/

Hermansen discovered a vulnerability that would allow someone to take over another person’s account on the California site, and review or change the information entered there. He tried contacting Covered California “at least 15 times” by email, phone or chat about the problem, but got no response for over a month.

True, but generally speaking companies have processes in place in order to protect your data and are remotely proactive because it's your choice to be their customer (unless it's healthcare, in which case the government now says you have to buy their shit). Government? you're a forced customer. Period.

Right but as a veteran I gave all my data to .gov a long time ago. As much as I distrust the VA I think they will give my data away just as quick.

The NY Times has published a fairly impartial assessment of the ACA in the wake of its one-year anniversary.

BLUf: It has been working fairly well, but hasn't quite reached some of the promised milestones. It has also been marred by a few significant controversies ("If you like your insurance..." Et. Al). The next test will be when the exchanges re-open in November.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...t-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=1

Is the Affordable Care Act Working?
After a year fully in place, the Affordable Care Act has largely succeeded in delivering on President Obama’s main promises, an analysis by a team of reporters and data researchers shows. But it has also fallen short in some ways and given rise to a powerful conservative backlash.

Thankfully I don't have to fuck with this bullshit, however a friend does....

8ee2aea066.jpg

GO ACA FUCK EVERYONE

We just got our group renewal - if we want to renew with plans as close to the current plan as we currently have we will have to take a 35% increase in monthly premium on our higher deductible plan and a 40% increase in monthly premium on our low deductible plan.

Yay, ACA.

Can't wait to see what the new plan options for 2015 look like - in order to reduce the % increase in monthly premium we will have to switch plans.

When I ran an individual quote to compare against the group quote there was a lot of "No copay - all services covered at 100% AFTER you meet your high deductible of $3000 - $6000 for a $250 -$300 monthly premium". These plans used to be catastrophic plans that run for under $100 bucks a month that you had as a "just in case I get hurt or ill".

Rich defined as anyone not on welfare.

I'd probably have more net pay in my pocket if I switched to welfare. At least my health care would be subsidized so I wouldn't have to pay any out of pocket on the monthly premium.

I'd probably have more net pay in my pocket if I switched to welfare. At least my health care would be subsidized so I wouldn't have to pay any out of pocket on the monthly premium.

Amen sister. My new employer has a high deductible, 5K. The premiums alone are killing me. Had I known I'd have negotiated a higher salary.

Back