The China Thread (Threat)

@Ooh-Rah where do we talk about the war already being conducted on our soil?

First the power plants, then food processing, then China buying up all the farmland, then the aliens/balloons/spy craft now hazardous material trains derailing 3x a week nationwide…

Next is cell towers and internet connectivity. Anyone wanna bet? (Not you @TLDR20 i still have to send you your winnings).

You left out train derailment spilling toxic chemicals.

You left out train derailment spilling toxic chemicals.
Actually, he didn't, but taking out over the horizon communications that requires a network of repeaters and the GPS system which doesn't require the shooting down or destruction of satellites wasn't mentioned. Look also how messed up our logistics dependance on shipping in food, clothing, was disrupted by the COVID epidemic. An aspect of tin foil hat conspiracy that may have actually been an intel attempt by China to see how quickly panic destabilizes the United States government. And now we be in a state of it flys and can't be identified shoot it down which is having what effect on the stability of the United States Government? Nothing but crickets from intelligence and counterintelligence which indicates or suggest their mission statement is we be here to make the President look good or a reflection of these capabilities being provided by the totally incompetent and incapable of figuring out what is happening.

Last edited:
I'm still stunned at NORAD acknowledging that they have recalibrated their radars to make them "more sensitive," which, regardless of whether this is correct or not attribution of cause, paints a previous picture of incompetence and dereliction, for the sake of not having to "cull bad hits," not precision tuning. It's not called precision tuning, the term provides a visual.

I'm still stunned at NORAD acknowledging that they have recalibrated their radars to make them "more sensitive," which, regardless of whether this is correct or not attribution of cause, paints a previous picture of incompetence and dereliction, for the sake of not having to "cull bad hits," not precision tuning. It's not called precision tuning, the term provides a visual.

I can't think of a witty comment about the amount of spin that's been going on...but there sure is a lot of spin going on.

The problem with this narrative is they are either changing the frequencies of their radar (can be done, but unlikely), or they have modified the parameters of whatever software they use to process the radar returns. (Google multi source correlator tracker or msct for one example of the software) This will clutter one's scope and increase the operator's workload. Plus radar is heavily influenced by weather, so now you are adding both real and fake tracks to your display. Case in point: overseas, when the humidity was over 70%, our AIR SEARCH radar could see cars on the local highways.

Plus stealth is "low observable" not invisible, so how degraded were these sensors? What could they have missed before?

Madness.

Recalibrate implies adjusting something. Is it narrowing or widening frequency bandwidth, increasing or narrowing wavelength? Or perhaps it is increasing the power of the directional radio signal being transmitted. Regardless radar has been detecting parachutists, balloons, and flock of birds since before I enlisted in 1973.

This situation introduces the problem of is that object or objects being detected a high-flying goose or flock of geese, some parachutists, a balloon, or some naturally occurring atmospheric phenomena reflecting back the radar signal. My advice is if you be a MFF jumpmaster better make sure your NOTAM is passed to NORAD or the President will launch that missile at you while in freefall (HALO) or under canopy (HAHO) for being a UFO.

What has changed is the monitoring of what is being detected has less eyeballs on radar screens as automation of firmware and software is more relied upon these days.

I'm confident even the automation used to put air to air missiles on target to include the proximity fuse automation had to be recalibrated to target a slow-moving target with minimal (IR signature) engine exhaust output. The factor being emphasized is missile needs to lock onto something somehow and once locked on something needs to tell the fuse to do its purpose of making missile go bang.

The problem of the China Spy Balloon event is from a public relations perspective it was delt with in the worse possible way from the moment it was detected to the moment it was shot down. The worse possible way was subsequently allowed to snowball into an extreme national embarrassment as actions taken to save face became causal for putting more egg on face.

Last edited:
Plus radar is heavily influenced by weather, so now you are adding both real and fake tracks to your display. Case in point: overseas, when the humidity was over 70%, our AIR SEARCH radar could see cars on the local highways.
The radar stories I can tell from the early special operations low level flying sorties on H-53s and HC-130s are only tellable because they were near misses of being a reportable mishap. Back in those days the weather radars used for IFR flying would be adjusted in flight to use for low level navigation flight through mountainous terrain. Too much scope clutter is dangerous. The technology was getting better by the mid-1990s.

The problem with this narrative is they are either changing the frequencies of their radar (can be done, but unlikely), or they have modified the parameters of whatever software they use to process the radar returns. (Google multi source correlator tracker or msct for one example of the software) This will clutter one's scope and increase the operator's workload. Plus radar is heavily influenced by weather, so now you are adding both real and fake tracks to your display. Case in point: overseas, when the humidity was over 70%, our AIR SEARCH radar could see cars on the local highways.

Plus stealth is "low observable" not invisible, so how degraded were these sensors? What could they have missed before?

Madness.
I think it's just more likely that we knew this kind of thing was going on for years, but now it's national news so everyone has to pretend like they care about it now.

Madness.

My immediate assumption was that they were lowering the thresholds on any clutter rejection to see both the African and European swallows. It strikes me as an immediate first troubleshooting step if you’re not seeing what you need to. The first thing I do when tuning an audio noise gate is set the threshold to the most sensitive thing I want it to let pass.

While tuning freq to try to catch something LO is possible it’s less guaranteed to have any level of success.

Also the “overload the user and expect/demand the same/improved performance” is a very DOD thing to do.

331284528_510086737979718_5197447250700914192_n.jpg

Back