The "CrossFit Culture" is a bunch of DORKS!!!

Kipping pullups also have the secondary effect of tearing your shoulder joints to pieces.
Brother, any movement done incorrectly can cause damage to your body. I hear my joints crunch while doing kipping pull-ups, dead hang pull ups, strict OH press, etc... Despite all the shortcomings people find with CF, they preach mobility and prehab. I think that was one of most important things I learned while at my gym and continue to follow as someone who plays another sport but does CF style workouts to stay in shape.

ETA: Butterfly pull ups are the worst on my shoulders if we're being honest here. The drop from being above the bar is awful and I tend to hang on a bit too much.

Last edited:
I was a CrossFit trainer/gym member for about 3 years and the pendulum swung from one side to the other for me during that time. CrossFit has plenty of issues and is ignorant to a lot of things, and so are the people that bash everything CF does. The kipping pull-up, long used as the ultimate CF bash, has its place. However, just like every other movement, it has to be executed correctly. The problem is not the movement. If you've ever done a high rep pull-up workout with kipping, you know that it's a total ball smoker from a grip, pulling, and metabolic standpoint. The problem is trainers and trainees who do not understand when kipping pull-ups should be used, what the proper position actually looks like, and how to incorporate them into workouts. CF, for all its issues, has said time and again that kipping pull-ups are not a substitute for strict pull-ups and that you should not do kipping pull-ups in a workout until you are able to execute dead hang pull-ups. The problem is the people that want to "get a pull-up" and throw everything else to the wind in order to "RX" a workout they have no business completing. THIS is where shoulder issues come into play for the most part. A secondary cause is people who do not understand that the kip is actually a technique, and not just flinging your body any which way in order to get your chin to clear the bar. There is a definitive way to start, pull, and finish a kipping pull-up and there is a definitive way to string them together. I've done thousands of kipping pull-ups and never had a shoulder issue. Tertiary causes of shoulder issues related to kipping pull-ups are people that do not have the requisite shoulder mobility to perform the kip, but decide they want to do them anyways.

For all the CF haters, this thread could just as easily be called "The regular gym culture is a bunch of dorks". If anyone wants to go tit for tat about dumb shit that goes on in CF gyms Vs. regular gyms, I'm game. ;-);-)

For all the CF haters, this thread could just as easily be called "The regular gym culture is a bunch of dorks". If anyone wants to go tit for tat about dumb shit that goes on in CF gyms Vs. regular gyms, I'm game. ;-);-)

I better see some serious gut busting memes and side splitting one-liners if anyone does, because if you can't laugh at yourself, I'll just laugh twice as hard at you. 8-):-":thumbsup:

T-Nation puts out some good stuff, but also some over-the-top chest beating stuff. They've posted articles calling people idiots for doing full sit-ups and pussies for running. So I always take what they post with a grain of salt.

You're bit late to the party with the CrossFit by Jesus vid...

ETA: I love how the T-Nation article labeled the picture of a poor butterfly pull up with "Kipping Pull Up". Also, no one ever said it's a way to strengthen the strict pull up. As I said earlier, it's muscle exhaustion Vs. cardio exhaustion. Agree with not doing kipping or butterfly until proficient with strict pull ups.

This is the funny nuance. Threads like The Couch Thread (1367 pages at this point!) have done a far better job of absolutely destroying CF- but it always ends up to be the same old song.

I guess the only thing we can get from that is that while the jokes are recycled, it's because the subject is unchanged.

I'm not sure if this made it here. My issue is with an idiot like Glassman having a platform.
Oh, the dude is a drunk, a homophobe (or at least his main site comments page is, typing the word "gay" will get you a quick exit), and just generally a really conniving guy. Th only one worse than him is his fucking lawyer, Dale Saran. I think I posted it here before, but Saran actually challenged me to a fight, on Facebook. That's HQ's lead counsel.

Glassman's actions are well documented throughout his entire career- from stealing Dan John's training model to taking half of Tim Dwight's business, to briefing the Naval War College in clothing that I assume he just pulled out of a trash bag. The Crossfit White Papers are the most damning allegory of ridiculous behavior perpetrated by someone claiming to run a business maybe ever.

Back