The "CrossFit Culture" is a bunch of DORKS!!!

I stand by what I said...my back hurt via osmosis. You can accept it, I don't and I think they're not helping their greater clientele who are definitely not in the same class as their top athletes by not forcing neutral back deadlifts. I don't how it could make it any more of clean pull, you're just making it more of back exercise which is not what you should be doing. So, obviously by my statement I'm disagreeing.

I stand by what I said...my back hurt via osmosis. You can accept it, I don't and I think they're not helping their greater clientele who are definitely not in the same class as their top athletes by not forcing neutral back deadlifts. I don't how it could make it any more of clean pull, you're just making it more of back exercise which is not what you should be doing. So, obviously by my statement I'm disagreeing.
By doing it on tv, they are not suggesting to their clientele to do it in such a way- they are trying to win.

If you want to have a big competition deadlift and round back deadlifting hurts your back, you should train more round back lifts- your deadlift will thank you.

If you aren't worried about competition, you should do it anyway. The world is not a controlled environment, you'll eventually find yourself rounded over picking something up.

I'm not making a stand for CrossFit, but the globo gym "form police" argument is weak.

As far as the sloppy snatches go- if your form sucks, you're probably not moving anywhere near close to maximal weight. If you are moving maximal weight and your form breaks down, the barbell usually (like 99.95% of the time) falls.

As for round back deadlifts- this is a real, legitimate technique. Don't think so? Watch Benedikt Magnusson pull his 1,015 raw world record- or watch any other 800+ conventional deadlifter,you will be hard pressed to find one with good globo gym form.

The flat or arched back deadlift is more a clean pull than it is a deadlift. The connective tissue in your back is the strongest anywhere in your body. Injuries are more a product of an untrained athlete than they are of "improper" form.

ETA- Bad deadlift form, Dave Hansen, Eric Lilliebridge, Benedikt Magnusson- three awesome deadlifters... with round backs.

I don't often disagree with you... but a professional athlete will often do whatever it takes to win a belt/record and form isn't high on your list when you are telling the book of guinness to take notes. If you are pulling 800 plus you are in a different category than most mortal beings and this isn't something that should be copied by mere mortals.

By doing it on tv, they are not suggesting to their clientele to do it in such a way- they are trying to win.

If you want to have a big competition deadlift and round back deadlifting hurts your back, you should train more round back lifts- your deadlift will thank you.

If you aren't worried about competition, you should do it anyway. The world is not a controlled environment, you'll eventually find yourself rounded over picking something up.

I rounded my back doing a 500 plus deadlift in Afghanistan and I threw out my back. Granted I was over 30 and I'm not a 800 plus deadlifter but there is a lesson to be learned there. There is nothing wrong with playing it safe from time to time. Good form is good form. Go ahead and shave your legs and round your back if you are in the final runnings for the championship. I want to play catch with my son without taking having to overdose on percocet first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't often disagree with you... but a professional athlete will often do whatever it takes to win a belt/record and form isn't high on your list when you are telling the book of guinness to take notes. If you are pulling 800 plus you are in a different category than most mortal beings and this isn't something that should be copied by mere mortals.

I rounded my back doing a 500 plus deadlift in Afghanistan and I threw out my back. Granted I was over 30 and I'm not a 800 plus deadlifter but there is a lesson to be learned there. There is nothing wrong with playing it safe from time to time. Good form is good form. Go ahead and shave your legs and round your back if you are in the final runnings for the championship. I want to play catch with my son without taking having to overdose on percocet first.
I agree with you for the most part, but round back deadlifts are an actual trained technique. Sure they are done what it takes to win, but this is actually how a lot of people lift in training.

A letter from a Doctor who has volunteered his medical services at the CF Games for the past 3 years. It's very well-written and addresses something that people have been saying for a long time. I don't expect Glassman and Castro to actually pull their heads out of their asses long enough to pay attention, but maybe if enough fans started making noise about it they would be forced to do something.

An Open Letter to CrossFit HQ | T Nation

As recently as last year's CrossFit Games, heat exhaustion affected numerous athletes as a result of the Triple 3 workout, which consisted of a 3000 meter row, 300 double-unders, and a three mile run.

Somewhat ominously, the Triple 3 workout was also the first individual event on Friday morning that year, and ambient temperatures were equivocal to those during Murph this year.
I had to stop reading the doctor's letter when I got to this point.

I see his argument as an equivalent to, "there shouldn't be marathons in the summer Olympics because it's too hot to run in the summer time."

Again, I'm no crossfit fanboy, but it seems like a weak argument to me.

I had to stop reading the doctor's letter when I got to this point.

I see his argument as an equivalent to, "there shouldn't be marathons in the summer Olympics because it's too hot to run in the summer time."

Again, I'm no crossfit fanboy, but it seems like a weak argument to me.

I think that's a bit of an oversimplification of the doctor's argument. I take his whole point to be that there was never any consideration given to mitigating environmental factors. That one anecdote, while it may not be the strongest point for his case, still goes to show an overall disregard for the competitors.

I think that's a bit of an oversimplification of the doctor's argument. I take his whole point to be that there was never any consideration given to mitigating environmental factors. That one anecdote, while it may not be the strongest point for his case, still goes to show an overall disregard for the competitors.
I understand the point he was TRYING to make but, it should have at least been buried deeper in the article if not thrown out completely.

- Football camp is in the summer.
- Triathlons could be in the summer or winter- subjecting you to the heat or cold water.
- The summer Olympics are in the...
- Selection, Ranger School, whatever happens year round.

If you are in anything above the county recreational league, the environment is the concern of the competitor.

I'm sure he got to some better points later in the article, but he came out of the gate about as strong as a donkey in a horse race.

If all of your workouts are in a gym you shouldn't be shocked at becoming a heat casualty when doing the same outdoors. Even my fatass knows the value of environmental conditioning because I've been a victim of too much a/c and too little sunshine before. Utter clownshoes.

A letter from a Doctor who has volunteered his medical services at the CF Games for the past 3 years. It's very well-written and addresses something that people have been saying for a long time. I don't expect Glassman and Castro to actually pull their heads out of their asses long enough to pay attention, but maybe if enough fans started making noise about it they would be forced to do something.

An Open Letter to CrossFit HQ | T Nation

Holy shit, a crossfitter himself, Dr. Castro is not very kind to the CFHQ about their wanton disregard for anything but their bottom line and making a spectacle akin to the Coliseum Games in Ancient Rome, where death was expected. this is a sad commentary on the state of this brand - fuck the athletes, it's a show, we want epic failures!

Because...Matt Best

So you're into chicks with beards?

tzuYY.AuSt.79.jpeg

I'll just go ahead and throw some numbers out there. Between 09-14, on average 26-32 people withdrew or did not finish the Tour De France. In 2012 the average number of people that withdrew or did not finish an IRONMAN competition is 144. At the 2015 Crossfit games only 15 people withdrew from competition, and that covers all age groups. The "Games" is suppose to be a competition of the elite, just like the Tour De France and an IRONMAN competition. The programming could have been done better to help prevent unnecessary injuries but shit happens and people are going to get hurt regardless.

P.S. I'm at work, bored.

I'll just go ahead and throw some numbers out there. Between 09-14, on average 26-32 people withdrew or did not finish the Tour De France. In 2012 the average number of people that withdrew or did not finish an IRONMAN competition is 144. At the 2015 Crossfit games only 15 people withdrew from competition, and that covers all age groups. The "Games" is suppose to be a competition of the elite, just like the Tour De France and an IRONMAN competition. The programming could have been done better to help prevent unnecessary injuries but shit happens and people are going to get hurt regardless.

P.S. I'm at work, bored.
Crossfit won't be taken seriously (not that I particularly care one of not) unless it's highest level of competition is very difficult.

I would not be opposed to them adding in an obstacle course for one of the events, similar to the early years of the games. Like a 5k mudrun type OCR, just to switch it up.

Crossfit won't be taken seriously (not that I particularly care one of not) unless it's highest level of competition is very difficult.
Who's opinion of very difficult? I think that the workouts that were done at this years "Games" would be considered very difficult to the majority of the population.

Back