The "CrossFit Culture" is a bunch of DORKS!!!

E-type is spot on.....:thumbsup:

There is alot of criticism on this years event. I think they are finally getting somewhere. Every year the games get more intense, more enjoyable to watch, and further down the road to someday actually making one believe they are the fittest people...

Look at 2007, 3 events in 2 days......everyone cried about the run.
Next year was harder, but people said "holy hek, I need to run more!" This really changed the Crossfit world.
Each year this happens...surprise they added swimming then rowing....who knows what's next.....wrestling a TIGER in 2016.
You better believe it that people will go back (if they are alive) and wrestle a TIGER to train for the 2017 games....:-"

So...lets' forget about the heat (Etype had good examples one that came to my stoopid brain.....1996 ATL Olympics Decathlon, back then considered the fittest man on Earth, it was hotter then 2 nuns in a bath tub but Dan J kept on kicking ass) or how crazy it has become.

Any "So called athlete" can adapt or they didn't train right. You train so no matter what is thrown your way you attack it. In most worlds its called a pyramid so you peak at the moment that counts....

Bottom line.....I think the games have gone full retard, but damn it is better then watching a bunch of people in high socks struggle up a hill....:wall:

Bullshit dude. CF does not have the right to throw anything and everything at the competitors and say, "Well fuck 'em, it's a competition." There is still a responsibility to attempt to make things as safe as possible. I'm all for difficult competition. Leaving barbells uncovered in the sun for hours so that people burn their hands is not "hard programming", it's irresponsible bullshit. Your anecdotes have fuck all to do with the CF Games, especially the WW2 storming of the beach one. If your position is people are pussies for ever raising any concerns ever, then fine. Just say that. But don't come up with these bullshit analogies that are irrelevant to what the original point of the article was.
Um...this!

If you don't want to be safe, I really hope CrossFit HQ gets sued into the ground and implodes, because in today's society they don't get it. I find it funny that people are getting prissy about Football when it's beyond obvious that a collision sport will cause damage. CrossFit is not a collision sport, and in other weight lifting competitions they got above and beyond when it comes to safety. CrossFit...it's pretty obvious they don't know what they're doing. As I said EType, you can be that Guy, remember don't be that guy.

Um...this!

If you don't want to be safe, I really hope CrossFit HQ gets sued into the ground and implodes, because in today's society they don't get it. I find it funny that people are getting prissy about Football when it's beyond obvious that a collision sport will cause damage. CrossFit is not a collision sport, and in other weight lifting competitions they got above and beyond when it comes to safety. CrossFit...it's pretty obvious they don't know what they're doing. As I said EType, you can be that Guy, remember don't be that guy.
First let's clear this up- you can call me that guy, but as far as I'm concerned, you are a nobody. I don't give a fuck what you think I am.

Really? You hope they are sued? They didn't force anyone to do anything. Should runners sue marathon organizers for overuse injuries, or should the have known what they were getting into?

As far as not knowing what they are doing, do you have any clue what you are doing? You talk a lot about deadlifting, how much can you deadlift?

Let's hear your fucking creds, because right now you're just another douche on the Internet with a lot to say.

First let's clear this up- you can call me that guy, but as far as I'm concerned, you are a nobody. I don't give a fuck what you think I am.

Really? You hope they are sued? They didn't force anyone to do anything. Should runners sue marathon organizers for overuse injuries, or should the have known what they were getting into?

As far as not knowing what they are doing, do you have any clue what you are doing? You talk a lot about deadlifting, how much can you deadlift?

Let's hear your fucking creds, because right now you're just another douche on the Internet with a lot to say.

We're all just a bunch of douches on the internet spewing crap. As you should and I think the same. I just see with my own two eyes that a corporation that has the ability to go above and beyond with safety apparently chooses not to, in fact letting twitter decide what the next event will be. Does that even remotely show intelligence to you?

Pretty sure Marathoners know exactly what they are getting into...the test they're training for is defined: 26.2 miles, same with the Ironman.

I haven't done a pure 1 rep or 3 rep max in awhile, but the last pyramid I did two weeks ago I was at 355, which to me is decent and may even be 50lbs less than you. Good on you if you're at 405. Where I find myself truly struggling is bench though. Hope you have a cold one, because it sure is hot today.

You're about 200# short on your estimate.

There are folks on here who can confirm...

ETA-
This is what I was getting at. A 355 deadlift is amateur hour unless you weigh 130, yet here you are criticizing the deadlifts in the Games.

Last edited:
You're about 200# short on your estimate.

There are folks on here who can confirm...

ETA-
This is what I was getting at. A 355 deadlift is amateur hour unless you weigh 130, yet here you are criticizing the deadlifts in the Games.
Just continuing my journey in the evolution of the lifting man...and I don't have all day to work out like a games athlete, put in the work late at night because that's when I have it. So call it amateur hour, whatever man, what's amateur hour is throwing out safety which is what many of us are being pretty clear about. If you don't want it, that's fine. I'm not a games athlete, I won't be, I'll watch though, because they are doing some crazy shit.

I'll just go ahead and throw some numbers out there. Between 09-14, on average 26-32 people withdrew or did not finish the Tour De France. In 2012 the average number of people that withdrew or did not finish an IRONMAN competition is 144. At the 2015 Crossfit games only 15 people withdrew from competition, and that covers all age groups. The "Games" is suppose to be a competition of the elite, just like the Tour De France and an IRONMAN competition. The programming could have been done better to help prevent unnecessary injuries but shit happens and people are going to get hurt regardless.

P.S. I'm at work, bored.
No worries here- except I am going to need your overall numbers and where you got your info. For instance- I'd be willing to bet the 2012 Ironman had FAR more people register than the estimated 200 (that includes Team, BTW) people that entered into the CF games. And the Ironman dropped 144? No issues. I'll be willing to bet the overall percentage of DNF's was markedly higher at the games than the Ironman.

After reading the, "Open letter to CFHQ" posted earlier, I really only saw one discrepancy that is relevant in the realm of, "elite fitness". That being, the obvious disregard of risk assessment/management for equipment malfunctions during the competition, i.e. scorching barbells burning the competitor's hands, no excuse for that one. All of the other arguments hold basically no merit in my completely amateur and personal opinion, and here's why.

Marathons, triathlons, and even impact sports can be deemed as events for those with a high-level of fitness, not elite (Again, my opinion but arguable). Even in these events serious injuries occur and I could list a significant amount of related deaths, or you could do a quick google search if you so feel inclined. Take a step past these events and it is pretty obvious the inherent risk is going to be much higher; ultra-marathons, free-diving, death races, mountaineering (K2 anyone?) etc. all present those with exceptional or elite abilities that chance to test them, much the same as the CrossFit games aims/seems to test the physical fitness abilities of their competitors. Why should the CrossFit games be denied the ability to over-program workouts that are to be completed by those who are competing for the title of, "Fittest person on earth or the universe or whatever"? Also, those people all volunteered to compete, if they had any concern about oversight of medical professionals, not being able to finish a workout, heat exhaustion or whatever else, then they could always not compete.

Just my thoughts on the article and being a fan of elite-level competitions.

After reading the, "Open letter to CFHQ" posted earlier, I really only saw one discrepancy that is relevant in the realm of, "elite fitness". That being, the obvious disregard of risk assessment/management for equipment malfunctions during the competition, i.e. scorching barbells burning the competitor's hands, no excuse for that one. All of the other arguments hold basically no merit in my completely amateur and personal opinion, and here's why.

Marathons, triathlons, and even impact sports can be deemed as events for those with a high-level of fitness, not elite (Again, my opinion but arguable). Even in these events serious injuries occur and I could list a significant amount of related deaths, or you could do a quick google search if you so feel inclined. Take a step past these events and it is pretty obvious the inherent risk is going to be much higher; ultra-marathons, free-diving, death races, mountaineering (K2 anyone?) etc. all present those with exceptional or elite abilities that chance to test them, much the same as the CrossFit games aims/seems to test the physical fitness abilities of their competitors. Why should the CrossFit games be denied the ability to over-program workouts that are to be completed by those who are competing for the title of, "Fittest person on earth or the universe or whatever"? Also, those people all volunteered to compete, if they had any concern about oversight of medical professionals, not being able to finish a workout, heat exhaustion or whatever else, then they could always not compete.

Just my thoughts on the article and being a fan of elite-level competitions.
Couple concerns here.

1. If you're completely amateur and only hold personal opinion, maybe don't posit your opinion.
  2. People who run marathons, triathlons, and impact sports might disagree with you. At the junior level, sure, your remark holds. But nearly every person in the Ironman, competitive marathons, and the NFL is an "elite" athlete.
  3. Your position on medical coverage is untenable. It boils down to essentially, "They knew the risks (no, they fucking didn't Crossift itself markets itself as the 'unknown and unknowable') and if a couple people died because of poor programming, then, the athlete knew what was up." Come on. Frame that in the NFL- "Listen- it's a contact sport, and if these guys didn't think that they were going to suffer brain damage, they shouldn't have played." I fully recognize a couple of assumptions to make this point, but just think about it.
My questions for you are as follows-
  1. What qualifies you, other than being a fan of elite level comps, to even speak on this topic? CF coach? Athlete? Anything specific? Maybe competing in said events?
  2. #2 from above- What exactly is your opinion on what makes an "elite level" sport?
The bottom line is the primary beef in all CF gyms across the world is shitty programming. The good gyms avoid it, the bad gyms do it. And the "test" for fitness is shitty programming. You seem to be arguing for an ultra-shitty program cause that's what you think is the epitome of CF.

(Edit: accidently quoted my original post again.)

1. If you're completely amateur and only hold personal opinion, maybe don't posit your opinion.
  2. People who run marathons, triathlons, and impact sports might disagree with you. At the junior level, sure, your remark holds. But nearly every person in the Ironman, competitive marathons, and the NFL is an "elite" athlete.
  3. Your position on medical coverage is untenable. It boils down to essentially, "They knew the risks (no, they fucking didn't Crossift itself markets itself as the 'unknown and unknowable') and if a couple people died because of poor programming, then, the athlete knew what was up." Come on. Frame that in the NFL- "Listen- it's a contact sport, and if these guys didn't think that they were going to suffer brain damage, they shouldn't have played." I fully recognize a couple of assumptions to make this point, but just think about it.
My questions for you are as follows-
  1. What qualifies you, other than being a fan of elite level comps, to even speak on this topic? CF coach? Athlete? Anything specific? Maybe competing in said events?
  2. #2 from above- What exactly is your opinion on what makes an "elite level" sport?
The bottom line is the primary beef in all CF gyms across the world is shitty programming. The good gyms avoid it, the bad gyms do it. And the "test" for fitness is shitty programming. You seem to be arguing for an ultra-shitty program cause that's what you think is the epitome of CF.[/QUOTE]

Further explanation:

1. I posted my opinion in aim of discussion, as many have before me in this very thread. I suppose things are of a more serious manner at this time in this thread's life, and I could have been out of line posting my opinion, either way we're here now.

2. Ironman, competitive marathons and Professional Level-anything are extremely small sub-groups of the aforementioned, which I understand why you highlighted them, they are the exception. I completely agree that they would disagree with me, if they believed I grouped them in the same category as the bazillion people who run a marathon or complete whichever triathlon distance. Regardless of how I categorize them or how you believe I view them, it doesn't change my argument. Even at the Junior level of these events serious injuries and related deaths occur, I'd wager at the same if not higher prevalence of the crossfit games (looking for numbers to support this claim, not sure how many relatable deaths have been accounted for from the CF Games).

3. I'm still unable to attain your view of how they, "don't know the risks". I understand they do not know the specific events that will be held nor can they predict all of the environmental and other related factors; but they do know exactly what is going down and how it is going down when they're completing it right? If shit is that out of hand and you might die from doing a one handed rope climb 100ft up or from finishing your last mile or whatever else, I'm operating under the assumption that, that athlete knows if that decision is worth it or not to them. As far as the medical coverage statement goes, I was in no way implying I know exactly what should or should not be declared as appropriate medical staff for these type of events; I see how my words didn't convey this accurately now, but I was trying to get out that if whichever athlete was uncomfortable with the care provided or availability of medical professionals they can decide that themselves.

1a. I'm not trying to make a case here about how much of an authority I am or how much my opinion weighs, just answering your question. I've competed in Mixed Martial Arts events, grappling competitions, assistant coached muay thai/kickboxing and submission wrestling classes, completed (1) 26.2, a handful of sprint and Olympic distance triathlons over the last three years. None of my lifts are of any significance in comparison with yours and others like Etype, but I also worked at a warehouse style gym for two years that housed crossfit clientele, power lifters and the odd sorts of adventure racers (Arrowhead 135ers not tough mudders). Nothing of much relevancy, as I stated earlier, my opinion is that of an amateur.

2a. I now see the error in trying to categorize different fitness events in my earlier post, although my opinion of elite level sports or events isn't my argument, as that wasn't the point I'm trying to make. The only reason I distinguished between, "high-level" and "elite" was to state at a lower-tier competition, many of the same problems are present, and a lot(most) of the responsibility lies on the participant.

My post was supposed to be geared towards the defense of the "CrossFit games", specifically, having the right to decide what kind of nonsense they decide to incorporate into their programming, literally that is it. I have no investment or tie to crossfit programming and am in no way defending that what they come up with is the best, but I am saying they should be able to decide to program whatever they feel like, as every other ridiculously hard competition does to test elite athletes.

Just continuing my journey in the evolution of the lifting man...and I don't have all day to work out like a games athlete, put in the work late at night because that's when I have it. So call it amateur hour, whatever man, what's amateur hour is throwing out safety which is what many of us are being pretty clear about. If you don't want it, that's fine. I'm not a games athlete, I won't be, I'll watch though, because they are doing some crazy shit.
So what weight oriented sport is safe?
None of them are.

Your argument is akin to criticizing formula one drivers for driving their cars in an unsafe manner. Then you validate said claims by saying you drive to work everyday, so you have the right to criticize race car drivers- because you drive a car, too.

Geez, this is stupid. It's an elective competition, not mandatory. Running ultras is damaging, 24hr Mt bike racing is damaging, the tour DE France is damaging, any elite athletic event is usually damaging and potentially lethal, contact or not. If you don't like the form or programming used in the cf games, don't watch it, and if its truly bad, cf will die a quiet death as people leave. Until then, people will continue to do damaging, dangerous stuff to prove their mettle, while others quietly sit on the sidelines and bitch.

Cross Fit Story on 60 Minutes tonight - (CBS)
Story on Greg Glassman - I think it is a rebroadcast - buy an FYI if you are interested.

That was painful to watch. Seriously, various muscle groups convulsed in sympathy. However, like most grisly train wrecks or servings of street pizza, I couldn't look away.

If too many of those videos keep being put out there...before long, the insurance industry is going to start making policy holders sign "CrossFit Waivers." ;-)

If too many of those videos keep being put out there...before long, the insurance industry is going to start making policy holders sign "CrossFit Waivers." ;-)
Just another reason to stay on Active Duty, Free health care. :thumbsup:

Back