The "CrossFit Culture" is a bunch of DORKS!!!

A new CF gym just opened in my town, their prices are a bit much but I'll definitely go check them out then.

I'm not concerned necessarily with the cost, this is my goal and I need to do what I need to do to get there. I just don't want to do something that's going to get me injured and set me back, or worse, disqualify me before I even get going.
What you need to be good at for almost all ventures in the military is running, push ups, sit ups, and pull ups- usually in that order. The best way to get better at doing something is to to do that thing- no matter what the CF gurus tell you, SAID (specific adaptations to imposed demands) is one of the most researched and proven fitness concepts.

On that note, you have a finite ability to recover. If you are on a timeline, you need to be putting your recovery eggs in your running(et al.) basket- not your thrusters, CnJ, snatch, and rowing baskets.

You can make the argument that the top CF dudes are good at push ups, pull ups, sit ups, etc... but so are pro wide receivers and Olympic sprinters. Comparing yourself to, or trying to train like a highly trained athlete before you are an elite athlete yourself will be an exercise in futility.

Not CF related or CF bashing, but TRX has saved my will to work out while I'm stuck on this giant metal thing that's floating around. My buddy picked up the system and I use it 3-4 times a week mixed in with some running on a treadmill (which I loathe) and some free weight work. Add in the movements of the ship and it's a smoker that gets into the stabilizer muscles like nothing else I've done. It's also good for mobility and stretching.

Not CF related or CF bashing, but TRX has saved my will to work out while I'm stuck on this giant metal thing that's floating around. My buddy picked up the system and I use it 3-4 times a week mixed in with some running on a treadmill (which I loathe) and some free weight work. Add in the movements of the ship and it's a smoker that gets into the stabilizer muscles like nothing else I've done. It's also good for mobility and stretching.
I guess free weights might be kinda dangerous on a ship...

They can be. Our current location is fairly calm, so there's not a great deal of rocking going on. However, even slight movements feel greatly magnified when you have 50lbs in each hand over your head. The same goes for doing planks and side planks in the TRX. The slightest of rocking will send your feet (which are in the bands) all over the place. It sucks trying to stabilize yourself, but it intensifies the core work at the same time. I'm doing my best to work with what I have and being extra cautious while doing so. I'm not really concerned with anything outside of preventing myself from becoming a fat ass during this deployment because the only food on the ship that has any taste is the junk food in the vending machine and the ship's store.

You have definitely have to take your ego out of it and not try to lift the same weights you would normally lift. We had a small free weight room on the DDG I was on, and I used it frequently, but I had a couple close calls. There was one spot clear enough to take weight overhead without smashing into pipes and wires. Good times. Lol.

Where to begin with the above video... I'll cover the painfully obvious: at a couple of points the "Crossfitters" are referred to as "athletes." Ahem...

Boiling down to it, Crossfit is a workout routine.

If one were to spontaneously tune in to a Crossfit 16.38162 event, it would look like a dude from the legal department, like, totally crushing it at any given gym.

"Serious" Crossfitters post their workout routines on Twatter or websites to "stay motivated." Athletes jealously guard their training and game plans.

As stated on the Crossfit website, "“The aim of CrossFit is to forge a broad, general and inclusive fitness. We have sought to build a program that will best prepare trainees for any physical contingency—not only for the unknown, but for the unknowable.”

The aim of an athlete: to win the game.

Here we see a selection of genuine athletes in their natural environment:

upload_2016-3-4_6-29-58.png

Where to begin with the above video... I'll cover the painfully obvious: at a couple of points the "Crossfitters" are referred to as "athletes." Ahem...
Is a powerlifter or weightlifter an athlete? Or are those just workout routines?

Running is exercise... are marathon runners just exercisers? Or do you permit them to be athletes?

Is a powerlifter or weightlifter an athlete? Or are those just workout routines?

Running is exercise... are marathon runners just exercisers? Or do you permit them to be athletes?

Yes. No.

No. Yes.

By the implied rationale, though, any individual competitor sport may not be a sport.

The WBO, for instance, should be contacted and informed of this new paradigm. And their equivalence to individuals whose ultimate aim is "increased work capacity across broad time and modal domains" and whose membership requirement is $125-230 a month “depending on your commitment level.”

Is the aim of a competitor in the crossfit games to lose?

On the cost aspect, just what is the cost to become a pro athlete? How do you quantify going all in on a sport? The opportunity cost lost of other career paths, sunk cost of equipment and training? $125/mo is cheap for some sports.

Is the aim of a competitor in the crossfit games to lose? On the cost aspect, just what is the cost to become a pro athlete? How do you quantify going all in on a sport? The opportunity cost lost of other career paths, sunk cost of equipment and training? $125/mo is cheap for some sports.

I think if you are investing money to become healthier, fitter, etc., paying for CF is akin to rape. If you are using CF as a vehicle for competition, then, yes, the cost may well be inconsequential.

So it's all in the eye of the "doer."

Last edited:
I think if you are investing money to become healthier, fitter, etc., paying for CF is akin to rape. If you are using CF as a vehicle for competition, then, yes, the cost may well be inconsequential. When I was mountain biking I wasn't competitive and bike plus accoutrements still was $2k+.

So it's all in the eye of the "doer."

I couldn't agree with your statement more. If you are using it for X, there are probably better options, if for Y, that is relatively cheap.

Yeah, it can be.

I was on back-to-back deployments and started training for recon while on ship. Running 30 minutes on the helo flight deck really sucked. Probably paying for it now with my ankles.

The weight lifting definitely had to be sub max at times.

But a good body weight/calisthentics routine can be done on ship.

Dave Castro needs to be removed as the guy for this...he fake dramatism is revolting:

The way the weight keeps going up is a bit ridiculous...oh you know, xFit continues its theme of trying to kill people it established during the previous games.

The way the weight keeps going up is a bit ridiculous...oh you know, xFit continues its theme of trying to kill people it established during the previous games.

Oh geez. I guess we should cap the weight in weightlifting and powerlifting, and while we're at it, we should limit how high pole vaulters can raise the bar- because it's dangerous.

While we're on the topic of the Arnold's, Blaine Sumner destroyed the the single-ply squat record by absolutely dunking 500kg/1100lbs

It's crazy that he not only got the lift, but got it at IPF depth!

Back