The "CrossFit Culture" is a bunch of DORKS!!!

That's nice.... we were thinking you might be transgendered.... from the wording of the post.
Or it may have been in reference to the Olympic movement. Worded like that on purpose, with the intent of being funny.

Hello everyone, I'm working on getting my ass back into shape after about 18-24 months of minimal physical activity besides work related lifting. I have a pretty long way to go, but that's not today's topic!

What is the consensus on Crossfit among the community here? I know just about anyone involved in weight lifting despises it, but it does have its merits, at least on paper. Would anyone recommend it, or recommend avoiding it?

Currently I am spending November doing calisthenics and running to get used to the routine of working out, starting in December I'll be doing cardio daily consisting of swimming every day, and running every other day, taking Sundays off as a rest day with light stretching. I'll be adding weight lifting to my routine as well, but before I do that I want to know if I should look into joining a Crossfit gym or if I should just use a regular gym.

Thank you in advance everyone.

Mod Note: Crossfit threads merged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh, I apologize! I searched crossfit and only found a bunch of introduction posts mentioning it. I also now realize that there is a health and fitness section that I should be looking under. Sorry for posting this in the wrong place!

What are your goals exactly? What are you training for?

Last edited:
A new CF gym just opened in my town, their prices are a bit much but I'll definitely go check them out then.

I'm not concerned necessarily with the cost, this is my goal and I need to do what I need to do to get there. I just don't want to do something that's going to get me injured and set me back, or worse, disqualify me before I even get going.

A new CF gym just opened in my town, their prices are a bit much but I'll definitely go check them out then.

I'm not concerned necessarily with the cost, this is my goal and I need to do what I need to do to get there. I just don't want to do something that's going to get me injured and set me back, or worse, disqualify me before I even get going.

My apologies, I edited my original post to ask a question which I should have asked you before providing an opinion on whether Crossfit would be a viable option for your goals or aspirations. Anyway, I see that an career in SOF is what you're after.

Personally, if it's a kick in the arse that you need to get you going, like I said a good Crossfit gym with coaches with a solid S&C background beyond a Level 1 Cert will do the trick.

At some stage though, you'll eventually have to start training for whichever SOF career and selection process you wish to pursure... Which is where sites such as Military Athlete, SOFWOD etc. will most likely prove more useful in terms of programming than a regular Crossfit gym.

The more experienced guys like @CDG @amlove21 @Etype will most likely pop along at some stage to offer their opinions on it. If they do, take heed of what they say... They know what they're on about.

Look into the sites that @Poccington mentioned. It's not impossible to adapt their workouts to chain gyms and save yourself $150 a month. The vast majority of CF gyms are going to force you into doing their workouts, which are not going to prep you for a military selection course. If you can find the rare one that offers open gym times and will allow you to do whatever workout you choose, go for it. Otherwise, you're wasting your time, IMHO.

Thank you both for your input, I'll definitely take a look at the CF gym and see what the programs and rules are like. Currently I'm undecided as to which SOF I would like to pursue, I just know that I want to be there. I figure if I continue to work out and get myself to a point where I'm scoring 300+ on APFT, then I can start focusing in on exactly what branch I want to go for.

Ultimately, when I have my vision checked again this year, I'll have a clearer goal in mind for what I'd like to pursue, since there's a chance my vision will disqualify me from certain options.

The one positive that might come out of joining a CF gyms is the coaching. If you're going to be using sites like the ones listed above, they tend to incorporate some complex lifts (Oly lifting, among others) in their workouts. I was lucky enough to join a gym with an internationally recognized Olympic lifting coach. Google the last name Burgener as it pertains to Oly lifting... Everything he taught us helped tremendously, proper stretching, technique, building each lift from the ground up, etc. The other coaches were all first class as well. If the coaches are good, they'll be giving you tips before, during and after every workout to help you improve your form and your performance. If they're crappy coaches they'll be yelling 'no rep' at you the entire time. So, while I can't speak for EVERY CF gym out there, I was very lucky to have a great group of coaches while I was at Invictus.
YMMV.

I'll say first, good inputs from @CDG and @SkrewzLoose . Agree, plus 1.

There are some great CF gyms out there- but the things that make them great Crossfit gyms are the same things that would make them great gyms without the Crossfit name. Involved, caring, educated coaches that want the best for their members and put the effort into their programming, smart progressions, and an actual need to provide gold-standard service to their constituency.

There are a SHIT TON of crappy gyms out there that don't even know they're crappy gyms, they just don't know any better. They take their cert, slap CF on their sign and figure it out day by day from there. Those gyms should be avoided at all costs, and even a brand new guy can figure that out in the course of a couple weeks' worth of working out.

I don't have anything against individual gyms that fly the CF flag. Go in, talk to the coaches, see if the community is what you want to be a part of, etc. I have several great friends that run successful CF gyms the "right" way and I am proud to say that I am part of their gym/community. That community might be what you need to be motivated and continue your intent to step up your fitness game.

Bottom line- you need to be honest with your goals and objectively evaluate all your options. 24 hour fitness might be your answer, but the CF gym might be too. While we tend to shit on CF a lot (because it's deserving as a corporate entity and for all it's clownishness), but there is always an exception.

Back