The self identity thread.

My son is in Major League Baseball. First as a player, now as an exec. He never used PEDs, and MLB’s rules on steroid use are unequivocal.

I don’t know anything about steroids. All I know is that every player who broke Roger Maris’ 61 home run season were using PEDs: Bonds, Maguire and Sosa, all players I liked and respected. Maris’ record stood for decades until those three came along…and nobody’s done it since MLB brought the hammer down after the allegations came to light. I look at Lance Armstrong’s case and think, yeah, he got an unfair advantage as did Bonds Maguire and Sosa, an extra boost to push them over the threshold by using PEDs.

If PEDs are harmless and good why are they banned almost universally in professional sports, amateur competitions, international sporting events and the Olympics themselves? Has hysteria played a role in this. Should restrictions be lifted or the rules relaxed?

My son is in Major League Baseball. First as a player, now as an exec. He never used PEDs, and MLB’s rules on steroid use are unequivocal.

I don’t know anything about steroids. All I know is that every player who broke Roger Maris’ 61 home run season were dogged by allegations of PED use: Bonds, Maguire and Sosa, all players I liked and respected. Maris’ record stood for decades until those three came along…and nobody’s done it since MLB brought the hammer down after the allegations came to light. I look at Lance Armstrong’s case and think, yeah, he got an unfair advantage as did Bonds Maguire and Sosa,
an extra boost to push them over the threshold by using PEDs.

If PEDs are harmless and good why are they banned almost universally in professional sports, amateur competitions, international sporting events and the Olympics themselves? Has hysteria played a role in this. Should restrictions be lifted or the rules relaxed?

PEDs are banned because they give a competitive advantage. Full stop.

I do not think I or anyone else has argued for the implementation of a steroid program. I’m just saying that drugs that are viewed as PEDs are likely not the ones you think of, and the modern day guy taking PEDs is more likely using them to recover from injury, vice trying to gain 30 lbs of muscle and jack HR’s.

Armstrongs situation is different IMO. All those guys who are competing at that level are doping. If he wouldn’t have been so sanctimonious about it, I do not think it’d have been the thing that it was.

PEDs are banned because they give a competitive advantage. Full stop.

I do not think I or anyone else has argued for the implementation of a steroid program. I’m just saying that drugs that are viewed as PEDs are likely not the ones you think of, and the modern day guy taking PEDs is more likely using them to recover from injury, vice trying to gain 30 lbs of muscle and jack HR’s.

Armstrongs situation is different IMO. All those guys who are competing at that level are doping. If he wouldn’t have been so sanctimonious about it, I do not think it’d have been the thing that it was.

Ok, gotcha. Thanks.

Show me you don’t know what you are talking about, without saying you don’t know what you are talking about.

Your athletes?

You a doctor now?

I don’t think you honestly have any understanding of what athletes, and people do now. I think your definition of PEDs is also likely absent accurate description because every league, and sport has different definitions. Amateur rugby may follow WADA guidelines, but common drugs like propranolol, adderall, and albuterol are banned as peds. Those all can cause death as well if taken in obscene doses, as can oxygen, water, salt, and other building blocks of life.

If you work for a amateur or professional sports organization, you should talk to your team physician about what are and are not reasons for using TRT, and other PED’s.

Yes, my athletes. I'm an executive in a sports league. You're being inordinately obtuse for someone involved in delivery of anesthetics. PEDs in fact kill people. You clearly don't know what you're talking about or take a different mode de vie than those of us that are charged with both competitive equity and the fact that professional athletes act like complete idiots and have a duty of care.

If you want to talk about adderall, fine and cool. I know all about specified substances and TUE processes. TUE's are not public record and thousands are issued a year. But at the end of the day, if you won a bronze medal in the Olympics and all of a sudden need Adderall, you don't need Adderrall. But Adderrall isn't what I'm talking about generally when I talk about PEDS. Generally I'm talking a narrow view, specifically in prohibited substances. Not all sports that are WADA signatories even have the same list.

Beta 2 Agonist? You know an inhaler for asthma? Specified substance. Maybe don't compete until you get a TUE. But, in the sport I work in? Not really worried about Asthma, I'm worried about the hard shit.

Yes, my athletes. I'm an executive in a sports league. You're being inordinately obtuse for someone involved in delivery of anesthetics. PEDs in fact kill people. You clearly don't know what you're talking about or take a different mode de vie than those of us that are charged with both competitive equity and the fact that professional athletes act like complete idiots and have a duty of care.

If you want to talk about adderall, fine and cool. I know all about specified substances and TUE processes. TUE's are not public record and thousands are issued a year. But at the end of the day, if you won a bronze medal in the Olympics and all of a sudden need Adderall, you don't need Adderrall. But Adderrall isn't what I'm talking about generally when I talk about PEDS. Generally I'm talking a narrow view, specifically in prohibited substances. Not all sports that are WADA signatories even have the same list.

Beta 2 Agonist? You know an inhaler for asthma? Specified substance. Maybe don't compete until you get a TUE. But, in the sport I work in? Not really worried about Asthma, I'm worried about the hard shit.

I think we are having a fundamental misunderstanding. I will totally and completely agree that using anabolic steroids as a drug of abuse is bad for the body, bad for sports, and will lead to long term health sequelae. I have not, nor will I say otherwise. Being bigger,faster, and stronger because you cheated is not fair to the other people playing the game.

Where we disagree is that in terms of medically directed PED use, there is not a significant increased risk of death. Many professional athletes that test positive for banned substances have had those substances prescribed and overseen by physicians. That goes from football to tennis and all kinds of athletics in between.

In many professional sports we see a guy pop for PEDs and then are not told due to player association rules what substances they are. We assume guys are stacking dbol or sust. In reality, today, that isn’t what they are doing.

I did not have asthma but I sucked the hell out of a Primatine Mist before every PFT/PRT; that aerosolized epi helped me take 45 sec-1 full minute off my run times.

I’d submit, absent any changes in the last decade or so, many NFL players take PEDs and certainly use drugs. Nate Jackson, a former NFL player, described the league’s drug testing policy in detail. It was a joke and like cyclists, you are dumb for getting caught.

Professional sports leagues tend to be sanctimonious hypocrites, but that’s for another thread.

Generally, wondering if it's actually becoming safe to come out and say you're done with the bullshit?

Maybe some of your players just don't want to be a part of your cause?

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...e/news-story/7fc24f1283a16f0fc79072a6b441efa6

NWSL player Jaelene Daniels sits out over refusal to wear pride jersey

Several Rays players break from organization's Pride Night logos, citing religious reasons

The thing I don't understand about this is for years, Sonny Bill Williams wore a blank Blues kit because the sponsor of the Blues was a bank and he claimed for religious reasons he wouldn't wear it. But I guess he was Sonny Bill.

How do I put this nicely. If you still have a penis, you are a man. And if you choose to be called a lady, you're a transvestite, not a transgender.

NJ transgender woman transferred from women’s only prison after impregnating 2 inmates, report says

Somebody please bring this trash heap up on rape charges while we're at it.

How do you know they raped them? At least be consistent.

From the link “ following consensual sexual relationships”

Or should we just charge people with rape if it fits our agenda?

Last edited:
Back