The Trump Presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get the point. Bush was attacked for how much "vacation" he took, so was Obama. You know what, Eisenhower spent an insane amount of time at Augusta and the country didn't get bombed by the Soviets.
:rolleyes:

President Trump promised he'd replace Obamacare 'immediately' and 'on his first day in office'.

He didn't get his way, threatened his own party with retributions for voting against him, threatened that this would be 'the only shot' we had at replacing Obamacare, and when he failed in spectacular fashion, he whined like a baby and retreated to his multimillion dollar resort.

But yeah, other than that, he and Eisenhower have a lot in common.

Your comparison is laughable, sir.

Attachments

• 86446331-CF3E-4C89-ADB7-2C749BA76A5B.jpg
    86446331-CF3E-4C89-ADB7-2C749BA76A5B.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 18
Cool story and meme bro. You're a part of the problem. There are standards of discourse that are expected of those we elect.

Trump doesn't meet those and pretty much all of the Congress doesn't but Mark Twain knew that 150 years ago, which says how much the electorate hasn't changed. I personally find it hilarious how much we here get our skivvies in a bunch.

As far as this being Ryan's only chance at passing Healthcare reform...we're in March, two months into this administration. I think we got plenty of time, but I guess I'll move to a state where my premiums don't double again.

Actually Eisenhower and Trump are quite similar in their personal habits, golf and infidelity.

I don't get the point. Bush was attacked for how much "vacation" he took, so was Obama. You know what, Eisenhower spent an insane amount of time at Augusta and the country didn't get bombed by the Soviets.

The point (in my humble opinion) is that comparing anything to what was done in the past, and then using that history to justify a behavior is wrong. To quote a classic, "If you do what you always did, you'll get what you always got."

Cool story and meme bro. You're a part of the problem. There are standards of discourse that are expected of those we elect.

Trump doesn't meet those and pretty much all of the Congress doesn't but Mark Twain knew that 150 years ago, which says how much the electorate hasn't changed. I personally find it hilarious how much we here get our skivvies in a bunch.

How is @amlove21 part of the problem, (what problem, by the way?) and what are you talking about with the "standards of discourse" comment?

This fucking site is going to turn me into a liberal yet. :wall:

Signed,

Lib-Rah

Last edited:
This fucking site is going to turn my into a liberal yet. :wall:

Signed,

Lib-Rah

CLASSIFIED/TOP SECRET

Your mission is to proceed up the Nung River in a Navy patrol boat. Pick up @Ooh-Rah 's path at Nu Mung Ba, follow it and learn what you can along the way. When you find Ooh-Rah, infiltrate his team by whatever means available and terminate his command.

"Terminate my bro, Ooh-Rah?"

General Corman: He's out there operating without any decent restraint, totally beyond the pale of any acceptable human conduct. And he is still in the field making insane posts about defecting to the Libs.

Civilian: Terminate...with extreme prejudice.

Colonel Lucas: You understand, Captain, that this mission does not exist, nor will it ever exist...

Cool story and meme bro. You're a part of the problem....

I personally find it hilarious how much we here get our skivvies in a bunch.

As far as this being Ryan's only chance at passing Healthcare reform...we're in March, two months into this administration.
I have this affliction where I have to make sense when I talk, so I'm only going to address the snips, not your whole comment.

I'll assume you mean 'looking at every little thing the President does and hammering him on it' when you say I'm part of the problem. Look, I don't sit around every day and say, 'What's he gonna do today?!' and wring my hands. But this was a YUGE campaign promise and something he talked a gang of shit about and he straight up failed. He sped on the bill/he did it without proper support and planning, and now by all accounts he's just gonna go 'Meh I tried Obamacare is gonna blow up!'- that hurts Americans too.

I find it funny when people get 'their skivvies in a bunch' too'. Saying, 'This is a failure' isn't getting any skivvies in a bunch. If me saying that causes you to feel the need to rush to the defense of the Oval Office, well, I think we both know who needs to unbunch their unmentionables, eh?

As for the 'last chance', I was quoting President Trump's words over the last few days. I hope this administration figures it out and actually does what they promised- healthcare for everyone, cheaper than Obamacare covering more Americans.

I'm not a fan of Trump....I blame both parties for not preparing good candidates to run our country.

I do like the fact that he is shaking up things, he is the only president who is actually trying to stick to his promises and acting on them...and it's driving everyone crazy.

@Kraut783 i like your comment for it's intent, but in practice I don't think that's necessarily true. The rocking chair analogy (used before) comes to mind. 'Lots of motion, no progress.'

He may be 'shaking things up'- but he's doing it in a way that's alienating allies, pissing off his own party, and not producing anything.

My question would be, 'What is actually getting done?' Some pep rallies, tough talk and failed policies are all we really have to show more than half way through his 1st 100 days.

And that doesn't even begin to touch on his administrations legal woes.

I'm not particularly saying it- but I've gotten a lot of phone calls! Good friend of mine- smart friend- are saying if the FBI is investigating you, you shouldn't be able to be president.

True, but it's the only way for both parties to learn it's lesson......if they are even paying attention, we shall see.

Edit: Just to add, the problem isn't just Trump or the president position itself...both houses are a mess....and congress has no limit to the number of terms it can serve.

Last edited:
True, but it's the only way for both parties to learn it's lesson......if they are even paying attention, we shall see.

Edit: Just to add, the problem just isn't just Trump or the president position itself...both houses are a mess....and congress has no limit to the number of terms it can serve.
Yep, fully agree there.

CLASSIFIED/TOP SECRET

Your mission is to proceed up the Nung River in a Navy patrol boat. Pick up @Ooh-Rah 's path at Nu Mung Ba, follow it and learn what you can along the way. When you find Ooh-Rah, infiltrate his team by whatever means available and terminate his command.

"Terminate my bro, Ooh-Rah?"

General Corman: He's out there operating without any decent restraint, totally beyond the pale of any acceptable human conduct. And he is still in the field making insane posts about defecting to the Libs.

Civilian: Terminate...with extreme prejudice.

Colonel Lucas: You understand, Captain, that this mission does not exist, nor will it ever exist...

A rough calculation of my Bacardi consumption is between 5 servings and "damn." I don't math well so take that for what it blue monkey overcast boobies. With that said, Sell the house. Sell the car. Sell the kids. Find someone else. Forget it. I'm never coming back. Forget it.

Some day this war's gonna' end.

What's the subject again? I need to go ban someone and clear my head.

A rough calculation of my Bacardi consumption is between 5 servings and "damn." I don't math well so take that for what it blue monkey overcast boobies. With that said, Sell the house. Sell the car. Sell the kids. Find someone else. Forget it. I'm never coming back. Forget it.

I like Bushmills. :D

Bacardigate...........:ninja::-"O_o

Trump taps Kushner to lead a SWAT team to fix government with business ideas

This is the sort of thing I could normally support. Although I think the business/government differences make it impossible to run the government 'like a business' there is a huge amount of room for efficiency and improvement in government in general. Congress is one of the worst sources for efficiency in operation so I would think an aggressive executive branch focused on this could make some serious headway - especially a team with direct access and support from the President.

However, even after just 65 days I don't trust this administration to make anything but a mess of this. To my mind they've demonstrated their priorities as cutting regulation to maximize corporate profit and minimize corporate oversight/accountability. Combined with this administration's penchant for constant lying - even about shit they don't need to lie about - it just seems like this thing will lack the two most important elements in reforming organizations: the right priorities and a high level of trust/credibility.

I hope I'm wrong though. It would be nice to get some good governance out of this administration somewhere instead of 4 years of vitriol and decline as partisans fight everything out.

This is another area I think the Trump administration could score a win in, but I suspect they won't: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/27/..._th_20170327&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=41336949

Conservatives hate the IRS as it represents everything they hate about 'big government.' But, to me, it's a case were ideology works against them in a very practical sense. On immigration and gun laws we hear a consistent conservative refrain of 'enforce laws on the books' before enacting new laws. I can't understand why the same shouldn't be true of the IRS. The article quotes the statistic (which I've seen other places) that every $1 invested in the IRS returns $4 to the government - it's $10 if the $1 is spent on enforcement. The current estimate is $450 Billion dollars in uncollected taxes - not to mention the millions/billions of productivity lost to taxpayers due to scams and frauds the IRS helps enforce against.

The Trump administration - with it's populist message and lack of ties to conservative orthodoxy - is in a great position to say 'yeah, this is a good investment - I'm going to decrease the deficit by 80% by just beefing up the IRS and collecting the taxes we're owed.'

I don't think they'll do it, but it would be a very smart move.

Nunes is a total clown and should've recused himself from this investigation weeks ago. I mean, seriously? You have a guy who was part of the leadership for the Trump transition team investigating the Trump administration? That is absolutely asinine and presents a giant, glaring conflict of interest. And in light of all this it makes perfect sense that he's doing all of this weird shit with the investigation in the past week.

Nunes is a total clown and should've recused himself from this investigation weeks ago. I mean, seriously? You have a guy who was part of the leadership for the Trump transition team investigating the Trump administration? That is absolutely asinine and presents a giant, glaring conflict of interest. And in light of all this it makes perfect sense that he's doing all of this weird shit with the investigation in the past week.

I thought at first Congressman Nunes would be alright. Sure, he's a partisan guy who wants President Trump to be exonerated and/or the charges to go away - but I think that's going to be common amongst just about anyone in congress. Members on both sides of the aisle by-and-large are going to be angling for the best case for their party. However, you assume some level of scruples and/or unwillingness to show yourself a complete hack. Congressman Gowdy struggled with it on Benghazi and I think you saw some glimmers of it in the torture investigations in the house. But in this case, I agree with you. Congressman Nunes seems committed to nothing but covering for the President.

The crazy thing is, even as someone who tends to think pretty poorly of this President, I don't think this Russia stuff is going to add up to the smoking gun people seem to think. The only thing that makes it seem so bad is the whitehouse's efforts to continually lie about it and cover things up. Even if an investigation is able to show close and continuing contacts going back years between the President's close advisors and Kremlin intelligence operatives that's still a far cry from a smoking gun actually proving the President conspired, you're always going to have cutouts and middlemen, even if he knew something. And in this partisan media environment there are always going to be plenty of people with alternative theories or not believing the ties - there are still people who think OJ is innocent. I doubt anyone is ever going to produce a tape showing unambiguous collusion - and that's what it would take for impeachment. President Trump is surrounded by a bunch of unscrupulous cronies who sidled up to and made money off Putin and his allies for years - no shit. He's also surrounded by folks who have done the same thing with other authoritarian leaders and tons of shady corporate characters - especially from the fossil fuel sector and real estate. Shit, if you look at the President's record in real estate he might count as one of those shady characters. Ultimately I just don't see any of that being so out of the blue for his supporters that it's going to change a bunch of votes or party affiliations. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
The crazy thing is, even as someone who tends to think pretty poorly of this President, I don't think this Russia stuff is going to add up to the smoking gun people seem to think. The only thing that makes it seem so bad is the whitehouse's efforts to continually lie about it and cover things up. Even if an investigation is able to show close and continuing contacts going back years between the President's close advisors and Kremlin intelligence operatives that's still a far cry from a smoking gun actually proving the President conspired, you're always going to have cutouts and middlemen, even if he knew something. And in this partisan media environment there are always going to be plenty of people with alternative theories or not believing the ties - there are still people who think OJ is innocent. I doubt anyone is ever going to produce a tape showing unambiguous collusion - and that's what it would take for impeachment. President Trump is surrounded by a bunch of unscrupulous cronies who sidled up to and made money off Putin and his allies for years - no shit. He's also surrounded by folks who have done the same thing with other authoritarian leaders and tons of shady corporate characters - especially from the fossil fuel sector and real estate. Shit, if you look at the President's record in real estate he might count as one of those shady characters. Ultimately I just don't see any of that being so out of the blue for his supporters that it's going to change a bunch of votes or party affiliations. Just my opinion.
Agree on all accounts. I think it's really unfortunate that the Democrats are getting whipped up for possible impeachment proceedings that are likely not going to happen. Really, the grand conspiracy that Trump is some kind of Manchurian candidate working for Putin is a total non-starter. The much more likely explanation, I think, is a more banal conspiracy: Trump was probably trying to cultivate financial interests in Russia, some of which may have been on the very shady side, or needed help fundraising for his campaign and so sought to curry favor with Russian oligarchs. While probably not illegal, let alone impeachable offenses, a smart electorate *should* look at that and say "Yeah, this guy cannot govern in the best interest of the United States with these financial ties." Unfortunately what we wanted was a wall and nebulous promises of manufacturing jobs returning to the United States.

What I think *will* happen is that one of his campaign cronies (probably Mike Flynn, or perhaps that psychopath Roger Stone) will flip and testify on Paul Manafort. Manafort, I think, is going to jail. Out of everyone in the entire operation, his dealings are the absolute shadiest. From the absolutely disgusting consulting work he did in Russia way back in 2005, to the corrupt off-the-books dealings he did with Viktor Yanukovych, there's no way that he doesn't get implicated in something.

I do believe, however, that there was at least one person or persons in the Trump campaign who facilitated the DNC and RNC hacking last year. It probably wasn't directed by the campaign, but as indicated by the unverified intelligence dossier that Christopher Steele released last year, members of the campaign funneled money to the Russian hacker groups purportedly responsible for the hacking. I just doubt that even if Trump himself were involved in payments to these groups, it's highly unlikely that he would be implicated.

Even if absolutely none of this plays out, I could see some of these guys testifying under oath, and getting a slap on the wrist for perjury. None of them can keep their stories straight for two seconds. Really, this is a blessing for Democrats. The administration is so poorly-run that they trip themselves up without any Democrat involvement whatsoever. Can you imagine if a Cruz or Rubio had come in with these kinds of financial ties? You'd get absolutely stonewalled for four years.

ETA: As further evidence of the near-impossibility of impeachment, just look back at the Watergate scandal. It took over two years, with a Democrat-controlled congress, and Nixon admitting to the cover-up on tape, to finally approve impeachment. There's no way in hell that Republicans are going to recommend impeachment proceedings, even with provable collusion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back