Things Every "O" Should Know

-When you're asking for something from someone, and you get what you want, STOP TALKING. The only thing you're going to accomplish by continuing to flap your gums is to talk yourself out of whatever it is you just got permission to do. Once you get that north-south head nod, say "thank you" and GO AWAY.

Praise in public and criticize in private!

Listen to the NCO's (especially those like CAR!)

Learn when they should look the other way!

Lead from the Front!

Don't ask anyone to do something you wouldn't do yourself! (excluding orders, I suppose)

Set the example/high water mark and be the benchmark that everyone should reach for!

Have the attitude that everyone you meet has something to teach you!

Be willing to get dirty with the troops!

Be humble and respectful! But be a leader that truly commands respect by actions, not just words!

Be strong but compassionate!

But then I was only an E-7 so what the hell do I know!

I agree with everything posted here, (especially the part about listening to me }:-);) ) and everything else I've read here.

...be there when the NCO needs a hammer.
especially rings true. Don't know how many times I've told LTs, "Just stand by, sir. I'll holler when I need you. Met with a Reserve SGM today about an issue. The boss is standing by for me to tell him what the SGM and I decided is the best course of action....I'm pretty sure he's gonna do what I recommend.

I think the theme that has worked its way out in this thread is "letting NCOs do their jobs." As an officer, you can't/shouldn't be a SME. That's our job. Your job is make take input, come up with a plan (with input), make decisions, and then let us go about our business of taking care of business.

Don't wear pink boxers with I love NY on them unless you specialize as a SIGINT officer.

lol

Points for both crossthreading, and making fun of Freefalling.

/////

Don't try to fake it. If you're not the smartest, fastest, funiest, most technically knowlegable... whatever person in your unit, don't try to be. Soldiers will see right through that. There is one thing that you can always be though, in whatever unit you lead- the hardest working.

I saw one today in action, it seems so easy yet I watch too many O's do it.

You are taught how to salute, don't make one up. Your enlisted deserve a proper salute. Your "high speed" little wave with your forearm parallel to your torso looks like ass and so does anything else. Do it right, you embarass yourself and the officer corps with that garbage.

I saw one today in action, it seems so easy yet I watch too many O's do it.

You are taught how to salute, don't make one up. Your enlisted deserve a proper salute. Your "high speed" little wave with your forearm parallel to your torso looks like ass and so does anything else. Do it right, you embarass yourself and the officer corps with that garbage.

Don't get me started.........

Calling the BN S-1 a future war criminal and telling the BC that his plan is "stupid" are typically career limiting moves. Courage and Candor aren't really Army values. You can do the right thing or you can have a career, but you can't do both.

So true.

I am not an officer, but these are things that I respect and hope to see in officers.

- Always do the right thing, no matter who it will hurt in the end. Turning a blind eye or sweeping something under the rug will always bite you in the ass. Joe will be the first to rat you out.

- When in charge of a mission or task, develop your plan, allow NCO’s to help refine the plan and then issue your orders to the NCO leaders. Allow the NCO’s to lead their soldiers and avoid on spot corrections (save it for the AAR).

- Know your job and every soldier’s job under your command; you can’t lead someone in their duties, if you do not know what those duties are.

- Leading from the front, doesn’t mean you always need to be in front of your soldiers. Allow your soldiers to take point and reward them for good performances.

- Never argue with other leaders in front of your soldiers, take it behind closed doors and always maintain the moral high ground. No need to cuss or degrade anyone, it will only make you look like a jerk.

- Officers are responsible for everything that goes on in their unit, if a soldier fucks up in your command, then you have fucked up as well. Don’t pass the buck or allow someone to burn alone, every person officer to enlisted is responsible and shares the punishment.

- Keep every thing you possibly can (good or bad) with in your command, the last thing you want or need is someone else giving orders to your unit. Everything goes through you and only goes forward with your approval (remember you’re responsible).

- Your soldiers are taken care of first; you do not eat or sleep until they have. You do not get the better kit or the better MRE, you insure every single soldier under your command is taken care first.

Don't try and "sell" me a shit sandwich, or convince me it really tastes good. I'm enlisted, not stupid. just tell me it has to get done despite how shitty it sounds, and It'll get done. trying to get me to like it will cause me to like YOU a lot less.

JAB - everything you said was spot on, but these are really important - especially the last one.

- Keep every thing you possibly can (good or bad) within your command, the last thing you want or need is someone else giving orders to your unit. Everything goes through you and only goes forward with your approval (remember you’re responsible).

- Your soldiers are taken care of first; you do not eat or sleep until they have. You do not get the better kit or the better MRE, you insure every single soldier under your command is taken care first.

Well said, brother.

Unless you're filing a discrimination-based complaint, the Inspector General's office is almost completely useless. If you need to "go big" on behalf of your Soldiers (or for yourself) file a Congressional.

-If you can't summarize your company-level command philosophy in one page, you probably think too highly of yourself. One page; anything more than that can be covered in subsequent policy letters.

-Changing the date and the signature block on things like range OPORDS and policy letters is not only acceptable, but highly encouraged. Don't spend time re-inventing the wheel if someone else already done it for you.

-In the admin hierarchy, your policy letters for things like training, maintenance, and PT should ALWAYS come before your policies on things like EO, sexual harrassment, and the promotion of diversity. Where are your priorities?

Back