Ukraine - Russia Conflict

Break, break...you are an absolute to the core dumbass of a journalist if you think nations like Russia and China (and their proxies) respect journalists the way we do in the West. Fourth Estate, please. Better learn learn to play basketball and change yo' pronouns, son. "He/him" is soon to be "Arrested/ convicted."

They (Russians) look like us, but they don't think like us. To a government that routinely uses journalists as spies, they assume everyone else does, too. For us, we never use journalists as spies (I know, I know....), so we assume no one else does, either.

A journalist can be in an informal sympathetic relationship with an intelligence agency and provide information out of patriotism…not necessarily on the payroll.

There are a few journalists who are also patriots.

A journalist can be in an informal sympathetic relationship with an intelligence agency and provide information out of patriotism…not necessarily on the payroll.

There are a few journalists who are also patriots.

Many journalists are informal intelligence gatherers as they are unwitting participants. I believe some purposefully engage in espionage but I believe those are few and far between. Kind of anathema to western, mainly US, journalism standards.

Here's bit about the OSS during the Second World War. I suppose there is a subtle difference between being a journalist and posing as one. The CIA doesn't exactly inform who is on their payroll and who isn't. Further a well-placed journalist is truly more effective in contributing to waging psychological warfare these days.

So how many journalists in the US news organizations are dupes, sympathetic, or actually on the payroll of foreign intelligence Agencies? I'm willing to guess these sympatric journalist outnumber by 3 to 1 those that are patriots. Which might be why there is probably causal for very few, if any journalists being used by the U.S. as spies.

The OSS is known for frequently recruiting daring individualists, including, bold risk-taking, rule-bending or breaking journalists, adventurers, professionals, entrepreneurs or others. U.S. Jounalist working overseas certainly have the language skills being need for intelligence gathering during the Second World War.

Knox Chandler, a former journalist and college professor and the chief instructor at RTU-11, “The Farm,” the OSS SI finishing school.

Private Edgar Prichard, a journalist from Tulsa, Oklahoma, joined the Army and become bored as a company clerk before being recruited by the OSS.

Richard Helms, also worked in the Secret Intelligence Branch and subsequently served as Director of Central Intelligence (DCI). Prior to the start of the Second World War he was a Jounalist in both the United States and Europe. When the U.S. entered the war, Helms enlisted in the Navy as a lieutenant and was assigned to the antisubmarine warfare operations center in New York City. In August 1943, the OSS recruited him, without his seeking it, because of his experience and connections in Europe and his fluency in French and German in Europe.

Virginia Hall spoke fluent French, had been working as a code clerk in the U.S. embassy in London in 1940 when SOE recruited her and sent her, posed as a New York journalist, to Vichy France, where she organized and ran a very effective string of French undercover agents.

Last edited:
Yep, I noted the sarcasm, but I be in the boat of never say never or always. BTW, my respect for journalists isn't what it once was as there be a lot of partisan reporting to push agendas more so than informing with factual information.

Many journalists are informal intelligence gatherers as they are unwitting participants. I believe some purposefully engage in espionage but I believe those are few and far between. Kind of anathema to western, mainly US, journalism standards.

Yeah. The vast majority are vacuous, self-obsessed egoists with an astonishing lack of historical and political knowledge. Most, at the least, are Left-leaning if not full-blown Leftists--not because of any commitment to an ideology--but because it's been the prevailing disposition of the press/media since the Vietnam War.

Any semblance of impartiality or regard for professional ethics has largely vanished from the highest tiers of press/media, supplanted by the agenda-driven goals of the media owners.

Last edited:
Back