Ukraine - Russia Conflict

Award-winning US journalist Brent Renaud killed in Ukraine: police

So the guy was wearing a badge holder with the American flag, and “peacekeeper” embroidered on it, holding his press credentials. However, the badge was from a previous assignment as he was not there on assignment with NYT.

So how does this play out? American killed, but under false credentials…

He's another martyr, in a war that desperately needs them.

Moreover, he's a martyr from a country that Ukraine desperately needs to have involved, from a demographic that "isn't supposed to get killed" during a war.

By this logic, the maternity hospital was a legitimate target since the babies will grow up to be soldiers one day. Not that they cared.

Hard disagree. If you are making munitions or any thing else used against a military force you are fair game. We did it all the time in Iraq and Afghanistan with IED makers.

Hard disagree. If you are making munitions or any thing else used against a military force you are fair game. We did it all the time in Iraq and Afghanistan with IED makers.
That is true. I would say that in this case, it is a larger question (assuming you are applying LOAC principles instead of what the Russians would likely do) of trying to gather intelligence to ascertain who is the bomb maker and reduce the possibility of civilian casualties and target his place with precision munitions when he is ideally alone.

My fear, and what I was trying to make light of, is that the justification will result in a response that is widely disproportionate because random people "could" be making Molotov cocktails.

All I'm saying.

They were bombing civilian targets well before any advance into the cities and they have no intel to back them up. They're using local sim cards and stolen phones to call back to inform high command when generals are being killed.

From your artical:
"Before leaving Washington on Sunday, Sullivan warned China not to try to “bail out” Russia by helping Moscow to circumvent the sanctions that the US and its allies have imposed on President Vladimir Putin and his regime."

Would the above article I just posted stand as trying to "bail out" Russia by helping Moscow to circumvent the effect of sanctions? Appears the line may have already been crossed.

Back