Ukraine - Russia Conflict

Ok. Serious question. The foreign fighters who come over an enlist in Ukraine's foreign legion, are they mercenaries? Illegal combatants? Soldiers in the Ukrainian Army? What do you think their status should be?

Question prompted by this article about a Brit captured by the Russians.

If recruited and/ or hired to serve a foreign nation with pay? Mercenary.
An unpaid volunteer? Just that. What does Geneva or the Hague think of such? I don't care to research.

Weren't these people put through some type of official reception and placed into an official designation of "foreign legion" type thing? Wouldn't that make them Ukrainian Soldiers?

When I was a kid and read about the Lincoln Battalion, Eagle Squadron, and Flying Tigers I thought they were badass. Then I learned the Lincolns were Communists, the AVG mercenaries, and the Eagle Squadron was ultimately saved by the politics and emotion of the time.

"A-dub, you were a contractor." Yup, for an American company on an American contract working for the American military...toooooootally the same thing as those above.
---
Bottom line, you want to go off and play Savior of the World, then Big Boy Rules apply. I may or may not watch your YouTube channel and laugh at your dumbassedry.

Soviet Air continues to be the strangest things/biggest surprises in a surprisingly underwhelming offensive. SEAD is apparently non-existent. Perhaps this is also why no heavy bombers? Soviets also appear to be fair weather flyers only. Wonder how big a role logistics/maintenance are playing here as well.
I was at a conference this weekend where we talked a bit about that. I'm still perplexed as to why Ukraine has any air force at all, and why the Russians haven't completely cratered all working airfields and any long stretches of highway that might work as airfields. If this had been a US invasion, one of the first things to happen is a total destruction of the opposition's air power.

I was at a conference this weekend where we talked a bit about that. I'm still perplexed as to why Ukraine has any air force at all, and why the Russians haven't completely cratered all working airfields and any long stretches of highway that might work as airfields. If this had been a US invasion, one of the first things to happen is a total destruction of the opposition's air power.

From The Atlantic article you shared:

"...the Russian air force continues to suffer from flawed logistics operations and the lack of regular, realistic training. Above all, the autocratic Russian kleptocracy does not trust low-ranking and middle-ranking officers, and so cannot allow the imaginative, flexible decision making that NATO air forces rely upon..."

I think we could safely assume at this point that the above seems to apply equally to the Russian Army and Navy.

Last edited:
Ok. Serious question. The foreign fighters who come over an enlist in Ukraine's foreign legion, are they mercenaries? Illegal combatants? Soldiers in the Ukrainian Army? What do you think their status should be?

Question prompted by this article about a Brit captured by the Russians.
If your definition isn't grounded in the GC, pick whichever one you want them to be.

If you're going by the GC, they are legal combatants and soldiers in the Ukrainian military.

Serious question: what happens if a Soviet cruise missile schwacks our First Lady, diplomat, or GO while visiting Kyiv?

Tinfoil time: members of our government want that happen.

Alex Jones level: the Deep State!

For a serious answer. There should be a process in place where they've contacted the Russians to say hey, we're visiting if she dies you die. But in diplomatic language which of course will never directly say what they want to say because why would you speak plainly in a dip note.

If that happened and she got hit well then tough shit for visiting a war zone I suppose?

Posting this here because it's just pure awesomeness:
Beware of an old man in a profession where men usually die young...granted, they're just doing what they need to do to defend their home but the spirit is there. No rush, just let me put my glasses back on...OK...send it. As the kids say, this guy is a total vibe. 🤣

Last edited:
Serious question: what happens if a Soviet cruise missile schwacks our First Lady, diplomat, or GO while visiting Kyiv?

Tinfoil time: members of our government want that happen.

Alex Jones level: the Deep State!

No better time for Trudeau to actually do something good and eat a cruise missile. Not like we need an embassy in Ukraine now, anyway. I don't want any of his security team to get hit, I probably know some of them but fuck Trudeau.

Even this dog hates the douchebag.

For a serious answer. There should be a process in place where they've contacted the Russians to say hey, we're visiting if she dies you die. But in diplomatic language which of course will never directly say what they want to say because why would you speak plainly in a dip note.

If that happened and she got hit well then tough shit for visiting a war zone I suppose?

Can't edit but I meant to say "if that didn't happen..."

First the First Lady, now this. Russia is going to lose for sure.

See U2's Bono and the Edge Play Surprise Acoustic Set in Kyiv Bomb Shelter

Following a personal invitation from Ukraine president Volodymyr Zelensky, U2’s Bono and the Edge visited Kyiv Sunday to perform an acoustic concert in one of the city’s subway stations-turned-bomb shelters.

“The people in Ukraine are not just fighting for your own freedom, you are fighting for all of us who love freedom,” Bono told the audience, which included soldiers. “We pray that you will enjoy some of that peace soon.”

Those visits are very interesting to me. First of all, it sends a pretty strong message of support, both from the USG and from a band/individual with enormous non-state influence. It also indicates that the situation on the ground inside these major western-Ukraine cities must be super safe. It also shows that Russia is getting their asses absolutely kicked on the information warfare front. Notwithstanding their tactical gains on the ground the Russians are losing strategically in pretty much every area that matters.

Back