Ukraine - Russia Conflict

I’m gonna be 💯 on this.

Does it matter? Is that why the Russians invaded Ukraine? Is that a reason not to help?

I agree but for many, they don't care.

I've seen responses to similar questions with comparison to the lefts opposition towards Iraq and Afghanistan. Along with; it's a European problem, why should American's get involved.

Last edited:
What remains of my once beloved Republican Party continues to peel apart day-by-day and is morphing into a party of self-righteous and triggered buffoons who are no better than the ‘left’ we used to mock.
I read an article recently stating only about 5% of Republicans side with Putin. Point being that we have our " squad " that should STFU sometimes too.

I watch Fox News. I'm not embarrassed to say it.

These types of bills have very broad bipartisan support. But I think it's totally reasonable to expect some fiscal accountability and to be concerned about broadening a conflict to which we are not directly a party.

If there were a Republican in the White House right now, there would be a whole bunch of (D)s voting "no." The main difference is, in that scenario there would be some (R)s doing it as well.

Well no one is being held accountable for the the trillions we spent in Afghanistan...and the IG who was appointed was effectively told to pound sand by Congress. So I don't think the the idiots we elect care for more than their seat.

Well no one is being held accountable for the the trillions we spent in Afghanistan...and the IG who was appointed was effectively told to pound sand by Congress. So I don't think the the idiots we elect care for more than their seat.

Or the billions we spent in Syria, or that we spend in our proxy shadow wars in Africa or South America, not to mention what we do to counteract China, and various other places. I don’t see the gnashing of teeth for any of that shit. Here we actually have a legit no shit country that is antithesis to the US and our values invading a neighboring democracy, and folks are like “well let’s make sure the I’s are dotted and the t’s are crossed…” or “maybe they are corrupt” give me a fucking break. I’ve spent too much time doing stuff that I know had less oversight than this to pretend that it is suddenly an oversight issue.

Or the billions we spent in Syria, or that we spend in our proxy shadow wars in Africa or South America, not to mention what we do to counteract China, and various other places. I don’t see the gnashing of teeth for any of that shit. Here we actually have a legit no shit country that is antithesis to the US and our values invading a neighboring democracy, and folks are like “well let’s make sure the I’s are dotted and the t’s are crossed…” or “maybe they are corrupt” give me a fucking break. I’ve spent too much time doing stuff that I know had less oversight than this to pretend that it is suddenly an oversight issue.
But our old folks need to worry about Social Security drying up.

But our old folks need to worry about Social Security drying up.

Woah woah woah. That there is a liberal social net designed to make people reliant upon the government.

To be clear, I agree you. It doesn’t happen often, but I 100% agree with you.

Every report I've seen to date states that polls state that the Russian population support this war in percentages from 70-80%, now I was with Russians in Ukraine that were fighting for the Ukrainians, but as a population, that country can burn.
My unit was using a Chinese 60mm mortar when I was there, I don't know where it came from or where the ammo was from, but the mortar was brand new..
Because if they don’t support it they end up dead. This is like polling Cambodias during Pol Pot reign and asking if he is a good leader

Every report I've seen to date states that polls state that the Russian population support this war in percentages from 70-80%, now I was with Russians in Ukraine that were fighting for the Ukrainians, but as a population, that country can burn.
My unit was using a Chinese 60mm mortar when I was there, I don't know where it came from or where the ammo was from, but the mortar was brand new..

I agree on all of the first point.

On your second, that turns out to be the truth of the video- the bombs are 60mm supplied to Albania by China back when they were Maoist some time, supplied to the Ukrainians by the Albanians, captured by the Russians then recaptured by the Ukrainians.

You can see the video there.

Some of that the US public isn't aware of what's going on. They can barely tell you anything about Afghanistan and I guarantee they would "deer in the headlights" if asked about Africa.

The other problem, and I agree with your post 100% btw, is the US public has become accustomed to hearing about a new x billion dollar aid package to y country to fight z terrorists. A) It has become normal to hear this if they even follow the news and B) they generally don't care about international relations (or much of anything) until whipped into a frenzy by their media outlet of choice.

Lots of interesting takes in this thread, to be sure. Reading them has given me some really good points to explore internally, and it's been fun to compare those takes and the stuff I have access to because of the job.

I wonder how we look at this conflict in 10 years.

Because if they don’t support it they end up dead. This is like polling Cambodias during Pol Pot reign and asking if he is a good leader
Which brings up an interesting point if that is true, did 20-30% of the polling population tell Putin to jam it where the sun doesn’t shine?
I’d like to find out how these polls are conducted. I know when the media are asking people on the street, it’s all “I love Stalin”, but I wonder with the polling.

I read an article recently stating only about 5% of Republicans side with Putin. Point being that we have our " squad " that should STFU sometimes too.
I read that same article. I thought it was deeply disingenuous of them to use quotes like “Ukraine is a DC distraction & scam" and “I’m more concerned with the US-Mexico border than the Russia-Ukraine border. Not sorry” as being "pro-Putin." It is just the latest iteration of "anyone we don't like is a Nazi."

Back