What Is The Purpose of Intelligence?

It's a cycle.

The entire DOD/DOS Intelligence cycle taught with one slide!!!!!!!

20 years of 'Death by Powerpoint' solved in 60 seconds!!!!!!

Priceless!!!!

Northern Hemisphere vs. Southern Hemisphere appear similar in disposition: :doh::doh:

Polar Bear said:
Why is there always at least one burnt rice crispy in every box?

We've got more than one burnt rice crispy in THIS box, LOL!

The entire DOD/DOS Intelligence cycle taught with one slide!!!!!!!

20 years of 'Death by Powerpoint' solved in 60 seconds!!!!!!

Priceless!!!!

Northern Hemisphere vs. Southern Hemisphere appear similar in disposition: :doh::doh:

I think we've solved it! I'll this as the "way ahead" at the next CSM/SGM conference. :D

I think we've solved it! I'll this as the "way ahead" at the next CSM/SGM conference. :D

Can you say 'Impact Promotion to CSM'? for this innovative old approach to Intel?

No more Powerpoint! No more Powerpoint! No more Powerpoint! :doh::doh:

SGM uprising...Headlines read:

'US Army announces armywide schools POI's cut by 1/3rd'

The US Army announced today that it is moving away from the powerpoint presentation normally given in a classroom environment. Soldiers will now train outside where they're supposed to be anyway.

;)}:-)}:-)

Do intelligence analysts go on to decide what types of activities would disrupt an enemy's activities? I would think perhaps this aspect of the chain-of-progression might be better decided by the recipient of the intelligence product.

Same question. At what point does the gathering of intelligence, the analysis of intelligence, and the rendering of conclusions end?

Should intelligence be completely sterile, devoid of conclusions- leaving the client / customer to draw his own? I'd guess there is a balance between objectivity and actually producing usable data, in a digestible format.

I ask this question since so much of intelligence work is apparently compartmentalized. An analyst may not have access to other parts of the puzzle. From where he sits, that elephant may appear to be a flat, leathery wall. Another analyst- working via a different set of mediums- might see a tree trunk. Since much of intelligence- especially as it relates to combat operations- is a living, breathing thing- and evolves by the second, I believe more of the "conclusions" should be left to the commander on the battlefield, and perhaps just a little bit more "raw".

Of course, as little as I know about this subject, I'm just speculating.

You're correct, in the Big Army, an analyst wouldn't have much say in operational planning, although every SF team has their own Intel NCO, as well as a supporting Intelligence unit. At the ODA level, I suppose there is equal amounts analysis and planning. Marauder and the BTDTs would know, but they're not tellin'. ;):D

In other branches, it's not unheard of for an intel guy to get involved in operations, my congressional rep being a good example. He's technically part of Naval Intelligence, but has participated in operations aboard EA-6 Prowlers (back when there was such a thing). Another example of a guy that was involved as both an analyst and in operations would be Iceal Hambleton, who flew the BAT 21 mission in Vietnam.

At any level, a good operations guy is probably a pretty good analyst, too.

:D:D:D

Aww, shucks! We's ne'er been one's fer book learnin' and such!;)

Do intelligence analysts go on to decide what types of activities would disrupt an enemy's activities? I would think perhaps this aspect of the chain-of-progression might be better decided by the recipient of the intelligence product.

Same question. At what point does the gathering of intelligence, the analysis of intelligence, and the rendering of conclusions end?

Should intelligence be completely sterile, devoid of conclusions- leaving the client / customer to draw his own? I'd guess there is a balance between objectivity and actually producing usable data, in a digestible format.

I ask this question since so much of intelligence work is apparently compartmentalized. An analyst may not have access to other parts of the puzzle. From where he sits, that elephant may appear to be a flat, leathery wall. Another analyst- working via a different set of mediums- might see a tree trunk. Since much of intelligence- especially as it relates to combat operations- is a living, breathing thing- and evolves by the second, I believe more of the "conclusions" should be left to the commander on the battlefield, and perhaps just a little bit more "raw".

Of course, as little as I know about this subject, I'm just speculating.

Evaluation and interpretation is often done multiple times with the same information as it morphs from combat intelligence, or raw data, to usable intelligence. As raw data is collected, it must be evaluated for its intelligence value (What is it worth? What does it mean? Does it answer any of the question asked by the commander in his statement of essential elements of information?), the credibility of the source and accuracy. Upon determining the value, credibility and accuracy of the information it then must be interperated. The analyst, or reporting officer (RO) in some cases, should determine the significance and its ability to answer the commander’s EEI’s, arriving at conclusions which should be included in the report as analyst or RO comments. Without arriving at some sort of conclusion it is difficult to dtermine the value of the data.

FMFRP 12-16 (USMC) sites the book answer in evaluation and interpretation as asking the following questions:
(1) Is it information of the enemy or of terrain not under our
control?
(2) Is it information needed immediately, and if so, by whom?
(3) Is it information of future value?
(4) Is it information of value to this unit, or to higher, subordinate?
or neighboring units?

These are good questions to ask yourself during the evaluation and interpretation processes. At the same time, information thought to be of no value can actually be a missing piece of the puzzle. RO’s should take great care not to get too involved in the evaluation process, rather they should collect data, give a base value conclusion and send it higher (G-2/J-2/S-2 ect.) Just because it does not fit into these specific questions does not necessarily mean that it is not pertinent information. Generally it should be left up to the analyst to draw conclusions rather than the RO.

At the same time, information thought to be of no value can actually be a missing piece of the puzzle.

A VERY important point to keep in mind. It's nice to get one of those Bingo! or Eureka! moments, but most of the time the information is nothing until it can be collated and corroborated through some other source.

It ain't always about hitting one out of the park. That's one of the reasons those just in time interrogation scenarios bother me so much.

A VERY important point to keep in mind. It's nice to get one of those Bingo! or Eureka! moments, but most of the time the information is nothing until it can be collated and corroborated through some other source.

It ain't always about hitting one out of the park. That's one of the reasons those just in time interrogation scenarios bother me so much.

Agreed. Intel is a long process, that is why it is so misunderstood by those that have only been exposed to immediate results in the military.

To gain information
To define the enemy
To Gain and Maintain the Initiative.
To provide security

:2c:

Nope. You forgot the main one to drive operations/give manuever commanders targets.

The term intelligence drives operations is a very broad and basic description of many different elements of tactical intellgence. But intel is much, much more.

Te purpose of intelligence is to provide analysis in areas relevant to national
security;

give early warning of impending crises;

serve national and international crisis
management by helping to discern the
intentions of current or potential opponents;

inform national defence planning and
military operations;

protect secrets, both of their own sources
and activities, and those of other state
agencies; and

may act covertly to influence the outcome of
events in favour of national interests.

Much of this does not have anything to do with military operations.

The term intelligence drives operations is a very broad and basic description of many different elements of tactical intellgence. But intel is much, much more.

Te purpose of intelligence is to provide analysis in areas relevant to national
security;

give early warning of impending crises;

serve national and international crisis
management by helping to discern the
intentions of current or potential opponents;

inform national defence planning and
military operations;

protect secrets, both of their own sources
and activities, and those of other state
agencies; and

may act covertly to influence the outcome of
events in favour of national interests.

Much of this does not have anything to do with military operations.

This is Intel where I was going with earlier posts.

You have that damn book open again....dontcha...:p:p

Here: :p:p:cool:

http://www.history.army.mil/books/Lineage/mi/mi-fm.htm

;);)

Yep, here it is in case anyone else wants to quote straight out of it too:

http://www.dcaf.ch/_docs/bg_intelligence_services1.pdf

The way I read it though is that what was quoted is the purpose of intelligence services, which is different than the purpose of intelligence.

Yes, I quoted that. I am guilty of plagiarism.

No matter whether it is the definition of the purpose of intelligence or of intelligence services. They are one in the same. This is the mission of the intel services, to conduct intelligence. For what purpose? To achieve the multiple missions of intelligence.

Intelligence drives operations... correct. Yet, it is not limited to that alone. Intelligence serves many purposes.

We as soldiers work so often at the tactical level that it is the only thing we see.

This thread is excellent. I have taken a ton away form it and will be better off in my course study because of it. Thanks to all who are contributing.

I found this at the Center for Defense Information:

The overall purpose of intelligence is to provide policymakers the information they need to decide on the diplomatic, economic, and military actions needed to maintain national security.

Intelligence has two primary challenges: determining the capabilities an opponent can muster and fathoming the intentions to employ those capabilities — the who, what, when, where, how, and how much. The latter are the hardest to determine, particularly when the opponent has little or no visible supporting infrastructure and support.

http://www.cdi.org/terrorism/intelligence-role-pr.html

Working out what the other fuck is doing it and how he is doing it, so you can fuck him up. :2c:

The SSCI reacts/doesn't react to all of the Info/Intel that is given to them.

What often happens is that info/intel from one 'pet project' favorable to a senior Senator is seen as more important than info/intel offered from a junior Senator, thus the Senior Senator's info/intel becomes more important and policy is then dictated from the more important [sic] data, even though the junior's was more up to date and correct.

Concur!

We fukn make those jackass Intel weenies look good, even though we had Shitty Intel.[/B]

Never needed an operator to make me look good..... ;):D

Back