Your 2024 Presidential Election Thread

This brings up an interesting question about semantics. You say you weren't in combat, but were you "in war?" For example, I frequently say that I am a "war vet" but not a "combat vet," because to me they are two different things.
I’m not sure anymore. It’s all relative I suppose. I was in some hairy situations but I’m not sure it was war. Not like Ukraine is experiencing.

I think the interesting thing is we can’t even decide what is right..

He was a SGM, in rank and responsibility for sure. But not in professional development? He got a DUI, that is lame, but so have literally a ton of guys in the military. Including some of my best friends, like it or not I have certainly deserved one in my past.

I personally do not think getting out after 24 years with or without a deployment makes someone a shitbag. The military is one part of any persons life. If life lines up a certain way, and you want to get out, fucking get out.

How many people here have changed units, went to schools, or did numerous other things that changed their position or MOS or whatever that may have impacted their unit as a whole? I don’t see that as dodging anything, it is a big military and it goes on without all of us.

But we were just saying that he was actually not, and him saying he was, was disingenuous
I'm not sure who "we" is, but I don't think I ever said that. I hope I didn't. He was disingenuous about saying he retired as a CSM, because he didn't, and that has now been corrected. And I personally believe he was extremely disingenuous to lead people on about serving "in war."

I'm not sure who "we" is, but I don't think I ever said that. I hope I didn't. He was disingenuous about saying he retired as a CSM, because he didn't, and that has now been corrected. And I personally believe he was extremely disingenuous to lead people on about serving "in war."

I agree with you.

However, I think it is picking nits pretty hard to be wearing CSM rank the day you retire but then say you weren’t a SGM.

I agree with you.

However, I think it is picking nits pretty hard to be wearing CSM rank the day you retire but then say you weren’t a SGM.
He was a CSM, but he didn't retire as a CSM. He held himself out as something he wasn't for years, until literally this week when he felt compelled to change it. I don't think that's a little thing. Reasonable people can disagree and that's fine.

He was a CSM, but he didn't retire as a CSM. He held himself out as something he wasn't for years, until literally this week when he felt compelled to change it. I don't think that's a little thing. Reasonable people can disagree and that's fine.

For sure. I’m with you, I just see the below as being what happened:

I can see a thousand scenarios where someone would say “I was a CSM at xxxx.” And “i retired out of xxxx” without clarifying that after their papers cleared their retirement rank was busted to E-8. That isn’t super crazy to me. And in the guard? All kinds of weird shit happens over there.

I want to be clear, I understand how he misrepresented himself as something he wasn’t. I’m as not cool with that as anyone……

But at the same time, the day this dude retired he was rightfully wearing CSM rank. He isn’t claiming to be a fucking delta seal sniper. He is saying he was a rank he technically was the day he retired. I think it is a nitpick, and to most of the population is going to come across as an “ACKSHUALLY” type situation.

It really doesn't matter what his OMPF says anyways, why we're even talking about it is a legit distraction. He's a gaping asshole who was MIA like Mayor Pete on Paternity Leave of a child he adopted with his male partner during the biggest supply chain crisis in America, except that his entire state was burning to the ground and he hid in his governor's mansion. Then he decided you want to know how we stop COVID? Let's set up a snitch line so people could snitch on their neighbors. Before we even get to his military record understand that his policy positions, which include making [some] speech against law (hi, 1st Amendment being ripped to shreds, what is this the Patriot Act shit again?), completely show he is of horrible character and is unfit for office and that the good people of Minnesota have been hypnotized by the caliphate that runs their state that they couldn't figure out this thing called a recall petition. If you are a Democrat, do us a favor and vote for Mickey Mouse or someone else because your party has put forward people that will just curb your rights. Also, last night Kamala met with a pro-Hamas group. AYFKM?

I'm beginning to understand the political brilliance of selecting Gov. Walz. He shores up the hardcore left, which was waning due to Pres. Biden's perceived support of Israel. He is ideologically fully aligned with VP Harris' agenda, which reassures the party's base. And it give political top cover for "they're attacking veterans!!" for the Democrats' attacks against Vance.

Yeah I got hazard pay and one of my trips to SA was technically part of OEF…however while I would call those deployments, they weren’t combat.
This. When people ask how many deployments I have it’s one number, when my 214 and record say more. Because I only count what we called ‘combat deployments’ in those.

I went to Africa a hand full of times; not sure I’d call those ‘combat deployments’, but we did some stuff.

Dan has a great point here- the bill came due for Walz, and he crawfished.

Back