2016 Presidential Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Here's an interesting read :http://stroke.ahajournals.org/content/23/7/1017.full.pdf

The above report is pretty rare, but could she have another reason for the cough?

Even if she does have something going on, you have to consider it in the context of how near death FDR was on the start of his 4th term as POTUS. Things just get buried.

You know, once is nothing. Twice, a coincidence. But when many physicians are starting to speak up, it does make you wonder. And of course they want to bury it. The difference between now and 1944 is in 1944 the government could very easily manipulate what the media could access. It's much harder today.

Reactions: AWP
You know, once is nothing. Twice, a coincidence. But when many physicians are starting to speak up, it does make you wonder. And of course they want to bury it. The difference between now and 1944 is in 1944 the government could very easily manipulate what the media could access. It's much harder today.

In the WW II era, the press was a responsible, professional reporting media. Back then, you did not tell the press. Today, they tell the press, and direct what spin to put on things. The media now works hand in hand to shape how the news is delivered. If there is no way to paint it roses; they just do not report. If anyone does say something the least bit off message, careers can be ended, and you are a liar; true we have Brian Williams, but hey, he's a nice guy and means no harm; it's just, you know,...... Brian.

When the USS Wasp was sunk the US had something like 1/2 a carrier (a damaged USS Enterprise) in the Pacific. The USN asked for the RN to send a carrier which they did in 1943. Until the RN could deliver and the Essex class came online we had one semi-functional carrier in the Pacific.

The US press knew this and didn't say a word.

The USG actually took the Wasp survivors and quarantined them on an island until it (USG) could sort out the next few moves.

Try any of that today. Go ahead, I'll wait.

The media are vermin. No more, no less.

An interesting 50 state poll came out of WaPo today. Sampling over 74,000 registered voters, it's one of the largest polls to date.

New poll shows how Trump-Clinton matchup is redrawing the electoral map

Here's some analysis on it, also courtesy of WaPo: A new 50-state poll shows exactly why Clinton holds the advantage over Trump

The solid blue and solid red states remain the same, as do the lean-blue or red states. But the poll revealed some interesting tidbits about the tossup states. For example Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Michigan are all very close, whereas Hillary had previously enjoyed 3-5 point leads following the conventions. Trump's support in the midwest is stronger than originally estimated. Additionally, key swing states such as Florida and North Carolina are virtually in a dead heat, with the advantage being within the margin of error.

What was perhaps most surprising was Texas. Texas hasn't given its electoral votes since 1976, but according to this poll Clinton is currently ahead in the Lone Star State by about 1 point. Again, that's still within the margin of error, but when you consider the fact that Romney won Texas by 16 points, McCain by 12 points, and GWB by over 20 points both times, it's a pretty significant development. To me that's pretty nuts!

I do have one concern with this poll, however. As you can see in their methodology report, the poll was conducted online from a sampling of the nearly 3 million SurveyMonkey users. This means that while respondents were registered voters, they essentially needed to opt-in twice; first to the SurveyMonkey platform, and then to this specific SurveyMonkey/WaPo poll. I have a feeling that this could have skewed the results somewhat, though I trust the Post's statisticians more than my own undergraduate-level knowledge of statistics.

The Post-SurveyMonkey poll used an online-based sampling methodology that differs from previous polls by The Washington Post. Those are telephone surveys based on random samples of cellular and landline phones.

The new poll was conducted online as part of SurveyMonkey’s 2016 Election Tracking project, which recruits respondents from the large number people who take polls on the company’s do-it-yourself survey platform, roughly three million each day. A subsample of respondents to this range of surveys — which includes formal and informal polls of community groups, companies, churches and other organizations — were invited to participate in a second survey with the prompt, “Where do you stand on current events? Share your opinion.” The survey was not advertised on any website, so individuals could not “click-in” in an effort to influence results. A survey invitation could be used only once.

From Aug. 9 to Sept. 1, the survey asked the sample of 74,886 registered voters about their presidential support, including between 546 and 5,147 respondents in each state. The final sample was weighted to the latest Census Bureau benchmarks for the population of registered voters in each state.

To their credit, the Post acknowledges the difficulty of achieving a truly representative sample from an online poll.

The Post has generally avoided citing results from non-probability Internet-based surveys such as SurveyMonkey, as it is impossible to draw a random sample of Internet users, and random selection is a widely accepted standard in drawing representative samples of any population.

As Internet-based surveys have proliferated, research has grown on the ability to make accurate population estimates from these non-probability samples. Several benchmarking studies have found that probability sample surveys produce smaller errors than samples from opt-in, non-probability surveys. But research has also found that some non-probability methods have been more accurate than others. The Post has continuously reviewed this evidence with an aim of developing a standard to determine which non-probability techniques are useful and appropriate.

Here's the full survey results, including methodology report, if you're interested.

(Special thanks for @lindy for guilting me into subscribing to the Post!)

Last edited:
Agree 100% with Freefalling, the media of the 40's were still Americans first, news 2nd....nowaday....damn! News X will sell their kids to beat News Y at a story!!!!!:wall:

Deathy, if Texas goes to Hillary, there is no more proof needed....voter fraud is real!!!!!:blkeye:

I agree that Texas probably won't go blue this election, but it's definitely a strong sign of the changing demographics in the state.

@Red Flag 1 I think if you look at any biographies - especially political ones - running from WWII through Watergate you'll find them replete with stories of the press actively suppressing information on behalf of prominent figures. Similarly you'll find hard-edged partisan media coverage to be the norm, not the exception. Not sure where the 'golden age' of journalism is being imagined in your historical perspective but the timeline you are referring to is not it.

@Red Flag 1 I think if you look at any biographies - especially political ones - running from WWII through Watergate you'll find them replete with stories of the press actively suppressing information on behalf of prominent figures. Similarly you'll find hard-edged partisan media coverage to be the norm, not the exception. Not sure where the 'golden age' of journalism is being imagined in your historical perspective but the timeline you are referring to is not it.

I really appreciate the feed back. I agree with your observation regarding the press and political figures. Jim Bishop's book,"The Last Year Of FDR" is a prime example. It continued thru the Kennedy, and Johnson administration. The personal activities of President Kennedy were not openly mentioned while he was POTUS. The media turning point began with Viet Nam, and saw it's real power with Watergate. The press made Nixon's second term useless, and carried a lot of power at the time. During the Johnson Administration, Walter Cronkite made the observation that we could not win in Viet Nam. His statement was not news, it was a personal opinion, and had no place on the "Nightly News Hour". Cronkite's statement had a lot to do with Johnson not seeking a second elected term as POTUS. He has been quoted as saying,"If I have lost Cronkite, I have lost the nation". His observation of the power Cronkite had was at the same time; telling, and prophetic. He saw what power the press had against an administration. Nixon's administration, proved it. The press became very aware of the raw power it could bring. Of late it has been put into daily use.

As for a palpable shift in news coverage, I would say the Gore loss to Bush saw the GOP loose to the press. Granted the GOP has a really good bead on it's own feet, I am of the opinion that the Democratic party, across the board, has had good press since GW Bush became POTUS. I feel it played a big role on the election of the current administration. It is having another role in this election cycle. Never before has there been such a divisive media tone between the two candidates. Both sides are spinning and shaping news. I believe that the professional journalism that was pro America is gone. The media today seems to have an agenda, and their agendas are pretty apparent.

That's my $.02 on journalism today. I appreciate that you are opening the door to both your ideas, and mine. Many red a "X" show, and go no further. If this discussion draws enough interest, we may need to open a "Power of the Press", or "Media Centered" thread.

Last edited:
I was looking for the 'agree 75% option' but the admins haven't gotten around to adding that button. I've been reading 'Before the Storm' - starting Rick Pearlstein's trilogy on the rise of the modern Republican party (this book covers SEN Goldwater's race for president in 1964 - highly recommend it) and have been struck by the state of the media then. But, media criticism is probably another thread so I won't digress further.

Texas is full of Latinos, they tend to vote blue/not Trump.

That's not really true down here, a lot of conservative/republican hispanics in Texas.

I agree that Texas probably won't go blue this election, but it's definitely a strong sign of the changing demographics in the state.

The inner cities typically vote Dem, where the suburbs and rural areas lean Rep. What has changed alot of things is the influx of people from other states, who screwed up their state, are moving here for jobs, than voting for the Dem model that fucked up the state they come from. That's an X factor that I'm not sure how it will change Texas politically over the next few decades. To say the least, it concerning, as shit normally gets all fucked up in Texas when Democrats are running things (our Texas Democrats are a bit more crazy than the rest). I like a solid balance with a crazy Governor, keeps everyone on their toes and guessing what the hell is going to happen next.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
The only good things in Austin are football and BBQ, but they're even trying to get rid of the BBQ.
In the town where I went to high school (in the Houston suburbs). It seemed like the families were pretty even between conservatives and liberals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back