Abortion Repeal?

My chick was just telling me people are protesting in Salt Lake City as well. I guess the dumbass people are too busy to realize this was a "federal Supreme Court" ruling and had nothing to do with state level government...🙄
Utah has a trigger law which immediately bans abortion in the state. So it's absolutely has to do with state level government right now.

It's almost like the dumbass is the person who doesn't realize that this immediately became a state level issue and people are aware of that.

Utah has a trigger law which immediately bans abortion in the state. So it's absolutely has to do with state level government right now.

It's almost like the dumbass is the person who doesn't realize that this immediately became a state level issue and people are aware of that.
Awwww, sounds like those people should've picked a different state to go kill their babies in...🤷‍♂️

Dude, that rebuttal rocks! If it hit any harder no one would believe any different, they would only have pink hats.

image4061139x.jpg

Stormed might be a pretty strong word for a 100 or so people on both sides of the issue in front of the capitol building.

Hundreds gather at rally in reaction to SCOTUS decision overturning abortion rights

@Muppet Also.

This is a case of don't always believe what you read.

First, our Capitol building is open to general public until 6pm local time. Hard to storm something not off limits.

Second, I personally saw the crowds. My watering hole of choice is directly across the street from the standard site of protests and rallies at the Capitol. Total crowd was ~900 participants. Normal for most spur of the moment stuff during the SUMMER. No students.

Pro-life was small, maybe 100 to 150 tops. Pro-choice was around 800+ according to my friends in the police department.

@Muppet Also.

First, our Capitol building is open to general public until 6pm local time. Hard to storm something not off limits.

Second, I personally saw the crowds. My watering hole of choice is directly across the street from the standard site of protests and rallies at the Capitol. Total crowd was ~900 participants. Normal for most spur of the moment stuff during the SUMMER. No students.

Pro-life was small, maybe 100 to 150 tops. Pro-choice was around 800+ according to my friends in the police department.
I read an article saying there were guns, specifically a pro-choice woman carrying an AK. Any inside poop on that?

'It's not over': With signs and guns, hundreds rally in Downtown Madison to protest end of Roe

@Muppet Also.

Yeah one minute of google search is all it takes sometimes.

Cuts both ways though no?
Interestingly, I was just thinking...
I see that Dick's Corporation among other companies is stating that they will assist employees in travel costs and expenses to obtain abortions. I was wondering, do these companies cover IVF/infertility services currently? The ACA does not require infertility treatment to be covered under the ten essential benefits. So the States take up that that issue, or not. Apparently, some States can require insurance carriers to "offer" infertility treatments but some can require insurance carriers to "cover" infertility treatment. I'm actually just taking a look around at the different State's criteria at the moment. But getting to my point. I wonder now, if companies are going to be covering abortion expenses, could employees then demand that their IVF/infertility treatment expenses (which are mostly out of pocket) be reimbursed?

Once I had it explained to me in detail, I decided RBG was right, in my opinion. Roe was sloppy case law.

Had the case been presented under the equal protection clause of 14A, it would have been much harder to overturn. While it mentioned Palko v. Connecticut, and cited two cases that passed the Palko test, Roe itself did not attach itself to a specific amendment the way Stanley v. Georgia linked to 1A or Katz v. United States linked to the 4th. Nor did Roe prove long standing tradition that is fundamental to our society, such as the right to marry (Maynard v. Hill in 1888). Tradition would have nuked Roe, since abortion has historically been frowned upon by many cultures.

Loving v. Virginia was passed under equal protection, not due process/right to privacy. While Maynard established the right to marry as an unenumerated right, Loving demonstrated that the right should be applied equally, rendering VA’s prohibition of interracial marriage unconstitutional.

Had the lawyers arguing in favor of RvW presented the argument that since men can’t get pregnant and are not at risk of dying from pregnancy related complications, but women certainly can and are, it may have gone differently. It would have been a much more solid argument. The treatment of ectopic pregnancies or spontaneous abortions (medical term for miscarriage) that don’t completely pass on their own would be protected by constitutional law if it had been argued that way.

I’d like to think that RBG was waiting for a litigant to come along that actually gave a damn equal protection, but that’s a stretch.

I was being "lectured" by a 20 something know it all at work the other day. After all I am just a "boomer". :rolleyes: She was spouting off about how she is not going to let a bunch of "old men" tell her what she can and can't do. I pointed out that the composition of the SC was a bunch of men and she told me I had no clue what I was talking about. She didn't have much to say after I had to actually show her a picture. LOL

I was being "lectured" by a 20 something know it all at work the other day. After all I am just a "boomer". :rolleyes: She was spouting off about how she is not going to let a bunch of "old men" tell her what she can and can't do. I pointed out that the composition of the SC was a bunch of men and she told me I had no clue what I was talking about. She didn't have much to say after I had to actually show her a picture. LOL

20-something know it alls saying stupid stuff could be a thread on its own.

Back