California Banning the sale of Gas Powered Automobiles

Why do you know so much about the Detroit Lions? 🤔

I borrowed two fucks from Wikipedia - that's how I now know that their color is "Honolulu Blue"
What the fuck is Honolulu Blue anyway?
It's a stupid fucking name for a color used by a Detroit-based football team - that's what it is.
A football team that sucks.
Both literally and metaphorically

This is on him for a couple of reasons:
- He bought an electric TRUCK! A truck! Not a sedan, but a barn door.
- He didn't plan out charging stations? Not just for his trip, but...period? No research at all? Even in his home city?
- He bought a Ford.

My wife's had a Tesla for about a month or so. We learned a lot about EV's from the purchase, but we didn't go in blind and we live in Central FL. We have charging stations and knew where those were when we bought the car. The rates they are quoting in the article, that's not what my wife is paying, but I'll ask.

He has to own the L here.

This is on him for a couple of reasons:
- He bought an electric TRUCK! A truck! Not a sedan, but a barn door.
- He didn't plan out charging stations? Not just for his trip, but...period? No research at all? Even in his home city?
- He bought a Ford.

My wife's had a Tesla for about a month or so. We learned a lot about EV's from the purchase, but we didn't go in blind and we live in Central FL. We have charging stations and knew where those were when we bought the car. The rates they are quoting in the article, that's not what my wife is paying, but I'll ask.

He has to own the L here.
He purchased a $130,000 lesson in EVs.

In theory. The majority of manufacturers are building bidirectional charging into new models, already.

The problem with the law, is permitting the government to reverse the energy flow. This is virtue signaling with lazy grid management, instead of investing in reliable energy sources like nuclear. EV's will be treated no different than any other grid connected renewable energy source. This will not be just for your house and in the event of an outage, the energy stored could be moved to a completely different area of California.

California consumes 259.5 TWh and currently only has 5600 MW of battery storage built. That is 0.002% of energy backup.

California had 903,620 light duty EV's registered in 2022. The average EV battery capacity is 40 kWh. That translates to approximately 36144.8 MWh capacity. That's only another 0.014% of backup.

Grid-Connected Renewable Energy Systems.

Alternative Fuels Data Center: Maps and Data - Electric Vehicle Registrations by State.

Attachments

• CA-Energy Sector Risk Profile (1).pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
What's the impact? Do I shorten battery life by draining and recharging? Is there a limit to the drain? i.e. how much charge do I get to keep. Does it require a design change to the car?
Having the state draining my battery so I only get 100 miles seems counter-productive to me.

Do you live in California or have an electric car?

I don’t think you have to do any of those things.

I think it’d be cool to be able to power my house with my Tesla/wtf ever car when there is a storm and the power goes out. I don’t live in California either, so I’ll just hope that their regulations spur further investment and invention. Shit I’d like it if I could run my diesel car like a generator in the same situation.

In theory. The majority of manufacturers are building bidirectional charging into new models, already.

The problem with the law, is permitting the government to reverse the energy flow. This is virtue signaling with lazy grid management, instead of investing in reliable energy sources like nuclear. EV's will be treated no different than any other grid connected renewable energy source. This will not be just for your house and in the event of an outage, the energy stored could be moved to a completely different area of California.

California consumes 259.5 TWh and currently only has 5600 MW of battery storage built. That is 0.002% of energy backup.

California had 903,620 light duty EV's registered in 2022. The average EV battery capacity is 40 kWh. That translates to approximately 36144.8 MWh capacity. That's only another 0.014% of backup.

Grid-Connected Renewable Energy Systems.

Alternative Fuels Data Center: Maps and Data - Electric Vehicle Registrations by State.

You could always unplug your car though right?

ETA: I agree that it is poorly thought out. It is a cool idea that should have added benefit to the industry moving forward though.

If California had heavily invested in Nuclear Power instead of succumbing to the blue anon idiocy, maybe Electric vehicles would be ok because you might have a robust grid. But the grid has brown outs all summer because it currently cannot support just the people, let alone the electric cars charging. Charging your car is only cheaper for 300 Miles because the government is screwing the rest of us by keeping those rates low. Remove the subsidies and tax breaks and normalized the costs of doing business. If you do that I wonder how many people buy Hybrids or Electric?

If California had heavily invested in Nuclear Power instead of succumbing to the blue anon idiocy, maybe Electric vehicles would be ok because you might have a robust grid. But the grid has brown outs all summer because it currently cannot support just the people, let alone the electric cars charging. Charging your car is only cheaper for 300 Miles because the government is screwing the rest of us by keeping those rates low. Remove the subsidies and tax breaks and normalized the costs of doing business. If you do that I wonder how many people buy Hybrids or Electric?

California divested from nuclear power unfortunately. They did have plants. My dad worked at 3 of them. California divested from Nuclear in the 60’s and 70’s. Idk what blue anon idiocy is, but they probably shouldn’t have done that I agree.

Electricity where I live is supplied partially by nuclear, and electricity is significantly cheaper than gasoline.

Do you live in California or have an electric car?

I don’t think you have to do any of those things.

I think it’d be cool to be able to power my house with my Tesla/wtf ever car when there is a storm and the power goes out. I don’t live in California either, so I’ll just hope that their regulations spur further investment and invention. Shit I’d like it if I could run my diesel car like a generator in the same situation.
I don't need to live in California to comment, nor own an EV to know the grid (as it now stands) can't handle the load.

I drove a Tesla a couple years ago and now i want one. Fast as hell.

Anyone with an EV should know if you're traveling out of state charging can be a real pain.

0-60 in like 3-ish seconds and it's acceleration doesn't care what speed you're going when you bury the throttle.

Tesla Supercharger Map | PlugShare

Alternative Fuels Data Center: Electric Vehicle Charging Station Locations

I know for a fact those doesn't cover all of the stations, but you can also see Winnipeg doesn't exactly have the best coverage, nor does the route homeboy would take to Chicago. Also, Teslas come with the other style of charging adapter, so you aren't beholden to just their stations...I can't speak to other company's EVs.

0-60 in like 3-ish seconds and it's acceleration doesn't care what speed you're going when you bury the throttle.

Tesla Supercharger Map | PlugShare

Alternative Fuels Data Center: Electric Vehicle Charging Station Locations

I know for a fact those doesn't cover all of the stations, but you can also see Winnipeg doesn't exactly have the best coverage, nor does the route homeboy would take to Chicago. Also, Teslas come with the other style of charging adapter, so you aren't beholden to just their stations...I can't speak to other company's EVs.
As you said, there are a couple different charger types and the Ford couldn't use the Tesla station, although I think I read Tesla now has an agreeement for Ford and GM to use their adapters going forward. Sounds like a couple of the stations he did stop at were out of service.

Stayed at a hotel last week, one Tesla charging station and a generic charging station.
The new Buc-ees going up all have stations.
Grid needs to be improved, solar and wind won't cut it.
Nuclear is safer than anyone wants to admit, but activists killed that industry.

T. Boone Pickens before his death, an oil magnate, invested massively in wind energy. Remember, the oil industry is an enemy of the Nuclear industry. The green assholes had a supporting front from the oil industry. A significant part of West Texas wind farms are owned by the Pickens family...people are smart, they can see where the subsidies are. Our grid will be super fucked because the government chose to give EVs precedence over Hydrogen. We have made ourselves now wholly dependent on fossil fuels for electricity in a lot of places.

Nuclear is significantly better for the environment than EVs are, think about if we had a grid that was 70% nuclear coupled with most of the vehicular fleet on elevated CAFE standards so your F-250 got 50MPG towing? And the next significant portion of the vehicle fleet was hydrogen powered? But nah, let's strip mine and slave mine for Tesla batteries. Mining Cobalt is incredibly dangerous btw, way more dangerous than say coal. And guess what, where they mine cobalt there ain't no unions.

Back