California Banning the sale of Gas Powered Automobiles

The headlines are fast ans furious these days. You can't make this stuff up:
Irate family called police on Jennifer Granholm's team for blocking charging station spot for her electric car

"The four-day trip from North Carolina to Tennessee was "intended to draw attention to the billions of dollars the White House is pouring into green energy and clean cars."

Granholm's ambitious southern trip that was "painstakingly mapped out ahead of time to allow for charging," however, drew the ire of one family in particular, due to a familiar problem for electric car vehicle drivers.

"But between stops, Granholm's entourage at times had to grapple with the limitations of the present," NPR's Camila Domonoske, who accompanied her on the trip, wrote. After Granholm's staff realized there weren't enough charging spots for electric vehicles at a stop near Augusta, Ga., "an Enerfy Department staffer tried parking a nonelectric vehicle by one of those working chargers to reserve a spot for the approaching secretary of energy."

"That did not go down well: a regular gas-powered car blocking the only free spot for a charger?" Domonoske continued.

"In fact, a family that was boxed out — on a sweltering day, with a baby in the vehicle — was so upset they decided to get the authorities involved," she explained. "They called the police."

The headlines are fast ans furious these days. You can't make this stuff up:
Irate family called police on Jennifer Granholm's team for blocking charging station spot for her electric car

"The four-day trip from North Carolina to Tennessee was "intended to draw attention to the billions of dollars the White House is pouring into green energy and clean cars."

Granholm's ambitious southern trip that was "painstakingly mapped out ahead of time to allow for charging," however, drew the ire of one family in particular, due to a familiar problem for electric car vehicle drivers.

"But between stops, Granholm's entourage at times had to grapple with the limitations of the present," NPR's Camila Domonoske, who accompanied her on the trip, wrote. After Granholm's staff realized there weren't enough charging spots for electric vehicles at a stop near Augusta, Ga., "an Enerfy Department staffer tried parking a nonelectric vehicle by one of those working chargers to reserve a spot for the approaching secretary of energy."

"That did not go down well: a regular gas-powered car blocking the only free spot for a charger?" Domonoske continued.

"In fact, a family that was boxed out — on a sweltering day, with a baby in the vehicle — was so upset they decided to get the authorities involved," she explained. "They called the police."
There is nothing clean about electric cars, but why the hell would you attempt to highlight the electric car recharging infrastructure with gas-powered vehicles making up most of the convoy? Lol.

There is nothing clean about electric cars, but why the hell would you attempt to highlight the electric car recharging infrastructure with gas-powered vehicles making up most of the convoy? Lol.
It's a friggin' Gong Show all the way around with this administration.

Disagree - On the 'Gong Show' striking the gong usually stops the shit show and brings out the Unknown Comic or Gene-Gene-The-Dancing-Machine to cover the dead space before Chuck Barris cuts to a commercial...

Disagree - On the 'Gong Show' striking the gong usually stops the shit show and brings out the Unknown Comic or Gene-Gene-The-Dancing-Machine to cover the dead space before Chuck Berris cuts to a commercial...
Good point.

Good point.
If you want to stick with the "Game Show" theme, I would opine that this holy-shit-balls of an administration is more like "The Better Sex" from the late 1970's....

-It's men versus women in a battle of the sexes.
-Is it the women?
-Is it the men?
-Which gender is "THE BETTER SEX?"
-Six men
-Six Women

-Our contestants go head-to-head bluffing their way through trivia.
...bluffing their way through

Bless us this day our daily political disappointments.
A-MEN
and A-Women

Now, verfily I say to ye' go forth and strip mine the African contient of its cobalt and precious metals so that we noble Americans can profit from their riches as we drive in luxury - sans internal combustion engines.

Tesla update:

Charging the car is far, far cheaper than gas.

But here's a GREAT feature of the car. I do mean GREAT. Yesterday, my wife went to the grocery store. An hour later I received a frantic call to meet her there. I'm thinking wreck or something.

Yeah, nah.

THE FUCKING CAR HAD A SOFTWARE UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!! IN A PUBLIX PARKING LOT!!!!!!!! This motherfucker knows where you live, but "ain't care" and kicked off system updates. You can't drive your car while this happens. You sit in your 40k brick and wait for Elon Jesus' Starlink birds to "fix" your car. Ah, but what if there's a problem? You call a help desk of course! Who mans the help desk?

You know that answer. Apu Nahasapeemapetilon or whatever. After an hour where Apu is basically poo, the car magically finished updating and turned on like all was right in the world.

I look forward to the day when hackers turn every EV into bricks or whatever.

Tesla update:

But here's a GREAT feature of the car. I do mean GREAT. Yesterday, my wife went to the grocery store. An hour later I received a frantic call to meet her there. I'm thinking wreck or something.

Yeah, nah.

THE FUCKING CAR HAD A SOFTWARE UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!! IN A PUBLIX PARKING LOT!!!!!!!! This motherfucker knows where you live, but "ain't care" and kicked off system updates. You can't drive your car while this happens. You sit in your 40k brick and wait for Elon Jesus' Starlink birds to "fix" your car. Ah, but what if there's a problem? You call a help desk of course! Who mans the help desk?

You know that answer. Apu Nahasapeemapetilon or whatever. After an hour where Apu is basically poo, the car magically finished updating and turned on like all was right in the world.

I was so expecting the help desk to be an AI chatbot, not a call center. Sounds like a chat other might have been equally useful too.

@AWP appreciate your honest feedback. It's good to hear, pros and cons, from an owner who isn't a shill.

Thank you.

The Tesla is impressive and I really like the no BS ordering process. Driving the car takes some getting used to because it just isn't like other cars, the controls, no dash board, etc. The acceleration of an EV is ridiculous. Her Tesla rides great, road noise is as good as it gets, the sound system is awesome, and because you're driving a computer the games, bells, whistles, customization (there are numerous horn sounds for example) is insane.

But I'm not blind and I'm wary of the EV industry as a whole. I've posted ad nauseum about that here and elsewhere, so I won't rehash those arguments. I know EV's are all the rage these days, for both good and bad reasons, but based on what I've seen and read every manufacturer is playing catch-up to Tesla. I'm curious to see if that continues and if Elon stays ahead of the curve.

But a software update at 4:30 in the afternoon in a public place? C'mon, man, that's bullshit. You can schedule the updates, but that shit really shouldn't be pushed to you unexpectedly. And if the factory can do that to your car, you think malicious third parties can't?

I'm curious to see how this Tesla/ EV ownership plays out.

I know 0 about EVs. Does it begin updates when you start the car (like a computer)?

According to my wife, she came out of the store and it was already updating.

Something I never thought of when we bought the car: The car doesn't turn off like a regular auto. When you get out, lock the doors, and walk away, it goes into "sleep mode" (I'm sure Tesla calls it something different). The car is still on, but in a reduced power state. All of its kind of life support systems are running in the background. The battery, for example, has to remain within a certain temp range. Hot day? The car senses the battery temp and triggers fans to keep it cool. Cold day? Heaters to keep it warm.

I found a way to schedule the software updates, so they can occur at say 3AM or whatever. Just like your computer coming out of sleep mode, the car will initiate that service as programmed.

Just sitting in a driveway burns a little bit of power. Once that thing is built and powered on for the first time...its on.

With the app (needed to even start the car, though you also receive cards with RFID chips to do the same), you can remotely trigger the a/c which is nice for a Florida summer. Kick it off 5 minutes before you go out and have a nice, cool car waiting. It has a number of cameras and you can trigger it to record, set a motion detector to trigger, store the video, and actually hear the audio if you're in the car (not remotely if memory serves).

Every time you walk near a Tesla, the owner may or may not see you depending upon how they configured their car. I forget how much video the car will store.

Amazon said Alexa didn't store audio until it came out at a murder trial that old Alexa retains the last 15 or so seconds of audio. What does Tesla do with your data? Audio? Video? Would it tell you the truth?

As a nerd, the car is fascinating and a little terrifying. When you stop thinking about it as a car and start thinking of it as a computer you drive, your perception of things really changes.

Tesla update:

Yeah, nah.

The thing is, all cars are basically brickable. Most newish cars connect to wifi and update stuff. Maybe not the entire car, as you’d things combustion engine would still work, but even the engines are computer controlled.

The thing is, all cars are basically brickable. Most newish cars connect to wifi and update stuff. Maybe not the entire car, as you’d things combustion engine would still work, but even the engines are computer controlled.

Great point. Makes me wonder which is more vulnerable. EV's, hybrids, or combustion? I'd probably put them in that order, more attack vectors or pathways.

Great point. Makes me wonder which is more vulnerable. EV's, hybrids, or combustion? I'd probably put them in that order, more attack vectors or pathways.

Yeah I bought a new car and had to wait months because of chip issues. Comes this week, but it realistically has as much computer control as many EV’s and Hybrids most likely.

They are also already making features subscription based. Which is fucking crazy to me. Want the heated seats you bought? $10 a month?

Last edited:

But a software update at 4:30 in the afternoon in a public place? C'mon, man, that's bullshit. You can schedule the updates, but that shit really shouldn't be pushed to you unexpectedly. And if the factory can do that to your car, you think malicious third parties can't?

This bolded part is concerning, but not just from malicious third parties. Take this report as an example:
Volvo disconnected Russian dealers and car owners from the software

Russians, of course, suck, but regardless, manufacturers still disabled their software updates for the vehicles.

Now, politicize the thinking and extend the line of thought to other issues someone may disagree with. For ex, climate change. In order to force change/compliance, they deny service or worse, actively disable. Maybe they do this with government approval, maybe not. Maybe that's tinfoil hat thinking, maybe it's not. The point is, it's possible.

This bolded part is concerning, but not just from malicious third parties. Take this report as an example:
Volvo disconnected Russian dealers and car owners from the software

Russians, of course, suck, but regardless, manufacturers still disabled their software updates for the vehicles.

Now, politicize the thinking and extend the line of thought to other issues someone may disagree with. For ex, climate change. In order to force change/compliance, they deny service or worse, actively disable. Maybe they do this with government approval, maybe not. Maybe that's tinfoil hat thinking, maybe it's not. The point is, it's possible.

Pfft - possible?
How about irreversible?
Facebook
Twitter
Liberty Safe
Credit Card Companies

Corrupt governance has already weaponized the digital space against the citizenry.

A few years ago the government required the average MPG per fleet increase. Trump rolled that back, to 22 I think is the standard, unless it has been increased again. A fortunate byproduct is that there is much benefit in hybrid technology, and hybrid cars are more affordable and an option on most makes and models, the bad part is the rise in crossovers.

The market does support an increase in MPG, pretty consistently. I’m all for cars, I love them, I drive a diesel myself, and my other car is what some would consider on the sportier side.

Fleet average increases are good imo. I don’t think requiring electric is realistic by the point they want it. There are too many limitations on travel that could arise. They are likely hoping for some breakthrough, but hope is not a plan.
I agree. Banning the sales of gas powered automobiles is unrealistic currently and in the near future like California is planning to. Maybe In the future they will find a way to make solar powered automobiles and hydrogen fueled automobiles to reduce pollution.

However, making hydrogen usable for automobiles is very expensive; I don’t know how costs can be reduced drastically for it to be an affordable fuel source. In addition, I don’t think solar powered cars could go very fast (maybe they can reach about 20 miles per hour, like scooters, but add all the weight of the extra components of an automobile, battery, etc and It wouldn’t reach 20 miles per hour (guesstimate).

Hybrids seem like the best option for automobiles because of the versatility and security of having adequate energy for transport.

Back