FOOD THREAD 1

Dark chocolate covered bacon... Use thicker bacon and make it crispy.

Attachments

• delete.jpg
    delete.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 7
My contribution. A little frou-frou, but hey, shack up with a Moroccan girl and your tastes change a little bit. My take on her cuisine.

Merguez Lamb Burger with Curry Caramelized Onions & Spicy Mayo
For Four

• 1 1/3 lbs of Merguez Lamb Sausage, pulled out of casings
  • 1 large red onion
  • Pimenton/Smoked Paprika (as opposed to air-dried)
  • Curry powder
  • 1/4 cup sugar (preferably white)
  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Two handfuls of arugula (pro tip: grocery salad bars usually stock arugula and you pay buy the pound, so your quarter ounce of arugula will be like 20 cents)
  • 4 Buns/Ciabatta/Whatever
  • 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
  • 4 slices of goat cheese, 1/8th inch thick
  • 1tbsp each butter and olive oil
Make the onions ahead of time. Slice them into rounds 1/8" thick and halve them. Sauté with the butter/olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper at medium heat with until they start to brown; if they get too dry toss a tablespoon of water in. When they start to soften enough to cut with the edge of a wooden spoon, add curry powder then sugar, all while stirring. Loosen it up a little with a dash of balsamic, then turn the heat down to low and let it commingle and caramelize. Let it sit on low heat while you do other shit.

Heat a cast iron pan to "scalding" while you pull the lamb out of its casings and form it into 4 patties. You can oil your fingers beforehand so it doesn't stick all over you. It should be a burnt-sienna red and pretty pungent. You'll know it's lamb, and you'll know it's spiced. I'm assuming you've let it get up to room temperature to ensure even cooking, so go ahead and put a tiny bit of olive oil in your hot pan and chuck your patties in (don't overcrowd, and don't throw 4 ice-cold patties in at once). While you let it cook, take your 1/4 cup of mayo and fold in the pimenton, whisk together with a fork until it's a nice orange-pink and evenly mixed. Set aside. Flip the patty when the bottom starts to char up, about 4 minutes. After flipping, dress each patty with a slice of goat cheese. Only suckers cook lamb more than rare, so take these off the second the cheese starts to run and the bottom starts to crust, about another 3 minutes. While you're waiting for the patties to finish cooking, lightly toast your buns.

Pull the meat off and let it rest while you dress the buns with a wipe on either side of the pimenton mayo, then take a healthy, three-fingered pinch of the arugula and mush it onto the top bun. Feel free to muscle it a bit with your fingers; it'll spring back. Then transfer your patties to the buns, top each with a heaping spoonful of your caramelized onions, and seal arugula-laden bun on top with the deftness of hand of a three-card-monty player.

Serve and demolish.

Mother of god.......How did it take so long for me to find this thread?! Maybe I can use some of these recipes to shake up my chicken/rice/peanut butter college student diet a bit :ROFLMAO:

SHEPHERD'S PIE

This is a TOP SECRET recipe, but that didn't stop Hillary.....too soon..?!?!?! :-o

Wake up, soak your wood chips in beer (I chose Jack D chips in Pumpkin beer, no science, just all I had)...start drinking beer!
SP00_zpshqjwfsee.jpg

Drink more beer, and get your coals goin!
SP01_zpscwdotaby.jpg

Throw 8 taters on the grill, 5 for the recipe, and 3 for the lil ones that love taters.
SP02_zpsf8hr2own.jpg

Start another thing of charcoal...drink more beers! :D
SP04_zpslecsxpkt.jpg

Brush any kind of oil on your corn except Quaker State...I like olive oil....and some lemon pepper.
SP05_zpsvqdogihh.jpg

Put new coals on, throw taters on the coals, put corn on the grill!O_o
SP06_zpsqnbf2yqy.jpg

Pull corn off after 10 minutes, start your bacon, as much that can fit you in pan!
SP07_zps9algobvb.jpg

Bring taters and corn in. Smash the taters in a pan, mix with 1-2 stick of butter and 1-2 cups of sourcream...:blkeye:
SP08_zpsmnkhri0c.jpg

Remove bacon, leave the grease and throw 2-3 lbs of beef in the skillet.
SP09_zpsvneseyxy.jpg

Stir in lots of shit, cumin, basil, thyme, whatever makes you happy! :wall:
SP11_zpst2jqjutw.jpg

Start combining everything, bacon and meat...
SP12_zps11kqzmn1.jpg

Then corn....
SP13_zpsly6gkee6.jpg

Then Potatoes.....
SP14_zpsefkmfhrd.jpg

Then cheese....throw soaked chips on..then let sit for 15 min...
SP15_zpsuirkcebv.jpg

Move skillet to fire and cook for 45 min....:-"
SP16_zpsva45r753.jpg

Key steps revolve around drinking beer............:ninja:

Edit to add...I decided to make this all on the grill, like our good friends back in the 1200's BC when Shepherd's pie became popular.....little did I know that it was usually around 75 degrees in their AO as compared to the 165 degrees it was today in the NAM.

Also, little known fact these early shepherds invented aluminum foil..which was key in the potato topping........:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Tonight's dinner is already cooking.... Beef, bean, barley and vegetable stew (actually we call it stoop, not quite soup not quite stew). the delicious magic of soaking the barley in water for a day, then switching to a Moose Drool soak and adding the barley and beer to the soaked beans and beef broth has worked out well. I made enough to share, so drop on by if you are in the area.... I think a 10 qt batch of stoop will feed more than 2 people... It's on a very slow simmer for the rest of the day.

ETA- I decided that the pot wasn't full enough.... so a pound of fresh sliced white mushrooms got added... too much?

Last edited:
Has anyone here ever made pemmican?

A little side note on Pemmican, and other tinned foods. Back in the days of the tall ships with wooden hulls, and early polar explorers. Many of the cans of tinned foods, Pemmican being very popular, used solder to help seal the twist key opened tins. The expedition ships would become trapped in the ice, and explorers were trapped until the spring/summer thaw. This expedition brought to light the dangers in eating tinned foods: Sir John Franklin's last arctic expedition: a medical disaster.

Now to return from a teaching moment, to the OP:-).

A little side note on Pemmican, and other tinned foods. Back in the days of the tall ships with wooden hulls, and early polar explorers. Many of the cans of tinned foods, Pemmican being very popular, used solder to help seal the twist key opened tins. The expedition ships would become trapped in the ice, and explorers were trapped until the spring/summer thaw. This expedition brought to light the dangers in eating tinned foods: Sir John Franklin's last arctic expedition: a medical disaster.

Now to return from a teaching moment, to the OP:-).
LOL. Yeah, lead poisoning. Was planning to use plastic bags and possibly vacuum seal.

ETA: I remember the expeditions in the 80s and what they found.

I've dabbled in trying to make shredded maple jerky once. Took a large batch of jerky from my dehydrator, broke it apart, and shredded it in the food processor. Then I added maple syrup, added too much and it was pretty much sweet meat goop. If you do shred jerky using a food processor, just keep in mind that it reduces like crazy. What I thought were two gallon size bags of jerky, turned into <1/3 quart bag of jerky powder. It was depressing.

Last edited:
Big Al's Killer Hot Ham & Swiss (It's called "Killer" because people are likely to kill each other over these hoagies.)

Ingredients:

French bread
Deli maple glazed ham, sliced thin (Boar's Head preferably)
Swiss cheese
Butter (or margarin)
Dijon mustard
Onion, chopped
Wosterchestershistershire sauce ;-)
Poppy seeds

Cut the long loaves of French bread in half, (half a loaf is one sandwich). Then split them so you have a top and a bottom...because you're going to put the spread on the inside of the top and bottom.
Then you make the spread. Make enough to cover the inside of both halves. In a bowl mix equal amounts of softened butter and dijon mustard, chopped onion, poppy seeds and a healthy dash of Woctersheartershire, mix that shit up good. Then you spread it on the insides of the bread top and bottom. On the bottom half, pile up the thin sliced ham, cover the ham pile with swiss cheese and put the top of the sandwich on.

Wrap it up in alum foil. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook the sandwich for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is melted.

Enjoy with your favorite beer.

I am not responsible for violence if you fail make enough to feed everybody.

FYI--I usually make a bunch of them, like 4 loaves of french bread, 2 lbs of ham and get an assembly line going. Once you wrap them in aluminum foil, if you don't want to cook them right away, you can put them in the fridge and they'll still be great the next day. Don't let anybody eat one cold..ever.

Big Al's Killer Hot Ham & Swiss (It's called "Killer" because people are likely to kill each other over these hoagies.)

Ingredients:

French bread
Deli maple glazed ham, sliced thin (Boar's Head preferably)
Swiss cheese
Butter (or margarin)
Dijon mustard
Onion, chopped
Wosterchestershistershire sauce ;-)
Poppy seeds

Cut the long loaves of French bread in half, (half a loaf is one sandwich). Then split them so you have a top and a bottom...because you're going to put the spread on the inside of the top and bottom.
Then you make the spread. Make enough to cover the inside of both halves. In a bowl mix equal amounts of softened butter and dijon mustard, chopped onion, poppy seeds and a healthy dash of Woctersheartershire, mix that shit up good. Then you spread it on the insides of the bread top and bottom. On the bottom half, pile up the thin sliced ham, cover the ham pile with swiss cheese and put the top of the sandwich on.

Wrap it up in alum foil. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook the sandwich for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is melted.

Enjoy with your favorite beer.

I am not responsible for violence if you fail make enough to feed everybody.

FYI--I usually make a bunch of them, like 4 loaves of french bread, 2 lbs of ham and get an assembly line going. Once you wrap them in aluminum foil, if you don't want to cook them right away, you can put them in the fridge and they'll still be great the next day. Don't let anybody eat one cold..ever.
I made this hoagie or a version of it when you first posted it on here. It was friggin amazing! :thumbsup:

The last time, I threw a medium onion in the food processor with the other ingredients to make the sauce. Next time I'm going to caramelize the onions before I blend them into the sauce.

Sure sign of senility, I'm posting stuff I've already posted :wall::wall::wall:
I wouldn't say that. I just remember making it for the family when I was still in Colorado, they thought it was amazing!:thumbsup:
Just brought back happy memories is all. Plus, now new members have no excuse for missing out on this sub.:D

Back