FOOD THREAD 1

My daughter decided that she wants to be a chef and to that end she's attending one of the stateside Le Cordon Bleu campuses. Tonight she went to the store and returned with turnips, chicken, and curry for some type of chicken salad. I don't know how any of that works, but she said it is delicious. I gagged at "curry."

This is from a girl who until 6 months ago ordered chicken tenders at any restaurant. Every time. All of the time. Now she's ordering medium-rare steak.

She'll contribute to this thread one day, she just doesn't know it yet. :-)

Hmm, my Bountiful Basket (co-op fruits and veggies thing) had fennel this week, I've never cooked with it. Off to research new recipes but if anyone has any feel free to throw them out here.:-)

The leaves are used mostly as a flavoring for sauces, soups, or with meats in the same way you would use rosemary or thyme. In other words, just throw it in the pan with the meat and then remove it after cooking. It has a mild anise-like flavor so anywhere you would use star anise is a candidate. It will add that licorice flavor so typically you don't mix it with many other herbs when you use it for flavoring. It's really good with pork.

The bulbs are similar to celery with the same sweet anise flavor. They can be treated like most other root vegetables. Glazed (wine and honey is popular) or sauteed in butter and garlic. It can be eaten raw, but I like it much better cooked because the flavor is less aggressive after cooking. Usually you will see the bulbs paired with something in a salad. Celery& fennel, Orange and fennel, etc. The seeds are used heavily in indian cuisine.

My daughter decided that she wants to be a chef and to that end she's attending one of the stateside Le Cordon Bleu campuses. Tonight she went to the store and returned with turnips, chicken, and curry for some type of chicken salad. I don't know how any of that works, but she said it is delicious. I gagged at "curry."

This is from a girl who until 6 months ago ordered chicken tenders at any restaurant. Every time. All of the time. Now she's ordering medium-rare steak.

She'll contribute to this thread one day, she just doesn't know it yet. :-)

Good for her! I always hated curry until I found out that there are different types. Indian curry is disgusting to me. My neighbor had a thai restaurant for 18 years and the curry he makes is awesome. Sadly, those ingredients look like you may be having http://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-with-turnip-curry-301250 It's indian curry in that one.

Hmm, my Bountiful Basket (co-op fruits and veggies thing) had fennel this week, I've never cooked with it. Off to research new recipes but if anyone has any feel free to throw them out here.:-)

Slice it super thin on a mandolin and use it in salad. Or slice it into wedges, coat in olive oil, s&p and roast it.

He didn't mention the buffalo was butchered a week ago from a Crow Indian herd. , I think its name was Lunch ir maybe Dinner. Brined for 24 hours, coated with garlic, pepper, onion, Salish salt and Coleman's mustard, then wrapped in bacon, sealed in foil and cooked on the grill.

LL

Not sure what to call this - started off as a Jambalaya recipe, and has been heavily modified since, so... call it whatever you want. The recipe below should serve four.

Starts off with a spice mix: paprika (2 Tbsp), seasoned salt (1 Tbsp), garlic powder (2 Tbsp), black pepper (1 Tbsp), onion powder (1 Tbsp), cayenne (1 tsp*), oregano (1 Tbsp), Thyme (1 Tbsp), curry powder (2 Tbsp)

* the original recipe had WAY more cayenne, but I found that it drowned everything else out to the point of being a superheated mess. After several iterations trying to tweak the heat on this, 1 tsp is where I like it... adjust according to your own tastes

spice mix.jpg

1x green bell pepper, chopped
1x medium white onion, chopped
2x medium chicken breasts, chopped (1" cubes)
2 lbs scallops (not pictured, can substitute shrimp)

pepper-onion-chicken.jpg

Combine all of the above in a saucepan, cook for 3-5 minutes

saucepan1.jpg

Add garlic (2 Tbsp), 3 bay leaves, 1/2 cup diced tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce (1 tsp), 1 medium hatch chili pepper, sliced

saucepan2.jpg

cook until chicken is cooked all the way through, then move to crockpot/slow cooker with 1 16-oz can of chick peas. Since everything at this point is cooked, no need to apply heat, just set the system to "warm" and let the whole thing sit (I let it sit for 90 minutes)

crockpot.jpg

10645133_788949827834964_8040479245838789342_n.jpg

F.M.

Back