FOOD THREAD 1

Prime Rib Pasta.

1957802_10201996734980174_2057597472_o_zps24d38858.jpg

I cooked an 8 lb prime rib on the Big Green Egg Saturday evening. However, I was also busy with the tedious task of taping the rims of my motorcycle for painting, so no pics of that. I did of course have time to take a pic of how we decided to use some of the leftover prime rib Sunday evening. This pasta dish is made with prime rib cubes, crumbled bacon, mushrooms, asparagus, and sun dried tomatoes in a Parmesan cheese sauce.

So... the kids want to color Easter eggs but neither of them likes to eat hard boiled eggs. I've come up with a tasty solution to that little dilemma. I'm going to take some leftover crawfish tails from the annual Good Friday Crawfish Boil, plus all of those unwanted colored Easter eggs and I'm going to make some Cajun Crawfish Deviled Eggs. Standby for pics and recipe next week. 8-)

So... the kids want to color Easter eggs but neither of them likes to eat hard boiled eggs.

I have a hard time getting my Minion to leave them alone. I was trying to make deviled eggs for RP and she snagged 3 whole eggs before I could shoo her away. It was her birthday so she was trying to get everything she wanted:-/

So... the kids want to color Easter eggs but neither of them likes to eat hard boiled eggs. I've come up with a tasty solution to that little dilemma. I'm going to take some leftover crawfish tails from the annual Good Friday Crawfish Boil, plus all of those unwanted colored Easter eggs and I'm going to make some Cajun Crawfish Deviled Eggs. Standby for pics and recipe next week. 8-)
As promised...

crawfishdeviledeggs_zps32a1db58.jpg

I made red lentils, a friend works for a food broker and their biggest client is Costco. She got a 10lb bag of the suckers and gave me some so I made this recipe.

Sorry, didn't take a pic but may do so when I heat up leftovers. It is really excellent!

Ingredients

Lentils (Dal):

1 cup masoor dal red lentils, picked through for stones
2 cups water
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 (1/2-inch) piece ginger, peeled and minced
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 serrano chile, sliced in 1/2, optional

Tempering oil (bagaar):

1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
Generous 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika or bafaat powder
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Handful chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Directions

Put the lentils in a strainer and rinse them under running water. Add them to a bowl, cover with water and let soak for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.

In a medium saucepan, combine 2 cups of water, the onions, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, chile, if using, and the lentils. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Skim any scum from the surface. DO NOT ADD SALT YET; it will toughen the lentils, thereby lengthening their cooking time. Lower the heat, cover the pot with a lid and gently simmer until the lentils are tender, almost translucent, and almost falling apart, about 30 to 40 minutes.

Whisk the lentils, releasing its natural starch, and mash some them so the mixture becomes thick. Add salt, to taste.

Tempering oil (bagaar):

In a small bowl, combine the cumin and mustard seeds. In another bowl, combine the spice powders. Have all the ingredients ready because this will move very fast!

In a small skillet, over a medium-high flame, warm 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Once the oil is shimmering, add seeds and immediately cover so you don't get covered in spluttering oil and seeds! Add the spices. They should sizzle and bubble a little - that's the blooming and it's exactly what you want. Don't let them burn. The mixture
should bloom for about 30 seconds, no more.

Pour the oil mixture into the lentils, standing back so you don't get hurt when the mixture splutters again. Stir to combine. Transfer the lentils to a serving dish and garnish with cilantro.

Can add splash of fresh lemon juice before serving.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...-everyday-red-lentils-recipe.html?oc=linkback

Happy Independence Day!

Burger has salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, fresh basil, dried oregano bread crumbs, worcestershire and minced fresh garlic, grilled medium rare
Served on a fresh baked, toasted kaiser roll w/ pepper jack cheese, siracha ketchup mix, mayo and yellow mustard. Romaine lettuce, tomato and lightly sauteed red onion
Steak fries w/ siracha ketchup mix

20140704_134913.jpg

Happy Independence Day!

Burger has salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, fresh basil, dried oregano bread crumbs, worcestershire and minced fresh garlic, grilled medium rare
Served on a fresh baked, toasted kaiser roll w/ pepper jack cheese, siracha ketchup mix, mayo and yellow mustard. Romaine lettuce, tomato and lightly sauteed red onion
Steak fries w/ siracha ketchup mix

View attachment 11131

But what beer did you serve with the burger?

A nice Czech style Pilsner would be awesome I think... there's one from Montana, Czech Mate that fits the bill.

We did old school Cajun style crab boil with fourteen dozen crabs plus a bunch of venison back strap and sausage on the grill. We do the boils in two batches... the first one is mild for the old folk and the kids... then the cayenne really begins to fly for the next batch.

Holy hell, that looks goooooood! Hope you had enough Old Bay and Zatarain's crab boil for the later batches! That just looks delicious enough to slap my boyfriend (if I ever have another one) and set up a stand on an interstate exit. :D

Back