FOOD THREAD 1

So a question for you all. Do you cook your ribs individually or as a rack?

Spareribs or country ribs?

Spareribs are in racks, country ribs are individual... Don't they teach you kiwi customs cunts anything? Start with a Dry Rub, and finish with a sauce... Par boiling Spareribs removes some of the fat, and if you are using a hot grill for cooking will keep them from burning, if smokingthem it's not necessary... I thought you guys were all as good cooking primitively as your buddies Crocodile Dundee and Bear Gryllis... but no, you are uneducated commonwealth heathens without the wherewithal to wood cook animal flesh without instruction from the USofA... 'MURICA, Hell Yeah!!

Hope you didn't ruin the ribs.
BTW you are the second kiwi in as many weeks to ask for Rib cooking technique... it must be a genetic flaw.

Spareribs are in racks, country ribs are individual... Don't they teach you kiwi customs cunts anything? Start with a Dry Rub, and finish with a sauce... Par boiling Spareribs removes some of the fat, and if you are using a hot grill for cooking will keep them from burning, if smokingthem it's not necessary... I thought you guys were all as good cooking primitively as your buddies Crocodile Dundee and Bear Gryllis... but no, you are uneducated commonwealth heathens without the wherewithal to wood cook animal flesh without instruction from the USofA... 'MURICA, Hell Yeah!!

BTW you are the second kiwi in as many weeks to ask for Rib cooking technique... it must be a genetic flaw.

Ribs have never been a thing here until probably the last few years. They used to be cheap as to buy and now they're a fashionable thing. I find it hard to buy the ribs alone without seasoning for some reason every man and his dog (even the butchery) likes to sell them with a pre-made rub or marinade- the one I had yesterday was a hot and spicy one that's not too bad.

Also cunt, you didn't answer the fucking question. What are you, an officer?

marinara sauce insists on being that ugly orange color. Anyone know a way to make it red without dyeing it or altering the flavor in a major way?

Use tomato paste. I use the stuff from the toothpaste dispenser (I get mine from Trader Joes) A little adds color, taste and some punch to the sauce.

The dispenser is better than getting it from a can. You can use a little and then, just replace the cap rather than trying to figure out how to store what's left over in the can.

Also cunt, you didn't answer the fucking question. What are you, an officer?
see below, you non-reading kiwi sheepshagging herpes ridden wanker...

WTF do you mean I didn't answer the question?
Is this better...
Country ribs are lower (diaphragm and rectus abdominus), from the floating ribs and are meatier, more like a chunk of juicy goodness with some bone at one end - served individually due to the depth of musculature.
Spareribs are actually the intercostal muscles and encase the ribs, there fore served in racks.

Friggin kiwi baggage cops...:wall::wall::wall:

I made some country ribs for @Ranger Psych when he was here. I was seriously nervous about this since I'm only just learning to cook but he said they turned out well.

• 4 lbs boneless country-style pork ribs
  • 4-6 beers (I used Guinness)
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped (2 cups)
  • 4 garlic cloves minced (2 tablespoons)
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1-1/2 cups (12 oz) tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons needed)
  • 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 2 teaspoons drained bottled horseradish
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper

Put the ribs into a 6-8 quart pot and cover with beer and water (about 1/2 and 1/2). Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered 30 minutes, skimming the froth throughout.

Put oven rack in center of oven and preheat to 350F.

Meanwhile, cook onion and garlic in oil in a 3-4 quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until onion is tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer, stirring occasionally, antother 15 minutes.

Drain the ribs in a colander and pat dry. Arrange the ribs in one layer using tongs in a 13" x 9" baking dish. Pour sauce over ribs coating evenly. Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil. Bake 1 hour, then remove foil and carefully turn pork over with tongs and cook, uncovered, until very tender, about 30 minutes. Excess fat can be skimmed from sauce if you've a mind to.

Sorry for the delayed post but I've been up to my neck in honey do projects even though all I want to do is refurbish that damned motorcycle. Anyway, this was what I served my wife for Valentine's Day dinner. A 20 oz. ribeye steak, grilled asparagus and plain steamed corn on the cob. Desert was a slice of praline king cake. Being a couple of ginormous steaks there was plenty of leftovers for steak omelets the next morning (too early for pics of that).

valentinesdaydinner2013_zps9cb36154.jpg

So a question for you all. Do you cook your ribs individually or as a rack?

Individually, I've done both, and For me I've had more success with cutting them prior to. They soak up more flavor when I bake them first if they are individually cut. But its shooter preference.

Once a sauce has cooled generally the fat will rise to the top, once it does you can remove it with a spoon.

It does it while it is cooking as well. When the sauce is hot, the fat is a thin layer on top that you can skim off with a ladle or skimmer. When the sauce cools, the fat hardens and you can take it off easily with a spoon. Typically, the less fat in a sauce the clearer the sauce and more desirable. If the sauce that is actually on the ribs is greasy, you can use a paper towel to gently blot the grease without disturbing the sauce.

So Ive been under the weather for 2 weeks now and really didnt feel much like cooking today but others in my house have to eat. I threw a pot roast in the slow cooker, dumped in beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, coke, some garlic, Himalayan salt, ground pepper, a couple of dried bay leaves along with sweet mayan onion, carrots and celery. Its been cooking for a couple of hours and it smells so good. I might actually join the guys for dinner tonight!

Hope you are feeling better Chop. Comfort food will do it:-). Just south of you, I actually made beef stew for the first time in a while. My reasoning, even though it is in the 40's, it is going to be zero either Sunday or Monday night, and more snow coming. I am already cold. I wish Mother Nature would make up her mind (tons of snow, 50's, snow again, 40's, now frigid again with more snow on the way.) I am officially sick of winter. Hence, my need for beef stew.

Feel better Chop.

Thanks, J. I actually ate a little bit and it was good. No complaints from the crew either. We are getting those storm warnings as well. Bundle up and stay safe!

Back