FOOD THREAD 1

tonight's (and the next few, plus some into the freezer) dinner will be Red Beans and Rice, with Andouille Sausage and Applewood smoked bacon - with a side of iron skillet cornbread... started last night by having my sous chef soak the beans, then this morning (while was out at a Chapter breakfast) she started the beans with bacon and bacon fat, red and yellow peppers, carrots, celery, onion and water... I got done adding spices, and sausage just a bit ago... should be ready by 1800ish... the house smells like Cajun country!

Red Beans and Rice fits into the chili and spaghetti sauce category... there is no way to make small amounts of it...

tonight's (and the next few, plus some into the freezer) dinner will be Red Beans and Rice, with Andouille Sausage and Applewood smoked bacon - with a side of iron skillet cornbread... started last night by having my sous chef soak the beans, then this morning (while was out at a Chapter breakfast) she started the beans with bacon and bacon fat, red and yellow peppers, carrots, celery, onion and water... I got done adding spices, and sausage just a bit ago... should be ready by 1800ish... the house smells like Cajun country!

Red Beans and Rice fits into the chili and spaghetti sauce category... there is no way to make small amounts of it...

I can't think of a meal that reminds me of home more than beans and cornbread.

Been snowing since Saturday afternoon and now we are in for some freaking wicked cold weather with wind chills in the -35 to - 45 temps for the next two days. Decided I needed to make some soup today. Basically used what I had around the kitchen.

Escarole with Farro

Heat EVOO in heavy bottomed pot. Add carrots season with dried thyme, oregano, kosher salt and pepper, saute for about 5 min. Add celery, leeks, red pepper flakes and garlic, season with a bit more thyme, oregano, salt and pepper. Saute about 5-7 minutes then add a teaspoon tomato paste and cook another couple minutes.

Add chopped escarole, incorporate into veggie mixture and re-season with same spices above. Add one 15oz can diced San Marzano tomatoes, 4 cups chicken broth, Parmesan cheese rind and 1 bay leaf.

Bring to boil, reduce to simmer for 20-30 min or until carrots are tender. Add fresh basil, cilantro and lemon zest at the end of cooking time.

I served the soup over Farro with a sprinkle of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

Fool proof Farro

I like to use the Trader Joe's quick cook Farro. I simply boil it like I would pasta for about 10 - 12 minutes. Drain and drizzle with EVOO, season with sea salt, lemon pepper, thyme, fresh lemon zest and granulated garlic powder. Makes a yummy side dish. I like to add some other veggies and chopped chicken for a nice meal.

Escarole soup over farro.jpg

So what's your recipe for the cornbread, it looks fab!

Recipe from the side of the bag of Bob's Red Mill Cornmeal. Pretty much.

1/2 cup Coarse Grind Cornmeal
1/2 cup Medium Grind Cornmeal
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
1 tbs sugar
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk (or equivalent using solids)
1/4 cup butter melted

Mix dry ingredients together. Then mix wet ingredients together. Stir wet into dry until just mixed. Preheat oven 425. I like to bake it in an 8" cast iron skillet, which has been used to cook bacon, pour off most of the fat, leaving just the bits and enough fat to coat the bottom and the sides. The pan is preheated to that point just before the fat starts smoking then I pour the batter in and immediately put in oven. Bake 20-25 min.

LL

Just thought of this.

Note to all - those who don't bake on a regular basis, and even those of us who do, heed this.

Before you bake anything, think about the last time you bought baking soda, baking powder and/or cream of tartar. If you can't remember when you bought it, then throw away what you have at home and buy new. When you get the new stuff home, grab that sharpie and put today's date on it. Then the next time you go to bake and that date is more than 6 months, get rid of it and get new. Exception - baking soda has lots of uses even when it's too old to use for baking.

The stuff is cheap, and using fresh will make your baked goods mucho besser.

LL

Thanks for the recipe, and excellent advice about the baking soda etc. I date it so I know how "old" it is.
Most folk don't know about the age thing for leavening agents - in fact wheat flour products are the same. Wheat berries will store for quite a long time but once it's ground/milled the proteins start to break down faster.

LL

I'll take some please. Thank you please.

F.M.

No care packages CONUS to non AD/AGR... (RK excepted, she's like Walter, she scares me...)

Well? How come you haven't come out here? :D

LL

Because we've only invited him like 356,518 times... he must be waiting for an even 400,000....

Back