FOOD THREAD 1

Family favorite: pork ribs. individually cut seasoned with salt pepper and paprika. minced garlic, and resting in a base of Sam Adams Winter Lager...Home made BBQ sauce which is a secret recipe but it is a mustard base in true southern fashion. bake in the oven at 400 for about 40 minutes...then move to the grill. grilling pix to follow.View attachment 10012 View attachment 10013 IMAG0218.jpg

Things I learned about pizza today... (I'd never made a pizza completely from scratch before)

A little dough goes a long way... I have about 2 lbs of dough left over, anyone need some? I think this week will be calzone/stromboli/flatbread/pizza week.
A little cheese goes a long way...
When baking, there's a reason that the cheese is always carmelized on top, if it's not, the dough isn't done... Fortunately, mine was done, but not crisp like it should be.

What I didn't learn today...
why homemade tomato/marinara sauce insists on being that ugly orange color. Anyone know a way to make it red without dyeing it or altering the flavor in a major way?

So here they are, the test pizzas, one normal and one pan w/ mozzarella and asiago cheeses:

First Pizza 2.jpg

Things I learned about pizza today... (I'd never made a pizza completely from scratch before)

A little dough goes a long way... I have about 2 lbs of dough left over, anyone need some? I think this week will be calzone/stromboli/flatbread/pizza week.
A little cheese goes a long way...
When baking, there's a reason that the cheese is always carmelized on top, if it's not, the dough isn't done... Fortunately, mine was done, but not crisp like it should be.

What I didn't learn today...
why homemade tomato/marinara sauce insists on being that ugly orange color. Anyone know a way to make it red without dyeing it or altering the flavor in a major way?

So here they are, the test pizzas, one normal and one pan w/ mozzarella and asiago cheeses:

View attachment 10086

They look good. :)

Use a pizza stone. A normal oven will almost never get the crust crispy enough, preheat it first. You'll find your pizzas cook more evenly as well.

How did you make your sauce? Mine is always red...

They look good. :)

Use a pizza stone. A normal oven will almost never get the crust crispy enough, preheat it first. You'll find your pizzas cook more evenly as well.

How did you make your sauce? Mine is always red...

I use a pizza stone, I just didn't leave them in long enough.

Sauce:
Tomatoes (roma), peeled and seeded, with basil, garlic, oregano, olive oil, red wine and whatever other herbs and spices I feel like adding. saute everything except tomatoes. Puree all of it in the blender until smooth, bring to a boil and reduce to simmer for a couple of hours to get to the consistency I want. Final seasoning with salt pepper onion powder and garlic powder.

I use a pizza stone, I just didn't leave them in long enough.

Sauce:
Tomatoes (roma), peeled and seeded, with basil, garlic, oregano, olive oil, red wine and whatever other herbs and spices I feel like adding. saute everything except tomatoes. Puree all of it in the blender until smooth, bring to a boil and reduce to simmer for a couple of hours to get to the consistency I want. Final seasoning with salt pepper onion powder and garlic powder.

Not hot enough. I find with pizza on a stone or not, you want the oven as hot as you can get it.

Not hot enough. I find with pizza on a stone or not, you want the oven as hot as you can get it.

I have to agree... our favorite semi local winery has a stone/brick pizza oven... they let it preheat for 4 hours prior to cooking, and they want 450-500 for their pizza to turn out right.

I'm not a cook but I BROIL mine at the end, 2-3 minutes tops....that in my opinion is what gives Pizza that unique taste/smell!

You have to watch it because the difference between perfect and burnt is about 3 seconds and you will never hear the end of it as your kids tell you "you burn everything dad" but that never happend to me....O_o:wall:

I'm not a cook but I BROIL mine at the end, 2-3 minutes tops....that in my opinion is what gives Pizza that unique taste/smell!

You have to watch it because the difference between perfect and burnt is about 3 seconds and you will never hear the end of it as your kids tell you "you burn everything dad" but that never happend to me....O_o:wall:

That's cool, it will brown the cheese but really doesn't do anything for the crust.

Sauce:

That sounds normal enough, not really sure why it turns orange. Maybe too much air when you blend? I use the San Marzano whole tomatoes in a can and crush the tomatoes with my hand. I cook it quickly. on low for maybe an hour tops. In my family (Sicilian) marinara is the quick sauce and full blown gravy is what simmers for 3-4 hours.

Time to bring this thread back to the front! :D

So I didn't feel like fighting my way through the madhouse at the grocery store. I mean seriously folks! They were fighting over the last bag of premade salad greens. People in Atlanta just don't get the weather...anyhow, I went foraging in the fridge and found some stuff and this is the result. I give you something in between Shepherd's Pie and a Beef Pot Pie. I shall call it Shepherd's Pot Pie...

Shepherd1.jpg

Serves 6-8

4 oz (2) Carrots, 1/4" dice
16 oz (2) medium Russet Potato (or other mealy potato), 1/4" dice for fast cooking
4 oz milk
2 oz (2 stalks, green part only) celery, 1/8" slices
8 oz (2 small or 1 medium) white onion, 1/4" dice
1/2 oz Garlic, minced
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1 lb Ground Beef
2 Puff Pastry Sheet (thawed)
16 oz Beef Stock, heated
10.5 oz (1 bottle) Guiness, room temperature
1 Tbsp Basil, Fresh, Chopped or Chiffonade
Salt and Pepper
Olive Oil for saute (about 1-2 oz is more than enough)

Cook the potatoes in enough boiling water to cover them, about 15 minutes. They should be soft enough to mash. If you use beef stock instead of water, the flavor will be better. When done cooking, add the milk (or substitute half and half for richer potatoes) and use a hand blender to whip them into mashed potatoes. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.

Preheat the oven to 375 F

Place the puff pastry sheets in two 9" pie tins, you may need to roll them out once to get them wide enough. Use a fork to pierce the bottom to allow steam to escape. Trim the pastry leaving an overhang of 1/2" past the lip of the tins. Cover with parchment paper and place pie weights or dried beans on the parchment to keep the pastry from bubbling. You can also use another pie tin, but if it's too snug it will defeat the purpose. Par bake the pastry for about 10 minutes until the pastry puffs up, but hasn't browned yet. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Lower the oven temp to 350 F

Heat the oil in a heavy skillet at medium-medium high heat until ripples appear. Add the carrot and celery and sweat for about 3 minutes, add the onion and garlic. Sweat until the onions start to turn translucent. Turn the heat to medium high almost all the way up and add the ground beef. Cook until the beef no longer has any visible red spots (pink is OK). Drain the excess fat from the pan. Deglaze the pan with all of the guiness. Bring it to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Continue to cook stirring regularly until the guiness is nearly gone, about 15 minutes. Add the beef stock to the mix and bring back to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook until the liquid has reduced by half, about 20 minutes. Season to taste with Salt, Pepper and Onion Powder.

Use a slotted spoon to remove the beef from the pan, allowing it to drain through the slots back into the pan. Place the beef into the two pastries, divided evenly and top with mashed potatoes, spreading the potatoes to the rim of the pastry. Bake 15 minutes until potatoes are beginning to dry at the edges and the edge of the pastry is golden brown.

Meanwhile continue to simmer the sauce in the pan until it reaches the desired consistency. Strain and hold the sauce over low heat.

When the pies are done baking, finish the sauce with a little butter (just a pat will do), cut the pies to the desired size pieces and place on the plate. Drizzle with the sauce and sprinkle the basil on top.

*Note, I would have added green peas, but I didn't have any on hand. about 2oz should be right

Shepherd2.jpg

Back