FOOD THREAD 1

From Texas monthly, but it is good if you want to do the whole deal. I didn't get to go this year ,so none for me. Also smoking like a turkey or chicken is awesome. Substitute 6 green onions with diced green chilies, if you can get them fresh great! The canned works if you like more of a southwestern flair.

Recipes from Texas Home Cooking by Cheryl and Bill Jamison.

Savory Roast Pheasant
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon each Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce,
salt, and black pepper
2 pheasants

Prep pheasants the night before cooking. In food processor mix butter, garlic, and seasonings. Carefully loosen pheasants’ skin with fingers. Rub birds inside and out with butter mixture, especially under breast skin. Place in large plastic bag and refrigerate overnight. Let warm to room temperature an hour before cooking.

Garlicky Sausage Jambalaya Dressing
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 pound andouille sausage
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 celery sticks, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon each dry mustard, filé powder,
black pepper, and white pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
2 1/3 cups chicken stock
2 cups canned diced tomatoes
(and extra tomato sauce to taste, if desired)
1 cup uncooked rice
6 green onions, sliced
1/2 cup unsalted chicken stock

While pheasants warm up, grease large baking dish. Warm oil in large skillet over medium heat. Remove andouille from casing, crumble, and brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer to baking dish.

Reduce heat to medium low and sauté remaining ingredients except last 5 about 10 minutes. Pour in stock and tomatoes and bring to boil. (At this point, preheat oven to 375 degrees.) Add rice, cover, and simmer about 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Stir in green onions.

Spoon rice mixture into baking dish, mixing with andouille. Cover and set aside. Place pheasants on greased rack in uncovered roasting pan. Cook breastside down for 15 minutes. Turn breastside up and cook 40 to 45 more minutes, basting frequently with unsalted stock and some of the pan juices. Place covered rice dish in oven with pheasants for the last 15 to 20 minutes to heat.

When pheasants are done, place under a foil tent for 10 minutes before carving. Serves 4 to 5.

Big Al's Killer Hot Ham & Swiss Hoagie--

Make a spread, half dijon mustard, half butter, in a mixing bowl. Put in chopped onion & a healthy dash of Worstershire. Stir it up. Split a loaf of french bread to make two halves. Spread the mix on both halves. On bottom half, pile on thin-sliced deli glazed ham, top with swiss cheese. Put the top half on, wrapped it in aluminum foil and put it in a pre-heated oven for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.

Big Al's Killer Hot Ham & Swiss Hoagie--

Make a spread, half dijon mustard, half butter, in a mixing bowl. Put in chopped onion & a healthy dash of Worstershire. Stir it up. Split a loaf of french bread to make two halves. Spread the mix on both halves. On bottom half, pile on thin-sliced deli glazed ham, top with swiss cheese. Put the top half on, wrapped it in aluminum foil and put it in a pre-heated oven for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.

Points for saying "hoagie" and not "sub". You must be from Philly! And I need to try that sauce thing. Prolly banging on chicken and burgers also...

M.

Points for saying "hoagie" and not "sub". You must be from Philly! And I need to try that sauce thing. Prolly banging on chicken and burgers also...

M.

I never tried the spread on anything else but it prolly be bangin. My kids beg me to make those things. Not Philly, but I have bros from there. :thumbsup:

Thai Jungle Curry

Meat and Veg

1100g chicken breast cubed or 1000g beef schnitzel chopped and seared before going into the oven
500g eggplant cubed
1 big handful cherry tomatoes
chopped coriander and basil for topping

Sauce

2 tins coconut milk (270 ml cans)
1 1/2 red onions choppped up pretty fine
2 desert spoons ginger paste or two thumb sized pieces of ginger chopped up
1 Tbsp ground pepper
6 Tbsp of finely sliced lemon grass
12 cloves garlic or 12 tsp of the garlic in the jar
12 kafir lime leaves
2 Tbsp chilli powder (3 if you like some actual flavor)
1 red chilli chopped up finely
1 red capsicum seeded and chopped
4 Tbsp lime juice
2 cubes of chicken stock or beef stock (depending on the meat you use)
6 Tbsp of fish sauce
2 Tbsp of palm sugar or brown sugar if you have no palm

Heat oven to 150 celcius

Mix all the sauce ingredients into a food processor or juicer and let rip, sear your chopped schnitzel if you are going with beef. Mix the meat and the sauce together into a casserole dish and bake it covered for 45 minutes, I put the rice on at 40 minutes now and use the absorption method. For 4 people I put 3 3/4 cups of water on the boil and then leave it to simmer covered. Place in 1 1/2 cups of rice and let it simmer for 20 minutes, give it a stir and then leave it to sit on the bench for 5 minutes. Place the veges in the casserole dish, give it a good stir and then let it bake covered for 15 minutes, check your meat is cooked, chicken may need another 10 minutes and then put some rice in a bowl, cover with meat and be generous with the sauce, top with some finely chopped basil and coriander.

I cant remember ever seeing a coconut tree in the J in Thailand let alone finding half those ingredients but its tasty, if your feeding soft cocks just use 1 Tbsp of chilli powder.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
English measurement version

Thai Jungle Curry

Meat and Veg

~2.25 lb chicken breast cubed or ~2 lb beef schnitzel chopped and seared before going into the oven
~1 lb eggplant cubed
1 big handful cheery tomatoes
chopped coriander and basil for topping

Sauce

2 tins coconut milk (10 oz cans)
1 1/2 red onions choppped up pretty fine
2 desert spoons ginger paste or two thumb sized pieces of ginger chopped up
1 Tbsp ground pepper
6 Tbsp of finely sliced lemon grass
12 cloves garlic or 12 tsp of the garlic in the jar
12 kafir lime leaves (also known as makrut lime or in French citron ride)
2 Tbsp chilli powder (3 if you like some actual flavor)
1 red chilli chopped up finely
1 red capsicum seeded and chopped (red bell pepper)
4 Tbsp lime juice
2 cubes of chicken stock or beef stock (depending on the meat you use) ("Better than Boullion" works very well)
6 Tbsp of fish sauce
2 Tbsp of palm sugar or brown sugar if you have no palm

Heat oven to 300* F

Mix all the sauce ingredients into a food processor or juicer and let rip, sear your chopped schnitzel if you are going with beef. Mix the meat and the sauce together into a casserole dish and bake it covered for 45 minutes, I put the rice on at 40 minutes now and use the absorption method. For 4 people I put 3 3/4 cups of water on the boil and then leave it to simmer covered. Place in 1 1/2 cups of rice and let it simmer for 20 minutes, give it a stir and then live it to sit on the bench for 5 minutes. Place the veges in the casserole dish, give it a good stir and then let it bake covered for 15 minutes, check your meat is cooked, chicken may need another 10 minutes and then put some rice in a bowl, cover with meat and be generous with the sauce, top with some finely chopped basil and coriander.

I cant remember ever seeing a coconut tree in the J in Thailand let alone finding half those ingredients but its tasty, if your feeding soft cocks just use 1 Tbsp of chilli powder.

Mac, just because most people can't do the conversions in their head and some of the ingredients need explanation. Sounds really good.

jN2X8pY.png

Look at me mum, I'm the only one that got it right.

Thanks for the map just to give another reason not to use the metric system.... Penguins in Antarctica don't use it either, and penguins are awesome.

English Troll measurement version

1 big handful cheery tomatoes (What type of music do you suggest to life their spirits before I cook them?)

2 desert spoons ginger paste or two thumb sized pieces of ginger chopped up (Sweet, I live in the desert so I'm good).

Mac, just because most people can't do the conversions in their head and some of the ingredients need explanation. Sounds really good.

Sorry, it gave me too good of a giggle to pass up.:-"

jN2X8pY.png

Look at me mum, I'm the only one that got it right.

Well, at least we are not alone. The entire continent, Antartcia is also resisting the metric system push :rolleyes::D:-/:-". And, we are not going to drive on the wrong side of the road like all the other metric heads :hmm::D:-".

Back