FOOD THREAD 1

Dont knock it until you try it. The guys concocted a "pad thai" burger with that stuff, cilantro and sprouts. (yes they put sprouts on it.

So I've been wanting a good Cuban sandwich for a while now. Atlanta doesn't have anything like what we had down in Ybor City in Tampa so...

Take a boneless pork shoulder. If you can't find shoulder, a loin will work as well. coat it in kosher salt, black pepper, sprinkle on some cumin and oregano. If you can't smell the cumin you didn't use enough. Tie it up with kitchen twine so it doesn't fall apart on you.
Put it in an Instant Pot with some olive oil on the bottom
enough orange juice to go halfway up the pork. Use regular oranges, not the sweet varieties
enough lime juice to get to 3/4 up the pork (the orange to lime juice ratio should be 3:1)
slice an onion and throw it around the sides
two tablespoons of minced garlic or 4 cloves into the juice
about a tsp of dried red peppers (the kind you use on pizza) into the juice.
add enough chicken stock to cover the roast.
Cover it and use the meat/stew setting on high for 25 minutes per pound of pork. You need the internal temperature to get to 145, but you can't measure it in a pressure cooker without releasing the pressure. Err on the side of safety The pork should be extremely tender when you stick a fork in it, almost to the point of falling apart.

Once the pork finishes cooking, vent the pressure and uncover the pot. Let the pork cool a bit while sitting in the juices.

the rest is easy...
layers in a Cuban are:
bread bottom - use Cuban bread...duh!
swiss cheese
ham (deli ham is acceptable)
salt and pepper
pork
bread and butter pickles
swiss cheese
Dijon mustard
bread top

When you're assembling it, it should look like this:

Stick it together

Cut it into portions

Brush both sides of the roll with melted butter
If you have a Sandwich press, use it to flatten and grill the Cuban (400 degrees on top and bottom is perfect)
If you don't have a sandwich press, you can use a grill pan or a skillet for the bottom side
Take a brick and wrap it in foil
Take another pan and set on top of the sandwich while grilling the bottom. Put the brick in the top pan
Press down, you want the Cuban to come out nice and flat... The outside should be crispy and the inside a bit on the chewy side.

Enjoy!

I fucking love a good Cubano. I've used a similar recipe except with rum and without the peppers- I might have to try the peppers soon. Also, I leave it to marinade for a day or two.

I fucking love a good Cubano. I've used a similar recipe except with rum and without the peppers- I might have to try the peppers soon. Also, I leave it to marinade for a day or two.

The pressure cooker makes the marinade unnecessary, just throw it in the pot, you won't tell the difference and you'll save yourself a couple of days of waiting.

The pressure cooker makes the marinade unnecessary, just throw it in the pot, you won't tell the difference and you'll save yourself a couple of days of waiting.

Interesting! I do a lot of cooking but I've never used a pressure cooker; they're not really that popular here. I might look into one in a few months.

A day before, marinate the meat in white wine: beef (or scotch fillet), pork skin rolled with a garlic & parsley mix & bouquet Garni of thyme & parsley stalks.
Prepare Maryland cuts of duck & prep in a confit of duck fat also the day before. (No pic of the confit as it’s not too interesting).
View attachment 26638
White wine?

Anyone have some recipes they swear by with for nuking a cold/flu? I'm not kidding this needs to treat what I have like Sherman's March to The Sea treated Georgia.

The only stipulation is that I only have an instant pot to really cook with as my stove is out of commission currently.

@SpongeBob*24 you convinced me, I dont have a hot toddy but making some chicken noodle.

Step 1: Get the mirepoix ready, here I did a "rustic" chop (read lazy) and play some accompanying music. Also drink Sprite and Alka Seltzer and wonder why God is punishing you with the secret 11th plague.

Side note I'm open to knife suggestions, while cheap my $10 one from Walmart is wearing out its use.

Attachments

• 20190316_205331.jpg
    20190316_205331.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7
Step 2: after sauteing the veggies, put in your water and chicken breast as well as seasonings. I didn't use any bouillon partly because I didn't have any and cooking everything from the the start together should make a pretty nice stock as is. While I went a little unorthodox and put in some cayenne and powdered ginger, I wanted a little more oomph to mine. I still put in the classic celery seed, garlic powder and black pepper. I'll season more as it cooks if it needs it.

Now I get to wait forever.

Attachments

• 20190316_211319.jpg
    20190316_211319.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20190316_212402.jpg
    20190316_212402.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
Side note I'm open to knife suggestions, while cheap my $10 one from Walmart is wearing out its use.

If you don't mind spending around $50-$80 for a good knife, I'd recommend picking up a cheaper Wusthof chef's knife or a Dalstrong Santoku (I use both at work).
If you want something cheaper, Zuhn Rikon makes decent knives for around $20-$30.

I don't have pictures of the finished product but it smells very good, I added a lot of egg noodles (any other noodle is sacrilege) and had to re-season the broth a little more, it was good but the spices I added dulled down with the pressure cooking. Was pretty amazing how the chicken was literally falling apart as I pulled it out even the cartilage had started to cook down yet the chicken was still incredibly juicy and tender. All in all I'm thoroughly impressed with the instant pot.

I just wish I had some nice thick bread to go with it. Now time to eat a bowl and load up on a ton of nyquil and pass out. Thanks @SpongeBob @Cookie_

Attachments

• 20190316_223955.jpg
    20190316_223955.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
Back