FOOD THREAD 1

Not for dinner so much as an appetizer. Easter dinner consisted of the usual dishes. This cedar plank salmon fillet with garlic rosemary butter cooked on the big green Egg was a hit.

easter%20salmon%20bge.jpg

easter%20salmon%202.jpg

easter%20salmon.jpg

We typically have ribeye steaks grilled on the BGE at least once a week. This was the latest; nothing special... it's good, but not special.

ribeye and salad (2).jpg

Leftover ribeye steak sliced thin and sauteed with onions and white queso, topped with melty pepper jack and served on a toasted croissant. Lunch was AWESOME! Now that was special... simple, but special. ;)

ribeye croissant.jpg

The Food Thread inspired me, and I made a cheeseburger this afternoon. I put it on an onion roll. The patty was from from Publix and had bacon and cheddar in it, and I cooked it in a frying pan. I used up vegetables, and ate it off the cutting board because I had a feeling it was going to all fall apart. It did. It started falling apart between the pan and the bun. But it tasted good, I learned a new thing, and I'm not hungry. Next time I'm going to make the patty myself and see if it falls apart, too.

IMG_20200416_174305779.jpg

I’ve found that keeping a box of blue disposable “shop towels” in the kitchen is the way to go when it comes to wiping down cast iron pans. Unlike regular paper towels, shop towels do not leave any type of lint residue.
One more random tip regarding Cast Iron.

With the snow gone and the gas grill out, it is time for me to season my cast iron pans again. I do it a few times a year on the grill so I can get them HOT, oiled and smoky without stinking up the house.

I made meatballs and mushrooms. I used to actually cook, however, this is not that. The meatballs I bought prepared, and baked. For the mushrooms, I used olive oil, salt and pepper and baked at 375 for the last 10 minutes with the meatballs. It looks like this meal is halfway prepared, but I'm going to eat it like this with a fork because, why not. IMG_20200428_224446701.jpg

We had been trying to keep our favorite local Chinese restaurant open by ordering often and encouraging others to do the same. They ended up closing "until further notice" anyway. Sooooo....

Better Than Takeout General Tso Chicken to the rescue. My kids LOVE this, even when I use more peppers than it calls for.

gen%20tso%20chicken.jpg

gen%20tso%20chicken%202.jpg

gen%20tso%20chicken%203.jpg

I used all but a small amount of our black vinegar though... about to go order more.

Back