GoRuck Challenge

This might interest some Central Texas guys, looking to do something in the vein of GoRuck. Atomic Athlete (MA affiliate) in Austin also helped train up for the GoRuck in Austin, and now they're doing a "Night Ops" challenge themselves, for $50 per person. I'm pretty sure one of the coaches was SOF. Anyways, It looked interesting and I thought it was worth a share.

http://www.atomicathleteaustin.com/page.php?page_ID=74

Signing up for the October 13th GRC in Atlanta! I'm hoping to get some guys from Crossfit to go. I just saw the "Go Ruck Selection". 48+hrs of awesomeness. There is on in D.C. during December, and one in FL during January. Definitely gotta do this!

Nice ASU!

And Jay - I saw Selection as well, looks great. They also have Go Ruck Trek which is like a type of tradecraft challenge where you do missions and have to evade the cadre. It's longer and more $$

Nice ASU!

And Jay - I saw Selection as well, looks great. They also have Go Ruck Trek which is like a type of tradecraft challenge where you do missions and have to evade the cadre. It's longer and more $$

I'm actually preparing for RASP now and hoping to get on to be a medic, so I'm working on the 8 week selection prep from military athlete specific ruck-based selection. So I'm hoping to kick some ass on the Go Ruck in October and go to the Selection in Fl. next January. I probably won't leave until Feb. or March, so plenty of time to get these in. I haven't looked into the Trek one yet, I'll check it out! Very excited about all of this.

I'm actually preparing for RASP now and hoping to get on to be a medic, so I'm working on the 8 week selection prep from military athlete specific ruck-based selection. So I'm hoping to kick some ass on the Go Ruck in October and go to the Selection in Fl. next January. I probably won't leave until Feb. or March, so plenty of time to get these in. I haven't looked into the Trek one yet, I'll check it out! Very excited about all of this.

MA also has a Ranger School prep program that you may be interested in. I know RS and RASP are different, but the goals of the program may fit better for RASP than the program designed for an SF Selection.

MA also has a Ranger School prep program that you may be interested in. I know RS and RASP are different, but the goals of the program may fit better for RASP than the program designed for an SF Selection.

Thanks! I saw it as well, I've got a while so I'm doing different programs in cycles while supplementing with Crossfit and runs/swims/pt. I plan to do the RS prep before leaving for OSUT. I definitely appreciate the advice though :thumbsup:

Good Livin’…

The Good: Our team managed to come together quickly. The first hour or so sucked – which is unavoidable… the duration may change, but the suck will be the suck… But communication and teamwork were established pretty quickly, which helped significantly throughout the night; a lot of the self inflicted pain that could have been didn’t materialize.
We didn’t really have anyone dragging the team down on much of anything – obviously there was some variation, and at times, a few folks needed a boost in one area or another, but there wasn’t a huge disparity.
Weather also held out – it was about 70 deg and cloudy but clear with good illum – I was glad to have the headlamp, but only really used it for about 5 minutes. Really could not have asked for better weather for this.

The Bad: One water crossing. The crossing was planned… the fact that it was filled with some kind of godawful sludge was not. I seriously wonder if I have now swam in human waste… I threw out the clothes I was wearing, and am still trying to get the smell out of the shoes, insoles, and ruck.

Comments on the GR1: Definitely solidly built, and carried the load well. I packed mine three-across, two high, and that worked pretty well for the weight distribution. The only thing that I would change is adding a waist belt – by about 1/3 to ½ way through, my traps had completely handed the job of supporting my shoulders off to my back, and both were killing me. It wasn’t a show-stopper, but the ability to transfer some of the weight directly to the waist would definitely have helped.
The pack also worked well for organization – the ability to open flat made everything accessible, and even though part of the concept was minimalist pocket design, there was enough there to pack in rapidly accessible items.

Recommendations:
- Bring a good set of gloves. My palms were torn the fuck open through a decent set of mechanics gloves.
- Waterproof the shit out of everything. I saw water on the Buffalo event page, and bagged anything other than bricks that went into my pack. I was very glad I decided to do so. If it’s electronic, double bag. I don’t know if there’s 100% chance of water at all events… we got wet several times.
- If your schedule allows, go on a Friday – I’m very glad I had both weekend days to recover.
-

Thanks for all the tips. I will use all that I can for the November 10th one here at Fort Bragg. I am very excited to get out there and see what it is all about. Is anyone else planning on doing this event?

Just completed my first GRC in Pittsburgh (led by Cadre Dan). Many thanks to dknob for starting this thread, which ultimately convinced me to sign up.

Won't go into the details of the challenge since that's part of the fun, but here's what worked for me:
1). started strength training in early Feb 2012, beginning with Wendler 5/3/1, and moving onto Etype's Westside style training
2). followed dknob's lunges workout
3). sprayed my feet with anti-perspirant spray just prior to the event. I also brought socks treated with foot powder, that I could change out during the breaks. Not sure if this would work for everyone, but I completed the challenge with zero blisters.

Additionally, get use to rucking with weight, and work on grip strength. Wear compression shorts as chafing can happen, and if it does, the suck factor will increase exponentially.

Also, Totentaz had some really good recommendations regarding gloves and waterproofing. I went on Saturday and my body's still recovering.

I am doing this challenge in Clarksville, TN on Oct. 27. GR packs are fucking expensive so I just went to the local US Cav store and bought a pack there for 90 bucks. Stoked, but nervous at the same time. I recently injured my arm, so I am hoping I am all healed up in time for the challenge.

Earned my GRT patch! Can't wait to do it again in 2013! Also look forward to Scavenger in Nashville later in '13 as well! Pics to come.
Congrats! I'm looking to do the GRC in Tel Aviv this April if my scholarship will give me permission to travel outside Jordan. How did your pack hold up? Looking forward to the pics!

The pack was okay, but I think I will go for smaller next time, because I really didn't need half the shit I brought and it was too top heavy when we did bear crawls. Really, I was just jealous of the guys with the goruck packs. Those things look so... ergonomic.

The pack was okay, but I think I will go for smaller next time, because I really didn't need half the shit I brought and it was too top heavy when we did bear crawls. Really, I was just jealous of the guys with the goruck packs. Those things look so... ergonomic.

What did you take with you? And you're right - you really don't need much more than what's on the list.

well not much, but extra changes of clothes that ended up getting soaked when the cadre put us in the river up to our necks, despite the plastic bags. We never had enough time to even change anyway even if they were dry. Also, I will bring beer beforehand next time, because I ended up buy a couple of 12 packs of beer that I don't really care for. At least beforehand I would get the option to choose the good stuff ;)

Back