Guess SCAR is a done deal.

What was the twist rate of the gun? My understanding is the 1:9 twist works best with the heavier bullets and manufacturers are making the m4 with 1:9 twist, at least for the civi markets. I have heard good things about the 77g out of the M4 length guns, but I don't have any data on it. Will have look around.

I know that the Mk18 shorty is an LMT with a 1:7 twist. In fact I don't think LMT manufactures anything but a 1:7 in anything 16" and under.

I don't want to use a submachine gun I want a rifle, 10.5 inches just doesnt give me confidence.

Also I like bayonets and I want the prick on the other end as far away from me as possible if I were ever to get the chance to stick him.

The SEALs are using the CQBR Mk18 rifle with the 10.5" barrel for VBSS employment. Tight qtr's on ships hulls and door way's.

The SEALs are using the CQBR Mk18 rifle with the 10.5" barrel for VBSS employment. Tight qtr's on ships hulls and door way's.

Ah right, totally different story, short barrel totally appropriate and necessary.

I'm thinking Inf fighting in urban/mountainous terrain, still need the reach and as has been shown the short barrels just don't allow the velocity to break the bullet up upon impact.

Yeah, my C8 had a 1:7 twist, and it sent 77 grain out fine. We used them on the 11.5 inch barrels too.
This is mine from A-Stan:

Attachments

• Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 105
What was the twist rate of the gun? My understanding is the 1:9 twist works best with the heavier bullets and manufacturers are making the m4 with 1:9 twist, at least for the civi markets. I have heard good things about the 77g out of the M4 length guns, but I don't have any data on it. Will have look around.

Trying to determine the twist ratio to ammo type is based of three things.

1. Barrel LANs and groove twist.

2. Bullet weight.

3. Speed of the bullet.

Fast twist = Heaver bullet. Slow twist = Lighter bullet.

The 1 in 9 twist was introduced for civilian market, due to it ability to handle multiple types of bullet weight and bullet punch. The 1 in 7 twist is used by Military market, due to the type of ammo used in the Military. M855(green tip) & M856(tracer) is the changes made in the mid 80’s due to the army wanting longer range and ability to punch thru light armor. The 1 in 7 twist was based on the M856 tracer round, due to a slower rate would not stabilize the bullet in flight. All though the M855 and MK262 Mod1 has better performance with a 1 in 8 twist ratio. The M856 can not stabilize in flight with a 1 in 8, or 1in 9 twist ratio. This is why the military uses a faster twist rate on military weapons. If you look at National Match rifles, you will see a 1 in 7 ¾” to 1 in 8” twist rate. Because the National Match loads, receive better accuracy from these twist rates. 77gr and 80gr…

Trying to determine the twist ratio to ammo type is based of three things.

1. Barrel LANs and groove twist.

2. Bullet weight.

3. Speed of the bullet.

Fast twist = Heaver bullet. Slow twist = Lighter bullet.

The 1 in 9 twist was introduced for civilian market, due to it ability to handle multiple types of bullet weight and bullet punch. The 1 in 7 twist is used by Military market, due to the type of ammo used in the Military. M855(green tip) & M856(tracer) is the changes made in the mid 80’s due to the army wanting longer range and ability to punch thru light armor. The 1 in 7 twist was based on the M856 tracer round, due to a slower rate would not stabilize the bullet in flight. All though the M855 and MK262 Mod1 has better performance with a 1 in 8 twist ratio. The M856 can not stabilize in flight with a 1 in 8, or 1in 9 twist ratio. This is why the military uses a faster twist rate on military weapons. If you look at National Match rifles, you will see a 1 in 7 ¾” to 1 in 8” twist rate. Because the National Match loads, receive better accuracy from these twist rates. 77gr and 80gr…

That's why I was wondering if they were using heavier bullets in some applications (eg, Seals using 77g Black Hills) did they also match them to a faster twist rate. Looks like the answer is no. Do we know if those shorty ARs the Seals have built also follow the standard 1:7?

That's why I was wondering if they were using heavier bullets in some applications (eg, Seals using 77g Black Hills) did they also match them to a faster twist rate. Looks like the answer is no. Do we know if those shorty ARs the Seals have built also follow the standard 1:7?

If it's shooting a 77gr bullet and it's a military rifle. It will have a twist of 1 in 7. Some custom rifles like the SDMR will have a 1 in 8 twist.

Also I like bayonets and I want the prick on the other end as far away from me as possible if I were ever to get the chance to stick him.

yep. I think I'm the only medic in 3rd div asking MPs to issue bayonets when we go door-kicking.

I would totally disagree.. regardless of the round, you stand a larger chance of impacting a bone and causing significant trauma due to the secondary fragmentation induced into the wound channel and surrounding tissue. Not to mention the fact that there's a lot of significant organs there that are rather important for everything in your body to function... l

A extremity wound is easier to care for and deal with, and significantly more survivable than a round taken to the chest cavity (navel to neck, basically)

yessir. and that's why we wear plates over our chest and not our heads. that, and the torso is a bigger target and easier to hit than the head.

Thats what I originally thought too, maybe the medics were bullshitting me.

yes. or they didn't know, which isn't good either.

The biggest problem with bayonets is often they've been shitty knives, they need to be a good quality knife.
e.g. a K Bar with a bayonet attachment, two weapons/tools in one.

MacDILL AIR FORCE BASE, Florida (CNN) -- No piece of equipment is more crucial to a soldier in the field than his rifle. And America's most elite troops are about to get a new series of rifles designed for their unique and dangerous missions.
art.specialforces.cnn.jpg

CNN was given an exclusive look at two new rifles for an elite group of U.S. troops.

corner_wire_BL.gif

"The difference is, I'm gonna have a weapon that's gonna fit the situation," an Army Ranger staff sergeant said.
Special Operations Command (SOCOM) is about to start training its SEALs, Green Berets and other Special Operations troops in the use of Mark 16 and Mark 17 rifles.
Within a year, the new rifles should be in action against terrorists and insurgents in Iraq, Afghanistan and hot spots the public may never hear about.
The usually secretive SOCOM gave CNN an exclusive chance to see and even fire the new weapon recently at its headquarters near Tampa, Florida.
video.gif
Watch a preview of the new weapons »
The contractors working with SOCOM to develop the weapon say it is more versatile and more accurate, jams less and lasts longer than the current rifle used by many Special Operations troops, the M-4.
The Mark 16 (Mk16) fires a 5.56 mm round, the same size used for decades in M-16s and M-4s. The Mk17 fires a larger 7.62 mm round that is used in some U.S. military machine guns, but it's not the same round as in the AK-47, the world's most widely used assault rifle.
Both of the new rifles are designed to kill regardless of the situation.
"Whether that's a soft target, a guy without body armor, or whether that's an enemy force within a vehicle that you need to shoot through a window or the side of the vehicle and you want to ensure that round is not deflected," said Tucker Campion, a retired Navy SEAL who now is a civilian contractor working on the new rifles. "We want a round that, when it hits the enemy soldier, provides the maximum amount of damage."
Even though they fire different-size bullets, each rifle is largely interchangeable with the other. By changing only a few parts, including the bolt and the barrel, a soldier can switch from a gun that fires the lighter 5.56 mm round to one that shoots the heavier 7.62 mm round in a matter of minutes.
That's just one example of the rifle's versatility. Each gun comes with three interchangeable barrels, and each gives the troops a specific advantage.
"If you were going to clear an urban environment, buildings, rooms, you'd probably throw the short barrel on there," the staff sergeant said.
CNN is honoring the Ranger's request not to identify him, because in battle, anonymity is crucial for Special Operations troops.
"If you're in Afghanistan and you're walking in the mountains and the hills and all that, and your distance is going to be a lot greater to the enemy, and you're probably going to want to throw the longer barrel on there so you get that extra reach," the Ranger said.
Even though the rifles fire the same bullets as existing weapons, they are designed to be much more accurate.
"If you look at a current inventory assault rifle, you get 350 to 400 meters," Campion said of their range of accuracy. "Put a long barrel in (the new rifle), and now you're at 6 to 7 (hundred meters). So we're extending the standoff between us and the enemy." A longer standoff means an American can shoot an enemy soldier from farther away; thus, the American is safer.
One of the main goals was to design a gun that lasts longer. Campion says the M-4 is designed to fire 6,000 rounds over five years. But the Mk16 and Mk17 were designed for Special Operations, who are likely to fire 6,000 rounds in less than one year. The new rifles are designed to handle the greater rate of use and last twice as long.
The design changes that make the Mk16 and Mk17 last longer also make them more reliable. Nothing is worse for a GI in battle than for his rifle to jam at the wrong moment, but it happens with all kinds of guns. These new rifles are designed to reduce those jamming problems as much as possible. The new rifle also comes in a Mk13 model, which includes a grenade launcher mounted below the barrel.

To those who will use the rifles in the field, what they need first and foremost from the new weapons is success.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/28/assault.rifle/index.html

Video of weapons being fired:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/28/assault.rifle/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

I have a question about the bullet tumbling. I shot comp small bore for a small period of time, and from what I understand and I could be wrong the bullet tumbling came from when the bullet went from above the speed of sound to below the speed of sound and the air around the bullet warabled and caused the bullet to tumble. Am I right?:confused:

Back