I am that Man/Act of Valor/SOF replace actors

I find it ridiculous that the SEAL Captain goes out of his way to have hollywood portray SEALs in the proper manner yet he signs on to help the Bandito brothers shoot a movie about stopping a Chechen jihadist from infiltrating his suicide bombers via the Mexican border - a mission that NSW would never get.

This does not help the persistent nickname of SEALs being called Hollywood. lol

If memory serves, Captain Duncan Smith was Charlie Sheen's stunt double for the under water fight scene at the end of "Navy SEALs." Might be wrong about that.

NSW is way ahead of the ARSOF in terms of shaping the way it's viewed by the public.

US Navy has been ahead for years in taking advantage of Hollywood. Look at what Top Gun did for recruitment, same with Navy SEALs, etc etc. From what I've read the army and the air force have pretty highly restrictive erm restrictions on what movie projects they'll help with. Take Iron Eagle, that could have been a recruitment boom for them to rival Top Gun but because it dealt with the theft of aircraft they had to go to Israel for help. The navy didn't care that a bunch of SEALs got captured in The Rock, nor that an entire bloody battleship was pretty easily taken over in Under Siege.

I find it ridiculous that the SEAL Captain goes out of his way to have hollywood portray SEALs in the proper manner yet he signs on to help the Bandito brothers shoot a movie about stopping a Chechen jihadist from infiltrating his suicide bombers via the Mexican border - a mission that NSW would never get.

This does not help the persistent nickname of SEALs being called Hollywood. lol

I see why you are cranky... they didn't call you to be in it. hehehe }:-)

I worked at a base that got so involved in projects that couldn't be talked about that when the base closures came around we were closed. The Units and Bases that kept in the public eye and used publicity a lot are still open. I am guessing when budget restraints hit those units that use the press to their advantage will survive and those that don't will perish.

Iron Eagle was ghey!
Thank God the AF didn't offer any help.
AF was big in the 60's and had the movies to show it.
SOF is the current in thing, and the SEALs have better press, plus the can do a CAPEX that doesn't reveal TTP's easier then anyone else.
FWIW- I still think the early 80's Ranger Commercial was the best, had that commercial run today things would be different hollyweird wise. The SEALs also have a bigger CA footprint then anyone else so Hollyweird types will turn that way.

Dude,

Are you sure about that?

Yours in Jihad,
U. B. Laden

If memory serves, Captain Duncan Smith was Charlie Sheen's stunt double for the under water fight scene at the end of "Navy SEALs." Might be wrong about that.

NSW is way ahead of the ARSOF in terms of shaping the way it's viewed by the public.

:rolleyes:......and that would be why we are called the 'Quiet Professionals'. 'way ahead' depends on what you are looking for.

Monastic silence has it's merits and can help reduce the amount of no-hopers from attempting selection.:ninja:

I don't think having active duty guys play in a fictional movie is way ahead. I could see if it was a movie about a specific event that happened, and it was a way of making sure stuff was done right in the movie IOT make sure the story was told right. And with the optempo these days...how can you justify the time to do something like this??

Sounds like this might actually turn out to be a good movie.

Honestly I wish that the military and Hollywood would team up more often. Hollywood is great at making things look real, and warfighters need realistic training. I guess what I'm imagining is something along the lines of Mojave Viper with more role players (that are professional actors), better "special effects", and an AAR that shows everything that happens from the individual trigger puller up to the unit commanders. If you had all the planning, and then the execution of the mission on video you could literally see where you mistakes where. I would be nice to be able to say- "Hey sir, you see right here where you decided to go to chow instead of making a decision. That screwed us." I'm sure we've all had situations like that...

I would really like to see some training videos about all the weird things that happen when your getting shot at. A good video showing tunnel vision, and auditory exclusion, and slow motion time and all the other things that happen. I'd like to be able to show something like that to my Marines, and personally I would feel better prepared if I could watch a video like that every so often.

it's past my allowed time to edit.
I like the comment about media encouraging No-Hopers to attend selection. No doubt this is true, but from a different perspective... you get a bunch of No-Hopers to attend selection, fail then go into whatever job you need them in in your regular force. It's a pretty clever tool to fill those jobs that no one wants.

it's past my allowed time to edit.
I like the comment about media encouraging No-Hopers to attend selection. No doubt this is true, but from a different perspective... you get a bunch of No-Hopers to attend selection, fail then go into whatever job you need them in in your regular force. It's a pretty clever tool to fill those jobs that no one wants.

What do you think the 18X program was seriously about? Getting guys to go to infantry that would not otherwise even join the military.

What do you think the 18X program was seriously about? Getting guys to go to infantry that would not otherwise even join the military.
Exactly. I'm sure it's the same with the SEAL challenge and Recon contracts. Except if you don't make it through BUD/S you can't even choose a semi bad ass job like infantry lol

Sounds like this might actually turn out to be a good movie.

Honestly I wish that the military and Hollywood would team up more often. Hollywood is great at making things look real, and warfighters need realistic training. I guess what I'm imagining is something along the lines of Mojave Viper with more role players (that are professional actors), better "special effects", and an AAR that shows everything that happens from the individual trigger puller up to the unit commanders. If you had all the planning, and then the execution of the mission on video you could literally see where you mistakes where. I would be nice to be able to say- "Hey sir, you see right here where you decided to go to chow instead of making a decision. That screwed us." I'm sure we've all had situations like that...

I would really like to see some training videos about all the weird things that happen when your getting shot at. A good video showing tunnel vision, and auditory exclusion, and slow motion time and all the other things that happen. I'd like to be able to show something like that to my Marines, and personally I would feel better prepared if I could watch a video like that every so often.

One small thing stops this thought process. Moolah. That kind of training costs dinero and Hollyweird couldn't/wouldn't make enough of it to justify the output of talent.

LL

Back