Last Roll Call For Car

Damn.

Chris, why'd you have to leave so early?!? Although we only met a few times, I took something away from every encounter. You were always willing to talk, listen, give, advise, and laugh. Now I look back on all those times I had a chance to link up with you and I let "something else" get in the way. I don't think you'd want any of us to look back with regret, but I can't help wishing I'd spent more time with you. You are a true leader.

Helen, I'm so sorry for your loss. The time we met at his secretary's townhouse it was very obvious how much he loved you and how much you loved him. If there is anything I can do up this way PLEASE let me know.

Semper Fidelis my brother. RIP.

Chris was a great man, a great soldier, a great friend, and a great step-dad…..etc…the list spans a few pages.

His testament to all of these is that he has friends all over the world. He is greatly respected by everyone he ever met.

This poem was written by Jorgi in Spanish. I’ve changed a few words so that it makes more sense.

When a friend passes, he leaves an empty space​
that cannot be filled with the arrival of another friend.​

When a friend passes, it is a sorrow that cannot be​
turned off.​

When a friend passes, a star is lost which illuminates​
the place where a child is sleeping.​

When a friend passes, the road stops and he can begin​
to drink in the spirit.​

When a friend passes, he creates a vast abyss that can​
only be filled by seeing him again.​

When a friend passes, all that remains is a fallen tree​
which will no longer grow because the wind has passed.​

It was amazing to watch Chris with Jorgi. Before he retired from the US Army as a CSM, his daily duties were to follow the orders of his immediate supervisor, a US Army officer.

Jorgi, being a retired 0-6 in the Argentinian Federal Police, was the closest he could get to re-living his previous career. They would talk for hours…..days….without a break. It was impressive to see Chris talking with her and to view the level of respect that he had for ‘his’ officer, even though she’s a foreign female officer. She shared a mutual respect.

Chris and I had crossed paths at no less than 4 different posts, although we never met. I started an email trail with him as a sort of bonafides when I came on shadow. We discovered that we had stayed in some of the same hotels in different countries, trained at some remote bases together, and all at the same time. We also discovered that we only lived about 5 miles from each other in Alexandria, Va. and that we worked on the same base, Ft Belvoir. We set up a lunch meet on Belvoir and became immediate friends.
From that day on we communicated almost daily and met many many times, not posted as link-ups on shadow, simply dinners/lunches between friends. Chris and I shared many problems, some resolved, some not. Those not are regretful, those that were are great memories I’ll cherish forever. The greatest resolve is that Chris found love, and a deep love that affected everyone on shadow. He found RK.

My deepest sympathies to his friends and family. His absence is felt around the world.

RIP Chris Raines.

Chris_1.jpg

Although I knew someone had passed away, I couldn't believe it when I heard who it was.

Although I didn't have the personal experience of Car that some folk had on here, from reading his posts on here it was easy to tell the kind of soldier and man that he was. It's people like him that made me determined to achieve something in my career. The world is a darker place now, one of the good ones has passed on.

My thoughts and prayers are with you RK, as well as Car's family and indeed as the posts here show, the brother's and sisters Car had on SS.

RIP SGM.

I don't think I've ever exchanged any kind of messages with CAR, but I did pay attention to what he wrote. I can't explain what it was about the man - why I paid attention, but clearly from the messages left here, he was Great. I figure it's for that reason the loss of a complete stranger I've only observed, has harped a sad string in me.

I think, if someone like me - basically a nobody, was in awe of the man from the least of exposure, a place like heaven holds a special seat for him.

I offer my condolences to RK, the family and to those that knew him. My thoughts and prays are going out to you and CAR.

Rest in Peace.

Matt.

I was so very upset yesterday when I learned of Chris' passing and I shared it with my family. I read some of the posts and poems written here to my daughter. She was inspired to write this poem in memory of her father, but I thought it might be appropriate to share with you all.

When you left this earth, you left me alone
You left this void, that I've had to fill on my own
Tears fell from my eyes yesterday and today
As I think of you and all that fades away

I was told you fought with honor
I was told you fought with pride
I was told you never faltered
I was told you never cried

No hero stands alone
Who stood by your side, brothers in arms.
But with an innate selfishness, I look only to you

Not knowing whether to remain in the past or to start anew

I hoped for a miracle, I hoped it wasn't so
Nothing will ever simple, until I let you go
If yesterday wasn't an endless road to follow
If today wasn't a bend to drive
If tomorrow wasn't a hill to climb
I might just survive

So give me strength
Show me a path so that I may rise
I love my fallen sailor, my guardian in disguise
I love you daddy, protect me as I close my eyes....
~K Blais~

I heard about this Saturday evening as I sat in the USO lounge doing a volunteer shift. In the midst of the sadness, I couldn't help but think, there was no better way to honor his memory than serving our troops. (damn those invisible dust particles, they keep getting in me eyes).
Be welcomed in the Halls of Valhalla SGM, for a Warrior you certainly were. Rest Easy. RK, you and your entire family are in my thoughts and prayers. Blessed Be

I am truly saddened and my heart goes out to you, Helen. When Mara and I were planning the DC linkup, we were wondering where car was and I even sent a PM, which went unanswered. I believe I will leave it in my inbox.

Blue skies, Sergeant Major.

I don't think words could ever sum up what a wonderful person he was - truly, a great man.
RK - my thoughts and prayers are with you....

What can I say that hasnt already been said here...

Chris was a mentor to many, a friend to most but beloved by everyone who crossed his path.

Today I remember solemnly the day we first met as well as the last time we talked.

Rest Easy SGM...

Helen if you ever need anything I am but a phone call away.

James

Well, I couldn't edit my previous post so I'll post again. Honestly after all the loss in my life you think you know what to say when another loses a loved one. What I do know is that the love lasts, it never goes away...and Chris's love will embrace Helen, her daughter and the rest of his family forever.

Helen, I read this often when a loved one dies...it's kind of comforting in a way. If you need anything, please let me know.

RIP Chris...

An Irish Funeral Prayer

Death is nothing at all.
It does not count.
I have only slipped away into the next room.
Everything remains as it was.
The old life that we lived so fondly together is untouched, unchanged.
Whatever we were to each other, that we are still.
Call me by the old familiar name.
Speak of me in the easy way which you always used.
Put no sorrow in your tone.
Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes that we enjoyed together.
Play, smile, think of me, pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household word that it always was.
Let it be spoken without effort
Life means all that it ever meant. It is the same as it ever was.
There is unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?
I am but waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just around the corner.
All is well. Nothing is hurt; nothing is lost.
One brief moment and all will be as it was before.
How we shall laugh at the trouble of parting, when we meet again.

Derived from a sermon written by Henry Scott Holland and delivered it in St. Paul's on 15 May 1910, at which time the body of King Edward VII was lying in state at Westminster (versions of this sermon have been used at many Irish funerals over the years).

I was in my office this morning when a retired SGM with whom I work stopped by and told me he had sad news. I was totally stunned when he said what happened.
I think it is a measure of the man when you realize all of the lives that he touched. I knew Chris as a co-worker, but can attest to the great efforts he put into being a Soldier and a leader. I know that the Army is better for his service, as I am sure are those who were close to him. I rarely cry, but this feels like a kick in the chest.

I had the opportunity to meet both Chris and Helen some time ago when they visited RB at our old office.

My sincere condolences from me and my family to Helen, the family and to those that knew him. My thoughts and prays are going out to Helen.

Rest in Peace Chris.

You will be remembered.

Bob

Rest easy, SGM. A respected Cold Warrior, and a leader; to me you were a man of few words, but they spoke volumes.

We'll no doubt see you on the other side. Semper Fi

I wish I had profound words or a great story to share. All I can say is the site and everyone who enjoys it lost a a great contributor while others have lost so much more.

RK you have my sincere condolences for your lost.

RIP SGM

I rarely cry, but this feels like a kick in the chest.

that's a good way to put it for me, too.

I will always remember Chris as both an inspiration and friend. there was never a situation he didn't have sage advice for, and there was never a time when he would leave you worse off than when he found you. He made this place (the world) and this site better for his presence, and what a presence it was. There is a large void where he used to be that will take a long time to heal.

Chris gave me the nickname "Witch Doc" even though I first heard it as "Witch Doctor" from crew chiefs in my flight company during my 1st tour. it always sounded better the way he said it, and he never called me anything else. it's a memory I'll always treasure. He was the one person that, when I wanted to hear words of confidence before I went to the E5 board, instead gave me the words I needed to hear: "Just be yourself. That's the reason they recommended you in the first place." I credit him with being the reason I did so well at that board. I also credit him with being the NCO i wanted to emulate the most. he embodied everything the NCO creed is and was - not just a clever corporate policy, but the words that forge a legacy of service and devotion; an oath to live one's life by.

it pains me to know that I will never get the satisfaction of hearing my glass clink with his, or to hear his voice rumble out his favorite toast - "to us, and those like us...." it's with a heavy heart, wet eyes, and a cold glass that I type this impromptu eulogy. Chris, you left too soon. you were young, happy, and full of life and wisdom. the world is a darker, emptier place with you gone. And no matter how much time passes, you will always be missed by those whose lives you touched. As someone put it so much better than I did - we are one fewer, and there are damn few of us left.

RIP Chris.

Back