Military Misconduct

Agree, to an extent....former CID here. Like anywhere else, things vary from office to office....CID has gone through the wringer from bad leadership, with it going more toward civilian agents like NCIS with civilian directors, you will get less interference and a better organization in the long run....but this change will take time. As far as promotions...there are only so many enlisted slots and WO slots per office.

Now, on the admin Officer side....they are usually more of a problem, as they do not investigate cases, but think they can.....freaking MP officers that come over and think they are Elliot Ness.

JAG varies from command to command....they also think they investigate cases....

On a side note, I was NG CID, when we deployed to Iraq, CID would take part of a AD unit and add USAR and NG agents to fill it out. Most reserve CID agents are civilian law enforcement, if there was a case that was a hot potato it was usually assigned to one of the reserve agents as we could not be intimidated by the chain of command and would push back hard.
Damn! Respect to you man, being in that occupation or position I would only imagine is hard. (I tread carefully on this) All that work just to turn over the evidence to a Commander who holds the judicial power over someone who did something wrong, just to possibly walk away. That is where I agree with you on Command influence that takes away from the investigative powers and judicial powers when it should be applied. As you stated, they're switching to civilians.

Had a joe switch to MP, I told him he should of went CID to actually gain some experience, but he is big shot MPI now (sarcastically speaking).

Damn! Respect to you man, being in that occupation or position I would only imagine is hard. (I tread carefully on this) All that work just to turn over the evidence to a Commander who holds the judicial power over someone who did something wrong, just to possibly walk away. That is where I agree with you on Command influence that takes away from the investigative powers and judicial powers when it should be applied. As you stated, they're switching to civilians.

Had a joe switch to MP, I told him he should of went CID to actually gain some experience, but he is big shot MPI now (sarcastically speaking).

It was a good gig, unfortunately...CID has gotten rid of all NG CID units and now only have Active and Reserve. I think they ultimately got tired of dealing with state politics and title 32.

Last edited:
It was a good gig, unfortunately...CID has gotten rid of all NG CID units and now only have Active and Reserve. I think they they ultimately got tired of dealing with state politics and title 32.

(The below is predicated on experiences through 2010...not one of you need do the math, okay?)

"That guy" hot take. Once the Guard leaves Federal service it becomes much more difficult to influence that soldier's/ airman's career. I've seen Guard E-7's tell an AD E-9 to fuck off, because they knew it wouldn't matter. That was Air Guard in 2010 I think. My experience from 2015-2021 reinforced that, so I don't think I'm an isolated anecdote.

I won't say a de-mobed Guard guy is untouchable, but it becomes much more difficult once they are off...Title 32? Title 10? It's been a minute.

(I think Kraut sees where I'm going, I'll spell it out for others)

Take the Guard out of the investigative process and now you have influence over Federal troops; it doesn't matter if they are AD or AR. Your command influence carries little weight to a State guy.
---
As a personal aside, I think CID is something that should be Guard and SF should be AR. I await your torches.

My wife is a retired JAG.
She is disgusted by the current crop of officers who just want convictions and maximum punishments for any wrong, actual or perceived.
Man O’ Man! I have witnessed this, good or bad. My ex-wife who is a JAG Officer, not only has she helped some old joes of mine, as stated in another comment she is ironically a TDS JAG officer, but we’ve had pillow talk about everything you stated. However, to say the least, she has shared with me some stuff that I’m glad those said individuals have been punished. I know it’s never good to want that for someone, as they say it’s always funny until it happens to yourself, well I also steer clear from dumb stuff.

AWP, I know a long time ago all combat units went into the Guard, thinking if a war happened it would be all hands on deck so NG would be activated, bad idea...but I get the thought in the old days of conventional war mentality.

I do agree SF should be a USAR asset that is already title 10....

The one thing I cannot remember...when did SF go NG? and what was the thought process for that move.

AWP, I know a long time ago all combat units went into the Guard, thinking if a war happened it would be all hands on deck so NG would be activated, bad idea...but I get the thought in the old days of conventional war mentality.

I do agree SF should be a USAR asset that is already title 10....

The one thing I cannot remember...when did SF go NG? and what was the thought process for that move.
I’m more than certain this comment isn’t meant for me to reply to, but I figured I comment(hope no one minds).

I was under the impression (I was never in the guard, so what I say please take it with a grain of salt) that due to the Guard having combat MOS’s and roles, they are their own entity. As cliche as that sounded, having SF in the guard was possibly built on that same thought process, again that is a big guess for the possibility as I was never SF, so I’m just throwing a lot of subjectivity into that. To include not relying on the big Army for their SF manpower for whatever reason.

As much time as I spent in the Army, I did always wonder why SF was in the guard and not USAR, as USAR does support the big Army. Again cliche, but just my .02 on it.

I am going to mess up these dates, but with noble intent; everyone can temper their pitchforks.

Late 80's/ early 90's it was decided to transfer Combat Arms to the Guard and a mix of CS/CSS to the Guard and Reserve. I'll address the Army side because the AF side is a bit...whatever. AR inherited the...442nd Infantry I think. NG inherited all other Infantry, Armor, Arty, Cav, SF units. NG and AR had a mix of CS and CSS units, though the USAR had more CSS and the NG had more CS units. I "think" PSYOP and CA were 100% or close within the USAR. The NG had units like MI battalions. The USAR shuttered their airborne SIGINT units (a dumb move, but I digress) and two SF groups.

I know I have gaps, so I welcome corrections.

I went through AIT and jump school in '93 with a guy who was an 11th Group PAO type. Great guy, but he knew his days were numbered when he shipped. I think he held on until early '95, but we lost contact.

SIGDET 3/20 acquired a former 11th Group 18E (New York) about '96. Fucking great guy, I miss him. Solid dude, great stories, he influenced my belief the USAR should inherit SF.

Wow...roundabout answer to your question, but I would say early 90's.

Guard had/has two Groups; 19th and 20th.
Army Reserve had two Groups; 11th and 12th.
Clinton cut the military in half. The powers that be decided that Combat Arms would go Guard, and support would go Reserve.

We were using a lot of support units to augment the AD, ARes is easier to use than the Guard, less politics.
I always assumed that is why the split was made that way.

So I saw someone on social media refer to the recent spurt of senior NCO firings as a "purge," like a political or social purge.

That is always a possibility, but from the limited info available it seems like an equal opportunity self-selection event.

I agree. When you drill down into the weeds, and sometimes it takes a few stories over time, almost every single one of these firings has a legit foundation.

My ex-wife who is a JAG Officer, not only has she helped some old joes of mine, as stated in another comment she is ironically a TDS JAG officer, but we’ve had pillow talk about everything you stated. However, to say the least, she has shared with me some stuff that I’m glad those said individuals have been punished. I know it’s never good to want that for someone, as they say it’s always funny until it happens to yourself, well I also steer clear from dumb stuff.

I definitely feel like I missed an essential component of the JAG experience, being sicced on legal assistance, then admin law, then operational law. I never really got the chance to make direct recommendations to commanders actually dishing things out. Definitely a great experience, don’t get me wrong. But part of me definitely wishes that I had the chance to stay on a bit longer to do that kind of thing on the line to a CoCDR.

Back