National Protest and 'disband the cops' discussion (please review page 1)

You and the peeps on my ignore list who seem to enjoy mocking me. It's no biggy though, as some of the quips and comparisons are rather humorous. That said, if we're going to partake in barracks talk don't be upset when I respond in kind.

As for using the report feature, I see no point in wasting the staff's time over petty insults. Staff is doing just fine.
“I’m not mad. I’m laughing, actually”

JFC. We just had a drive by at the Federal Courthouse in Phoenix, one officer down, supposedly in stable condition.

Suspect sought after shooting outside of Phoenix courthouse

Update: Suspect in custody

Person suspected of shooting federal officer outside courthouse in custody

Second shooting against officers in three days, Troopers all good, suspect in custody and driver at large.

Suspect arrested after trooper-involved shooting near 35th Ave and Roosevelt

That was quick, my phone just blared with a blue alert.

Another indication of the power of the media to shape public opinion and subsequent human behavior by excessively magnifying the perception of widespread violence by disproportionately broadcasting violent outliers among Black Lives Matter demonstrations.

93% of Black Lives Matter Protests Have Been Peaceful, New Report Finds

The study included everything from road barricades and petty vandalism to toppling statues, attacking businesses, and fighting back against the police in its broad definition of violence.

Another indication of the power of the media to shape public opinion and subsequent human behavior by excessively magnifying the perception of widespread violence by disproportionately broadcasting violent outliers among Black Lives Matter demonstrations.

The study included everything from road barricades and petty vandalism to toppling statues, attacking businesses, and fighting back against the police in its broad definition of violence.

It was brought up a couple of weeks ago when that was published, but are we supposed to judge it on a percentage or that actual cost of these riots? either figurative cost in votes going to Trump or actual cost of over a billion dollars. We can pretend that there isn't anything to see here, but that would be incredibly naive.

Exclusive: $1 billion-plus riot damage is most expensive in insurance history

It was brought up a couple of weeks ago when that was published, but are we supposed to judge it on a percentage or that actual cost of these riots?
Judge what? All the article did was link a report with statistics showing that the violence during Black Lives Matters demonstrations was nowhere near as prevalent or widespread as both the media and professional talking heads have claimed.
either figurative cost in votes going to Trump or actual cost of over a billion dollars. We can pretend that there isn't anything to see here, but that would be incredibly naive.
It's neither making a claim related to the total costs of damage incurred nor 'pretending' that 7% isn't anything to see here. Neither your point nor the article's findings are mutually exclusive to each other, and it is not helpful to the conversation to conflate the findings with an unwarranted conclusion that was never asserted.

Judge what? All the article did was link a report with statistics showing that the violence during Black Lives Matters demonstrations was nowhere near as prevalent or widespread as both the media and professional talking heads have claimed.It's neither making a claim related to the total costs of damage incurred nor 'pretending' that 7% isn't anything to see here. Neither your point nor the article's findings are mutually exclusive to each other, and it is not helpful to the conversation to conflate the findings with an unwarranted conclusion that was never asserted.

It's true in healthcare, it's true in social work, it is true in law enforcement especially in the disadvantaged neighborhoods, 10% of the people require 90% of the time and resources. If 93% of the riotors are peaceful and only 7% are responsible for billions of dollars of damage, I think that is absolutely conversation worth having. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting your last point.

Last edited:
Judge what? All the article did was link a report with statistics showing that the violence during Black Lives Matters demonstrations was nowhere near as prevalent or widespread as both the media and professional talking heads have claimed.It's neither making a claim related to the total costs of damage incurred nor 'pretending' that 7% isn't anything to see here. Neither your point nor the article's findings are mutually exclusive to each other, and it is not helpful to the conversation to conflate the findings with an unwarranted conclusion that was never asserted.

Well that's either being intentionally obtuse or just trying to mislead us by suggesting that you were only linking an article without commentary. Your commentary was specific in that the media is ingeniously showing "Another indication of the power of the media to shape public opinion and subsequent human behavior by excessively magnifying the perception of widespread violence by disproportionately broadcasting violent outliers among Black Lives Matter demonstrations."

The study also points out that they break it down block by block some times. So if five city blocks are burning, that can be counted as one violent protest, but the four blocks on the opposite sides of the burning ones can be counted as four separate peaceful protests.

Unfortunately, something as scientific as data can be skewed to meet any narrative. Without knowing their exact standards, this article and referenced report can be lumped into the pile of “media influencing people”.

Someone needs to explain to me how harassing people while they're eating dinner is an effective vote changing tactic. This is San Diego:

Glad to see the riots are back in Portland and Seattle. /snark

This report has been posted twice previously. Posts 2,110 and 2,195. Yes, they included everything, they get down to the nitty gritty like @JedisonsDad stated basically separating three blocks of one protest from the same protest because one place arson wasn't committed. Which is pretty damned selective.

Last edited:
Someone needs to explain to me how harassing people while they're eating dinner is an effective vote changing tactic. This is San Diego:

Glad to see the riots are back in Portland and Seattle. /snark

This report has been posted twice previously. Posts 2,110 and 2,195. Yes, they included everything, they get down to the nitty gritty like @JedisonsDad stated basically separating three blocks of one protest from the same protest because one place arson wasn't committed. Which is pretty damned selective.
The whole article reeks of bias on how they present the data

Even if we are to take the claim that only 7% of BLM protests are violent, IMO it only tells part of the story. I'd be interested to see the statistics, if any, regarding those who are apologists for such destructive/threatening behavior but do/did not directly participate.

Back