Out of curiosity... "What do you do"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell, that was common here in Kentucky. All the roads where dirt and in some backwoods shit. :D

Rode a damn cow one night and broke my collar bone. Naked, with cowboy boots on. No shit. :cool:

What happened to the cow? }:-)

Ahh, isn't that a contridiction? :confused:

Delta is a classified unit is it not?

I know the SAS is/was at least, a unit that you were not required/allowed to divulge.

Caveat: Based on books related opinion. I've read in one UKSAS guy's book that officially they're on the roll of their former unit, if anyone looks them up. Haney in his book said they had a cover unit, I forget what it was, that they said they were in.

At the airport a couple of times I processed guys who were clearly Group and asked them which Corps they're in..."Infantry." LOL. They were usually pretty easy to tell apart from RF guys in my experience.

As for myself, LE is a target for various gangs and other assorted charmers so to casual acquaintances I used to just say I did security work at the airport. It's true :D

Haney in his book said they had a cover unit, I forget what it was, that they said they were in.

Both that and telephone numbers for the Unit. The telephone numbers changed monthly. Only reason was so that Unit members could have a unit to list for car loans, home loans etc.

If that's too much info, please erase the post.

That makes sense. I don't see why they'd need to list a unit for loans though, but things probably happen differently down here- all you need (as far as employers go) is who you work for and your weekly income.

On a related note the whole Delta secret/not secret thing has been a bit of a farce in many ways.

Right now I say 'Aviation Ordnance'. I usually dumb it down for people and tell them "I build rockets and bombs for helicopters/fixed wing."

I think I might end up telling people "I'm a grunt" and that's it when I get selected. I don't like to talk much about work as it is.

Sounds like he is a underwater scuba sniper...

That's great!

With a water gun that looks just like an M40. Except it's see through neon green, a plastic orange trigger, and instead of a bolt there's the piece you pull out to fill it with water.....
Sorry, that image just popped in my head.

A&S or not, how can you be a grunt if you have never served in an infantry battalion?
I could just say Motor T, too. I've driven a humvee before.

edit:

Maybe I wasn't being verbose enough in my original comment. I don't really like talking about work as it is--and I probably won't want to talk much about work if I ever get around to ground side. If I'm going to claim somebody's MOS down the road, it'll probably be similar to what I'm actually doing--but simplified enough with a certain tone to avoid further discussion.

I don't really like casual conversation that involves "what's your job?" Maybe that's douchey, but it's how I operate. If some crusty ass lifer wearing his Vietnam Vet cap asks me what I do in the Marines I tell him specifically--I avoid details with civvies.

Now if you're talking about the Corps in general, being a Marine, or something along those lines--that's different.

I don't currently tell people that I'm a grunt, (because I'm not,) and I don't plan on telling people what I do 'casually' until I've actually done some things, (i.e. deployed with the team.) I don't mean any disrespect to grunts.

I could just say Motor T, too. I've driven a Humvee before.

That dosent make you motor T, at all. What you gonna do when the guy your talkin to says "me too"? Then you'll have to lie and lie an lie. Why lie in the first place? It's no secret MARSOC exsists. Tell them your an operator. Oh wait you wanna be James bond huh? Or maybe they are a scetchy character you don't trust. Tell them your your origional mos. You know the one you have now. That way your not gonna get caught up in a load of complete crap. Yea you won't look cool, but secret squirrels are never seen.

That dosent make you motor T, at all. What you gonna do when the guy your talkin to says "me too"? Then you'll have to lie and lie an lie. Why lie in the first place? It's no secret MARSOC exsists. Tell them your an operator. Oh wait you wanna be James bond huh? Or maybe they are a scetchy character you don't trust. Tell them your your origional mos. You know the one you have now. That way your not gonna get caught up in a load of complete crap. Yea you won't look cool, but secret squirrels are never seen.

I agree. Having a half-assed cover story is worse than having no cover story at all.

I could just say Motor T, too. I've driven a humvee before.

edit:

Maybe I wasn't being verbose enough in my original comment. I don't really like talking about work as it is--and I probably won't want to talk much about work if I ever get around to ground side. If I'm going to claim somebody's MOS down the road, it'll probably be similar to what I'm actually doing--but simplified enough with a certain tone to avoid further discussion.

I don't really like casual conversation that involves "what's your job?" Maybe that's douchey, but it's how I operate. If some crusty ass lifer wearing his Vietnam Vet cap asks me what I do in the Marines I tell him specifically--I avoid details with civvies.

Now if you're talking about the Corps in general, being a Marine, or something along those lines--that's different.

I don't currently tell people that I'm a grunt, (because I'm not,) and I don't plan on telling people what I do 'casually' until I've actually done some things, (i.e. deployed with the team.) I don't mean any disrespect to grunts.

I don't think you get it. Being part of MARSOC does not automatically make you a grunt. Hell there is even a school trained 0311 on this board who doesn't like to call himself a grunt because he has never served in a victor (infantry) unit. You will have plenty of time to come up with cool guy cover stories if you pass A&S and ITC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back