Post up Your pet pics, not Youtube

Ricky and DesiLu - the best dogs in the world.jpg

My Labs Ricky and Desilu.

For those of you not on facebook with me....Desi walked out onto that frozen pond about 25 feet before the ice broke and she was trapped in the small hole she created and couldn't climb out. I fell through the ice saving her from drowning - her limbs were seizing up because she had pretty much stopped swimming. After about 90 seconds in that water and I thought I was gonna die. Hypothermia is no frickin' joke!

Yes, I love my dogs...

Here's a video my Ricky loving about 2 feet of snow.

http://flic.kr/p/aWeg7v

My rescued collies, Pip and Casey. I lost both in this past 12 months. Don't know what's worse the surgeries, chemo or losing my pups. They were both about 12 years old. Pip had tumors and Casey's legs went out. I haven't been without a dog since 79, just feels too weird. They were both hanging outside the 3 season's room. Nevermind there's a doggie door downstairs and they could have been inside by the fireplace.

PipandCasey.jpg

Yep, collies are just very amiable, they put up with other animals, kids tugging at them. Sweet dogs. I call them the supermodels of dogs, beautiful to look at but not brainiacs. Pip was 30 lbs when I adopted him, he had been starved and beaten. We renamed him since we had Great Expectations. I was on my way back from looking at collie pups and someone from the collie rescue league asked me to stop by at a friend who was temporarily keeping a new rescue. I was sitting on the sofa and they brought him to me. He sat right next to my feet, leaned on my legs and looked up at me. My husband said he knew I was a goner.

Poor Casey, I had just gotten out of the hospital from a surgery and she went down, screaming in pain. She had been dragging for several months So at 3 am in the morning I took her to the vet. I had a dozen staples and I'm not supposed to lift anything. I had to drive 10 miles to get to a 24hour vet, hopped up on painkillers, bawling my eyes out. I cannot believe how few 24 hour vets there are in the Winston area, it was that one or the next closest was Greensboro, really? I'm lucky in Fayetteville, one is about 2 minutes away.

Here's my Springer Spaniel mix (rescued from pound in San Angelo, TX) enjoying camping in Colorado. He met his first mule deer on this trip: he likes 'em!

View attachment 5298

Rushed him to the doggie ER last night at 2230 because we couldn't get his nosebleed to stop (at first I thought he'd been shot but the bright red blood wasn't frothy and couldn't find entry/exit). He pretty much trashed the back seat of my Tacoma and the waiting room looked like we'd been slaughtering pigs or something.

Docs couldn't find out why his nose wouldn't stop bleeding so they sedated him, packed his snout, and kept him overnight. X-rays revealed an abnormally large liver causing his a distended belly (thought he was just getting old & fat) and his bloodwork had his white cell count literally off the chart with some liver enzymes sort of high too. They sent his blood swap off to the lab for more analysis but prelim finding is he's pretty f'd up inside but not sure what all is going on. The "C" word was repeatedly ref'd. Oh, his blood pressure was high even drugged up and he has a heart murmer too.

We brought him home today and he's still under the sedation so he's acting odd (hind legs shaking alot) but eating and drinking. We're just trying to keep him comfortable. He's by far the best dog we've ever had.

Rushed him to the doggie ER last night at 2230 because we couldn't get his nosebleed to stop (at first I thought he'd been shot but the bright red blood wasn't frothy and couldn't find entry/exit). He pretty much trashed the back seat of my Tacoma and the waiting room looked like we'd been slaughtering pigs or something.

Docs couldn't find out why his nose wouldn't stop bleeding so they sedated him, packed his snout, and kept him overnight. X-rays revealed an abnormally large liver causing his a distended belly (thought he was just getting old & fat) and his bloodwork had his white cell count literally off the chart with some liver enzymes sort of high too. They sent his blood swap off to the lab for more analysis but prelim finding is he's pretty f'd up inside but not sure what all is going on. The "C" word was repeatedly ref'd. Oh, his blood pressure was high even drugged up and he has a heart murmer too.

We brought him home today and he's still under the sedation so he's acting odd (hind legs shaking alot) but eating and drinking. We're just trying to keep him comfortable. He's by far the best dog we've ever had.

Hope everything turns out all right. Keep us posted!

That's terrible lindy. :( Ugh, he's a beautiful guy, I hope the prognosis is better than expected...

I am sorry to hear about your friend Lindy. I was in your shoes this past Easter with my Chocolate Lab Sadie. Some times the body will see the dog's own platelets as an enemy and begin chewing them up in response. High doses of steroids (Prednisone) can quiet things down some, and help things get sorted out. The enlarged liver, and elevated enzymes suggest some liver event going on as well, this can also impact blood clotting. I pray that this passes quickly and that all can get back to normal for you both. Please keep us posted.

RF 1

Back